Jump to topic:

Would you be one of the 10,000?

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:03:09 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Assuming that Sword Art Online was real, and when the 10,000 copies were distributed you were able to get your hands on one of the 10,000 copies, if you somehow had full knowledge of what would end up happening (assuming that you were unable to warn anyone else of what was going to happen) would you be one of the 10,000who got trapped inside the game?
(I know this probably belongs in the entertainment forum, but what the heck; this is miscellaneous-ish and nobody seems to use this forum anyway.)
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:03:31 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:03:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Assuming that Sword Art Online was real, and when the 10,000 copies were distributed you were able to get your hands on one of the 10,000 copies, if you somehow had full knowledge of what would end up happening (assuming that you were unable to warn anyone else of what was going to happen) would you be one of the 10,000who got trapped inside the game?
(I know this probably belongs in the entertainment forum, but what the heck; this is miscellaneous-ish and nobody seems to use this forum anyway.)

Hell yes.
RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:03:47 PM

Even if I die, it might be the best two years of my life. :P
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:05:55 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:03:31 PM, RevNge wrote:

Hell yes.

That would be the response of most people, but it's a harder choice than you may think.
For instance, you wouldn't have any contact with friends or family for (slightly over) 2 years.
Plus, when you woke up you would realize that you hadn't moved your body in 2 years.

The DDO Blog:

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:09:08 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:05:55 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Hell yes.

That would be the response of most people, but it's a harder choice than you may think.
For instance, you wouldn't have any contact with friends or family for (slightly over) 2 years.

That's the biggest downside for me, but I'd probably still go. I'll think of it as a two-year trip to paradise. :3
Plus, when you woke up you would realize that you hadn't moved your body in 2 years.

That's not too big of a downside. Simply as if you're waking up in a coma (I just hope I don't die of malnourishment .-.)
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:10:51 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:09:08 PM, RevNge wrote:

Hell yes.

That's the biggest downside for me, but I'd probably still go. I'll think of it as a two-year trip to paradise. :3

That's not too big of a downside. Simply as if you're waking up in a coma (I just hope I don't die of malnourishment .-.)

Then, there'd be the moral issue. That is, somebody else would most likely be footing the bill for keeping your body on life support for 2 years.

The DDO Blog:

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:13:12 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:10:51 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Hell yes.

Then, there'd be the moral issue. That is, somebody else would most likely be footing the bill for keeping your body on life support for 2 years.

I already thought of that, so I wouldn't take that offer right now. Probably when I'm in college so I can save enough money for such treatment.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:13:15 PM

Hell yes.

This last one would probably hold me back.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:14:15 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:13:12 PM, RevNge wrote:

Hell yes.

I already thought of that, so I wouldn't take that offer right now. Probably when I'm in college so I can save enough money for such treatment.

Good call. There'd be less moral implications if you footed the bill yourself.

The DDO Blog:

BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:17:20 PM
No, because real life would suck after being in the game world for 2 years, where you have super powers, can make food in 10% of the time, and can teleport to any location at will.

I was really surprised they never brought this up. This is one of the biggest if not the biggest issue with the idea of virtual simulators imo.
Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:24:17 PM

Hell yes.

How is that a moral issue? You think your life is worth less than someone elses money?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:25:02 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:17:20 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
No, because real life would suck after being in the game world for 2 years, where you have super powers, can make food in 10% of the time, and can teleport to any location at will.

I was really surprised they never brought this up. This is one of the biggest if not the biggest issue with the idea of virtual simulators imo.

Partially true. You would, however, want to see your family and friends again in the aftermath. Plus, I hear that the graphics in SAO were of slightly lower quality than reality. Also, you would not be in danger and you could live a meaningful life in contrast to wasting it on a video game.
Real life would not "suck" as much as you might think.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:26:09 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:24:17 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Hell yes.

How is that a moral issue? You think your life is worth less than someone elses money?

No, but you'd be forcing somebody else to pay for your "adventure". It's wrong.

The DDO Blog:

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:29:59 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:26:09 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Hell yes.

In the end someone would have to foot the bill for the 99,999 others. You think it's wrong just because you knew you'd get to participate in what would probably be literally a once in a lifetime experience? IIRC in the TV show the company had to pay because it was their fault. So how is that immoral?
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:34:19 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:29:59 PM, Bennett91 wrote:

Hell yes.

In the end someone would have to foot the bill for the 99,999 others. You think it's wrong just because you knew you'd get to participate in what would probably be literally a once in a lifetime experience? IIRC in the TV show the company had to pay because it was their fault. So how is that immoral?

If it were the company I'd feel a bit better about that.
But still, in this case I would've chosen to enter the game, aware that I'd be trapped.

The DDO Blog:

Bennett91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:36:26 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:34:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Hell yes.

But still, in this case I would've chosen to enter the game, aware that I'd be trapped.

Yea i would have gone in too. Sure there'd be an increased risk of death, but it'd be awesome lol.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2015 7:38:04 PM
At 3/3/2015 7:36:26 PM, Bennett91 wrote:
At 3/3/2015 7:34:19 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Hell yes.

Yea i would have gone in too. Sure there'd be an increased risk of death, but it'd be awesome lol.

I definitely would enjoy it...for the first 6 months or so. Then it would grow old.

The DDO Blog:

vampiress
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 5:58:00 PM
No because that's analogous to going to war for 2 years, once you come back, all that's waiting is hallucinations and alienation.
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 6:17:32 PM

I would.
I imagine I'd do quite well as a mercenary.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2015 6:36:01 PM
At 3/7/2015 6:17:32 PM, YamaVonKarma wrote:

I would.
I imagine I'd do quite well as a mercenary.

So you would not be a permanent member of any guild?

The DDO Blog: