TV MAFiA: RESULTS

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 4:11:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Congratulations, Town!

Winners: Puck, Alex, belle, Nags, sac8, Korashk, mongoose, Leafrod, mongeese, Zetsubou

Losers: Vi, SportsGuru, Panda, xxdarkxx / WJM / ccstate4peat

== MODERATOR REVIEW ==

In small themed games like this, I tend to think that the advantage is most definitely against the mafia. For instance, in a DBZ based game, it'd be hard for the mafia to claim roles and the bad guys would be obvious. For this reason, I decided to throw in a few things that I think helped the mafia or rather balanced out the game. I'd appreciate any feedback :)

Mafia Advantages

I made 2/5 of the players mafia which I thought was a fair ratio. Additionally, I gave the mafia both a Godfather and a Role Blocker. I also think that the theme I chose made it plausible for the mafia to come up with good fake claims (for instance, I thought the Myth Busters role claim was really good as was CSI the Forensic Investigator). Moreover, I made a few of the townie roles difficult to prove such as the Vanilla Townie and Miller.

The role I gave SportsGuru (The Apprentice) was a plausible role that could easily be a townie role, and for awhile it worked. Another thing I did was make some townie roles limited (which I think is very helpful in a small game -- for instance the watcher and vigilante could only work every other night, and a role like sac8's was limited). sac8's role was confirmable (as we saw) but it was also new/original so the mafia would have used that against sac to get him lynched.

Finally, I gave them a sort of Beloved Princess role which would have worked in their favor; in other words sort of a sacrificial kill that required some strategic use (see roles). Unfortunately the mafia made some key mistakes that ultimately led to their demise. Still, I think the advantages I gave them made the game very fair and the town just legitimately prevailed.

Townie Advantages

Because I know what it's like to be an early target, I gave Puck the role of Bulletproof. The mafia tried to kill him and failed twice. The other night they failed they targeted mongeese, the Doctor, who was protecting himself. By allowing the Doctor to protect himself, the town essentially had 2 Bulletproof roles which made it nearly impossible for 1 mafioso to win as we saw at the end of the game. I also helped them by giving them a vig, and a doctor and cop who could work every night.

Unfair Advantages

One mistake I made was allowing the dead mason (mongoose) to talk in the mason thread after death. I thought he'd just be strategizing, but it turns out him and mongeese resorted to some secret twin code in order to confirm another townie player: Zetsubou. At that point, Zetsubou was acting SO SHADY (listen - undoubtedly from a mod perspective he is 100% the worst mafia player) so if I hadn't given mongoose that luxury, Zetsubou probably would have been lynched. Instead he was able to be confirmed and a mafioso was lynched that day. This was an unfair advantage to the town and I apologize.

However, at another point WJM mistakenly posted our entire PM convo in the day phase thread, which while I prohibited, he was kind of lied to by the other players - all town. I let it go and he was spared for 1 more day phase.

Why The Mafia Lost

The mafia's first mistake was getting Panda killed on dp1. Having a role blocker would have helped them immensely. Second, SportsGuru supposedly did something to make him look suspicious after people had originally thought he was "probably innocent." I don't remember what it was (I missed it).

Third, they never utilized WJM's role. If they had gotten him lynched during the dp, they could have skipped a day phase meaning they could have gotten 2 kills in a row. Instead, they let other people get lynched before him and him being the last one alive made his role useless. Another thing - the mafia had THREE failed night kills. On np1 they targeted Puck. On np2 they targeted mongeese. Vi had thought Puck was doctor, and she didn't want the mafia to lynch Puck on np3. However, that's when we had a bunch of internet problems so her team democratically voted to kill Puck and they had yet another night kill fail.

Additionally, some of the townie roles were more far-fetched (i.e. The L Word as Bulletproof). This could have been used to get Puck lynched, or make the vigilante waste a night kill on him. All of these things could have been played to the mafia's advantage if they had strategized a bit more, which I thought that group might (especially after they got WJM).

Props

SportsGuru copied Vi's role which I thought was very clever. While it allowed him to come up innocent upon investigation (every other night - that was my limited provision) this kind of went to waste as soon as Nags, the cop, got lynched early on. Also Vi's fake claim was great, as was WJM's (originally Dark's).

MVP: Probably Puck - good job

== REVIEW OF ROLES ==

* Town *

1. LOST - Jack of All Trades

2. AC 360 - Reporter ----> One night you may investigate a player's role (not alignment), and on the other night you may investigate what TV show (character) another player is, but not their role alignment.

3. HOUSE - Doctor ----> Could protect self (in true House, selfish fashion)

4. DEXTER - Vigilante

5. SEINFELD - Vanilla

6. WEEDS - Miller

7. LAW AND ORDER - Cop

8. SEX AND THE CITY - Mason Recruiter (up to 4 masons)

9. BIG BROTHER - Watcher

10. THE L WORD - Bulletproof

* Mafia *

1. THE TUDORS - the Beloved King. Your show's protagonist (King Henry VIII) was a special figure and as such this is a special role I made up for this game. Like the Beloved Princess, the town will forfeit a day phase if they lynch you. However, the mafia will suffer no consequences if you die during the night. You win with the mafia.

^ This was WJM's role they failed to utilize.

2. INTERVENTION - Role Blocker

3. THE SOPRANOS - Godfather

4. THE APPRENTICE - Role Copier

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Questions , Comments , Concerns?
President of DDO
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 4:24:45 PM
This was intense, and I'm prpbably going to start signup for my game now being that Alex's game is over too and there is no problem with 2 PM games going at the same time as to not bump off wjm.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 4:35:54 PM
You may wanna switch my name with Jblakes since he replaced me, anyways i really wish i got to play that, being joat woulda been awesome and my first time.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 7:36:29 PM
At 7/4/2010 7:32:54 PM, LeafRod wrote:
I was proud of myself for suspecting SportsGuru and Panda, but after that I didn't have too many leads.

You did a good job, although you were a little harsh after you died.

Thanks for the game. I think I will play more mafia forums.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 7:45:10 PM
At 7/4/2010 7:42:34 PM, LeafRod wrote:
Hahaha no hard feelings dude.

Ha, no hard feelings. You're obviously a pretty smart guy, so I can take it from you ;)
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 8:29:02 PM
Secret twin code ftw.

Although, it wasn't so much a code as it was Zets saying things that only mongoose or myself could know, thus confirming that Zets could contact mongoose, thus confirming him.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2010 8:32:09 PM
In my defense, if I wasn't able to talk in the mason thread, I was going to stall out the night phase, tell Zets all the information I could possibly think of in any situation, and make him tell it back to me in different words. I'd have also mentioned mongeese's favorite food.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 6:53:06 AM
At 7/4/2010 8:32:09 PM, mongoose wrote:
In my defense, if I wasn't able to talk in the mason thread, I was going to stall out the night phase, tell Zets all the information I could possibly think of in any situation, and make him tell it back to me in different words. I'd have also mentioned mongeese's favorite food.

While this is true, you had no idea that you were going to still be able to talk until the mason thread until AFTER your death. At that point, you didn't tell Zetsubou any of that. He would have never known any of those things to confirm his innocence, and he actually *didn't mention Vi at all* after your failed recruit, and instead voted for someone else (mongeese the doctor!).

The only reason he even brought up Vi was because you encouraged him to do so after you died. Had you not "confirmed" him, he was on his way to being lynched - so the watcher would have died instead of the Godfather [and the watcher also helped take out WJM later on]. Zetsubou is just quite clearly the most clueless player. Another thing - the town suspected his role claim because I ended the night phase before he got on. Instead of telling the town that his role was usable EVERY OTHER NIGHT he kept insisting that I skipped him and his night action. *Rolls Eyes* lol.
President of DDO
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2010 10:34:57 AM
At 7/5/2010 6:53:06 AM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/4/2010 8:32:09 PM, mongoose wrote:

While this is true, you had no idea that you were going to still be able to talk until the mason thread until AFTER your death. At that point, you didn't tell Zetsubou any of that. He would have never known any of those things to confirm his innocence, and he actually *didn't mention Vi at all* after your failed recruit, and instead voted for someone else (mongeese the doctor!).

The only reason he even brought up Vi was because you encouraged him to do so after you died. Had you not "confirmed" him, he was on his way to being lynched - so the watcher would have died instead of the Godfather [and the watcher also helped take out WJM later on]. Zetsubou is just quite clearly the most clueless player. Another thing - the town suspected his role claim because I ended the night phase before he got on. Instead of telling the town that his role was usable EVERY OTHER NIGHT he kept insisting that I skipped him and his night action. *Rolls Eyes* lol.

No, I asked if I would be able to talk before I died.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.