Pure Mafia II Results

wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 1:30:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Winners: (5)
Mafia: alex_hanson911, Vi_Veri, (mongeese)
Mafia Usurper: mongeese
Mole: SportsGuru
Speculator: Korashk

In addition to his normal win condition, the Mole (SportsGuru) succeeded in getting an additional day in a row without the town lynching a mafioso.

Losers (8)
Town: InsertNameHere, Nags, LeafRod, JBlake, mongoose, xxdarkxx, atheism
Serial Killer: theLwerd

--ROLES--
You are the mole. You win if the town fails to lynch a mafia for two consequtive day phases. You can target one player per night and learn their allegiance.
Note that this was the "cop" role. The mole should have claimed cop after DP1 for an auto-win, imo. He could then have either won by cc, or if there wasn't a cop, by framing the person he'd just investigated as innocent to be guilty. Auto win.

You are the mafia usurper. You win if the mafia become a majority and if the godfather is dead.

You are the mafia godfather. You win if the mafia become a majority.

You are the mafia regular. You win if the mafia become a majority.

You are the serial killer. You win if you are the last player left alive. You cannot be killed at night and can kill one player per night.

You are the tracker. You win if the mafia are eliminated. You can choose one person per night and learn whom they visit.

You are the watcher. You win if the mafia are eliminated. You can choose one person per night and learn who visited them.

You are the speculator. You win if on a day phase before you die you correctly guess the player who is lynched.

You are the doctor. You win if the mafia are eliminated. You can choose one person per night and protect them from night kills.

You are the agent. You win if the mafia are eliminated. You can send anonymous messages through your role thread to any player in the game.

You are a drone. You win if the mafia are eliminated. You must declare your vote in your role PM before each day phase for it to count.

You are a mute. You win if the mafia are eliminated. You cannot talk in the day phase, but you can submit your vote through your role PM. At night, you may write the town a letter that will be posted at the beginning of the next day phase.

You are the virgin. You win if the mafia are eliminated. You can select one person once at any point in the game and that person will join you in a PM.

--TOWN--
Dead players are marked with an X.
XTRACKER-INSERTNAMEHERE
XWATCHER-NAGS
XDOCTOR-LEAFROD
XAGENT-JBLAKE
XDRONE-XXDARKXX
MUTE-MONGOOSE
VIRGIN-ATHEISM

--MAFIA--
USURPER-MONGEESE
XGODFATHER-VI_VERI
REGULAR-ALEX_HANSON911

--3rd PARTY--
XMOLE-SPORTSGURU
XSERIAL KILLER-THE_LWERD
XSPECULATOR-KORASHK

Original prediction: Serial Killer and Mole victory.

Day Phase 1: No Lynch

Night Phase 1:
Atheism marries theLwerd.
InsertNameHere tracks Nags.
Nags watches mongeese.
LeafRod doctors Vi_Veri.
xxdarkxx votes Nags.
Vi_Veri kills theLwerd.
theLwerd kills xxdarkxx.
Korashk guesses mongoose.
SportsGuru investigates LeafRod.

Day Phase 2: Vi_Veri

Night Phase 2:
InsertNameHere tracks SportsGuru.
Nags watches theLwerd.
LeafRod doctors theLwerd.
mongeese kills JBlake.
theLwerd kills InsertNameHere.
Korashk guesses LeafRod.
SportsGuru investigates atheism.

Day Phase 3: LeafRod

Night Phase 3:
Nags watches Korashk.
mongeese kills theLwerd.
theLwerd kills Korashk.
SportsGuru investigates theLwerd.

Day Phase 4: theLwerd

Night Phase 4:
Nags watches SportsGuru.
mongeese makes alex_hanson911 kill Nags.
SportsGuru investigates Nags.

Day Phase 5 Prediction: SportsGuru
Day Phase 5: SportsGuru

--Discussion--
==Balance==
The mafia were complaining that they were small and vanilla at the same time, so I've compiled a list of reasons the game was, in fact, balanced.
-The Cop was third party and had the goal of making the town fail.
-Two of the townies (mute and drone) were limited in their day phase influence.
-There were four new roles and no characters to justify them. None of these roles were mafia.
-At the beginning of Day Phase IV, the town was a minority.
-Oh hey look, they won!
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 1:33:28 AM
==The Mole==
Instead of working against the town, the mole worked for the mafia because of the way I'd set him up. Next time, I'll make the mole have to get the town to lynch townies for two days in a row instead. Using himself and the serial killer was too easy. He became the same as a Mafia Traitor, with the exception of having investigative abilities.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 1:37:55 AM
==The Serial Killer==
I was really hoping this would be the first game with a serial killer victory. There were two other third parties that worked against the town, the town had no cop or vigilante, and the mafia was small. In addition, luck put theLwerd (a great player, in my opinion) as the Serial Killer. Had she not targeted Korashk (and I'm still not sure why she chose him over Nags) she would have probably won.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 1:44:58 AM
==SportsGuru==
He did a fantastic job with his role claim. The town was convinced it was legitimate. I do believe that he'd pushed it by trying to get himself lynched (and the only reason he was lynched the last day phase was because the mafia knew they'd win as long as they weren't lynched themselves; they believed him), but most everybody believed his poet claim. He did a great job putting the town into the minority, though I think he should have claimed cop day phase 2, as explained earlier, but one can't expect him to think of everything.
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 1:47:20 AM
At 7/18/2010 1:44:58 AM, wjmelements wrote:
==SportsGuru==
He did a fantastic job with his role claim. The town was convinced it was legitimate. I do believe that he'd pushed it by trying to get himself lynched (and the only reason he was lynched the last day phase was because the mafia knew they'd win as long as they weren't lynched themselves; they believed him), but most everybody believed his poet claim. He did a great job putting the town into the minority, though I think he should have claimed cop day phase 2, as explained earlier, but one can't expect him to think of everything.

So sportsguru didn't need to post the way he did?
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 3:59:43 AM
I'd like to apologize to the town. I just picked one of you at random to lie about. Too bad it was the doctor and not a mafia.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 6:11:33 AM
At 7/18/2010 1:47:20 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 7/18/2010 1:44:58 AM, wjmelements wrote:
==SportsGuru==

So sportsguru didn't need to post the way he did?

No, I made the role up. For those you did not get it, I posted in the style of an English sonnet, iambic pentameter included. I went all out figuring that a ridiculous requirement such as that would seem to not be something I would impose on myself.

Of course, now I am having a big *facepalm* for not claiming cop Day Phase 2, but hey, if I did that the game would have been less fun. :P
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 6:14:21 AM
I also apologise to the town. Since I had investigated athiesm, I knew on the last day phase whom the 2 mafioso were (mongeese and alex). However, wjm said I would get a special mention if I could succede 3 days in a row, rather than out the 2 mafia and turn the game for the town. I was greedy and thus the town lost
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 6:45:08 AM
Wow. The town's luck was terrible. The serial killer killed only townies. Korashk took down a townie. Darn.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 6:48:30 AM
At 7/18/2010 1:37:55 AM, wjmelements wrote:
==The Serial Killer==
I was really hoping this would be the first game with a serial killer victory. There were two other third parties that worked against the town, the town had no cop or vigilante, and the mafia was small. In addition, luck put theLwerd (a great player, in my opinion) as the Serial Killer. Had she not targeted Korashk (and I'm still not sure why she chose him over Nags) she would have probably won.

The only reason I killed Korashk over Nags is because I had no idea that Korashk was lying about his role... how would I have known that? If he could really investigate roles like he said, then it was only a matter of time before he checked out mine. I am an early target. There was always the hope that Nags wouldn't watch Korashk (whereas I felt an investigation on me was a guarantee). Plus I was going to claim vigilante/JOAT so I didn't care if I had gotten watched. SportsGuru's investigation killed me. Lame. As I said, there is no way for a serial killer to win this game (ever) UNLESS they come up innocent upon investigation. Once I knew I wouldn't then this game was boring as I never stood a chance anyway. Wjm did you really think *I* wouldn't be investigated? Think about it. If that didn't happen I probs could have worked something out to win. I was trying to get mongeese lynched as I really thought he was the survivor lol.
President of DDO
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 7:09:15 AM
If you look at it, it was a 3/7 ratio, with another person trying to get the mafia not lynched. We had no cop. A third-party role killed the doctor. The serial killer killed no mafiosos. Two townie roles (drone and mute) were terrible and a hindrance.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 7:15:51 AM
I do admit that this was a game biased against the town (which you don't see very often). I guess wjm assumed I'd have killed a mafioso. Well I didn't know mongeese was mafia (I thought wjm had made me the serial killer and mongeese the survivor) and also I had to kill the roles that I thought would hurt me. For instance, Insert could have tracked me (I'm a night time investigation target) and see that I was responsible for one of the kills. I had to kill her.

In retrospect I woulda claimed vig and kept her alive. I had to kill Korashk cuz I thought he would investigate me. I killed Dark cuz I was high and forgot he role claimed so my bad lol. I probs woulda killed Vi that night had I been paying attention. Anyway it's in my best interest to keep the mafia alive, as they help me eliminate the town - and they can't hurt me at night (I was Bulletproof). So I do agree that mongoose that the town was kinda SOL. But hey you live and learn.
President of DDO
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 7:16:07 AM
Complaining? No.

mongeese: "This seems to be a really, really underpowered Mafia. I hope the town is equally underpowered."

mongeese: "Okay, I think something is up. We have no power roles and only one passive role (Godfather), and we have 3/13 members, less than the suggested 1/4 minimum. Perhaps we're fighting a vanilla town? That's the only real explanation for why we're so weak."

mongeese: "This game seems so off-balance. Of course, there's a drone and a mute, so..."
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 7:24:17 AM
At 7/18/2010 7:17:00 AM, theLwerd wrote:
The only edge in mongoose and Dark's role was that I believed they were townie.

Except that it was almost impossible to engage in discussion. I could do nothing to point people towards what I'm saying. And the Godfather didn't have any power. In case you didn't notice, THE TOWN HAD NO COP!
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 7:36:43 AM
At 7/18/2010 7:24:17 AM, mongoose wrote:
At 7/18/2010 7:17:00 AM, theLwerd wrote:
The only edge in mongoose and Dark's role was that I believed they were townie.

Except that it was almost impossible to engage in discussion. I could do nothing to point people towards what I'm saying. And the Godfather didn't have any power. In case you didn't notice, THE TOWN HAD NO COP!

But by appearing to be town, SportsGuru the mole could think that Vi is a safe lynch.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 9:18:56 AM
Well, all three third-parties were more anti-town than not, so it was more of a 6/7 ratio, but not quite.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2010 7:52:01 PM
At 7/18/2010 6:48:30 AM, theLwerd wrote:
As I said, there is no way for a serial killer to win this game (ever) UNLESS they come up innocent upon investigation.

1) There was no townie cop.
2) The mole would have had you killed if you were innocent, too. You would have been spared if you were guilty.