Jump to topic:

Can someone find the slope of the tangent lin

MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 4:39:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Not enough room in the topic title to put what I was asking for but here it is...

f(x)=1/(square root of(3x+1))

Can someone find the slope and provide work?

Thank you.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2015 6:02:13 PM
At 2/10/2015 4:39:50 PM, MasturDbtor wrote:
Not enough room in the topic title to put what I was asking for but here it is...

Thank you.

Why does everyone have to be in differential calculus...it makes me feel dumb. ;_;
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 1:06:52 AM

Thank you.

Lol, I took this back in high school, but strangely enough, I'm taking differential equations in college right now (after Calc 3, strangely) and just did one of these the other day. This'll probably be a bit messy, but I'll try it and write it out.

You may want to try, for future reference, wolframalpha.com. They provide step-by-step solutions (or just solutions - which you may want, since paying is a bit silly) to differential and integration problems. I'm obviously not suggesting to use it in place of doing out the problems, but it's a good way to check your answers.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 1:09:32 AM
On second thought.....I should be doing my own math homework and this was posted 8 hours ago, lol.

That, and I started taking the derivative and got scared away by the massive chain rule, lol.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 9:12:17 AM

Thank you.

Do your own homework
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 6:04:58 PM
I won't give the answer, because that defeats the purpose of homework, but I will elaborate on the process. You just take the derivative of the function (as you do for pretty much everything in basic Calc). A tangent line is just one that runs through a given point with the slope the function has at that point, so you just plug the x-coordinate into the derivative and BAM!
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2015 7:49:33 PM
Note that W30;(3x + 1) = (3x + 1)^(")

By chain rule dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx:

u = 3x + 1
du/dx = 3
y = u^(")
dy/du = 1/(2u^("))

f'(x) = 3/(2u^("))
=> 3/(2W30;(3x + 1))

Hence, f'(a) = 3/(2W30;(3a + 1))
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%