Total Posts:44|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Martial Arts...

studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:18:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have to say karate, because that's the only type of martial art that I have been taught. I received a black belt when I was eleven, but I quit shortly after because it was tedious.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:18:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:18:32 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I have to say karate, because that's the only type of martial art that I have been taught. I received a black belt when I was eleven, but I quit shortly after because it was tedious.

When I say tedious, I mean the whole process of training and competing in karate. Same thing day in and day out.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:20:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:18:32 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I have to say karate, because that's the only type of martial art that I have been taught. I received a black belt when I was eleven, but I quit shortly after because it was tedious.

How come earlier you said "martial arts vs. karate," yet here you claim that karate is a type of martial art (which is true).
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:22:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:20:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:18:32 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
I have to say karate, because that's the only type of martial art that I have been taught. I received a black belt when I was eleven, but I quit shortly after because it was tedious.

How come earlier you said "martial arts vs. karate," yet here you claim that karate is a type of martial art (which is true).

I was confused. After all, the only type of martial art that I have studied is karate. It's one of those brain farts that you are able to correct in the next couple of minutes after making the initial mistake.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:26:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
i've never done any martial arts, but my younger brother did taekwondo for ages until he dropped out because he was expected to do a back flip off a chair to move onto the next belt. funny i thought.
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:29:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:27:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Krav Maga is the most bada$s martial art. Enough said.

mine hasn't made it mainstream yet. just wait.
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:36:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:29:55 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:27:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Krav Maga is the most bada$s martial art. Enough said.

mine hasn't made it mainstream yet. just wait.

I don't think Krav Maga is mainstream either. It's mostly just used by the Israeli military.
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:38:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:36:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:29:55 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:27:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Krav Maga is the most bada$s martial art. Enough said.

mine hasn't made it mainstream yet. just wait.

I don't think Krav Maga is mainstream either. It's mostly just used by the Israeli military.

krav maga is just about kicking the other person in the balls as much as possible isn't it? or was the simpsons lying?
signature
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:39:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:38:44 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:36:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:29:55 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:27:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Krav Maga is the most bada$s martial art. Enough said.

mine hasn't made it mainstream yet. just wait.

I don't think Krav Maga is mainstream either. It's mostly just used by the Israeli military.

krav maga is just about kicking the other person in the balls as much as possible isn't it? or was the simpsons lying?

No, it's more about disarming your opponent and basically doing anything to stay alive.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2010 5:43:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/10/2010 5:38:44 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:36:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:29:55 PM, badger wrote:
At 7/10/2010 5:27:56 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Krav Maga is the most bada$s martial art. Enough said.

mine hasn't made it mainstream yet. just wait.

I don't think Krav Maga is mainstream either. It's mostly just used by the Israeli military.

krav maga is just about kicking the other person in the balls as much as possible isn't it? or was the simpsons lying?

Krav Maga is widely considered to be one of the deadliest forms of martial arts.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 3:01:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So, which is better for reallife use? I guess Teakwondo is the best for me because it is solely for tournament and defensive use only. Any other ideas?
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 4:56:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/11/2010 3:01:12 PM, cjl wrote:
So, which is better for reallife use? I guess Teakwondo is the best for me because it is solely for tournament and defensive use only. Any other ideas?

First time I thought it was just a spelling error ... Teak is a type of tree.

Taekwondo.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 5:11:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/11/2010 3:01:12 PM, cjl wrote:
So, which is better for reallife use? I guess Teakwondo is the best for me because it is solely for tournament and defensive use only. Any other ideas?

Sambo is also a fairly practical martial art. Honestly, I would think that stuff like competing in tournaments would lessen the practical application of a martial art.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 6:58:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I like Wing Chun Kung Fu because Bruce Lee rocks. ^_-
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 7:21:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/11/2010 7:07:11 PM, cjl wrote:
Bruce Lee is terrible!!!

(:O) :SHOCK:

That, more than anything I've ever seen written on this site.. is sacrilege.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2010 7:34:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/11/2010 7:07:11 PM, cjl wrote:
Bruce Lee is terrible!!!

What blasphemy is this?!
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
cjl
Posts: 1,073
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 2:03:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/11/2010 7:21:04 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 7/11/2010 7:07:11 PM, cjl wrote:
Bruce Lee is terrible!!!

(:O) :SHOCK:

That, more than anything I've ever seen written on this site.. is sacrilege.

Bruce Lee is a not a special actor! Vin Diesal(spelling?) is way better!
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2010 3:27:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/12/2010 3:25:14 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/11/2010 7:07:11 PM, cjl wrote:
Bruce Lee is terrible!!!

Vote to lynch: cjl

Seconded. Vote to lynch cjl.