Jump to topic:

Random Issues You are Passionate About

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:18:43 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What are some random issues that you are passionate about? By random issues, I mean issues that are not the primary issues talked about in the media (e.g. gay marriage, Hillary's candidacy, abolishing the IRS, boots on the ground to fight ISIS, etc.).

Here are some of mine:

- Animal Rights (Pro)
- Rights for Artificial Intelligence (Pro)
- Chinese Influence in Africa (Con)
- Civics in U.S. Education (Pro)
- Human Trafficking (obviously Con)
- Mandatory post-secondary Education (Pro)
- More restrictive rules on radio editing (Pro)

...There are probably more, but that list suffices for now. So, what are some of your random buzz issues?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 4:32:36 PM
1. Transhumanist issues which include a lot of sub topics. The only time I see the stuff debated though is when BSH1 does a StarTrek topic.

2. I like cults and how they operate. I'm not sure why I have that odd fascination, but I am constantly researching cults. I want to start one just to learn more about how they operate.

3. Conspiracy theories especially true ones, but any will do.
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:13:08 PM
At 3/18/2015 4:18:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I'm passionately Con on this.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:15:25 PM
At 3/18/2015 5:13:08 PM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:

Agreed.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:19:55 PM
At 3/18/2015 5:15:25 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Agreed.

If anything we have too many people going to college.

If by mandatory post secondary education he means we should try to make everyone learn a trade or something that's more defensible. But to make everyone go to college? I think it's a really really bad idea.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:25:37 PM
At 3/18/2015 5:19:55 PM, thett3 wrote:

Agreed.

If by mandatory post secondary education he means we should try to make everyone learn a trade or something that's more defensible. But to make everyone go to college? I think it's a really really bad idea.

We have far too many people going to college. And on top of it college isn't even affordable. Nothing is worth tens of thousands of dollars of debt for someone who is 22 years old. That's stupidity. If I had to take out loans to go to college, I wouldn't have gone. I would have gone to a trade school and become a mechanic or plumber and forgone the crippling debt with no guarantee of a job.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:27:49 PM
What are some random issues that you are passionate about? By random issues, I mean issues that are not the primary issues talked about in the media (e.g. gay marriage, Hillary's candidacy, abolishing the IRS, boots on the ground to fight ISIS, etc.).

Here are some of mine:

- Animal Rights (Pro)

...There are probably more, but that list suffices for now. So, what are some of your random buzz issues?

What do you mean about restrictive rules on radio editing?
Why don't you want the Chinese in Africa?
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 5:35:43 PM

Here are some of mine:

- Animal Rights (Pro)
Agreed
Agreed
I thought it was Africans moving into China, not the other way around o.O
neutral
Agreed.... unless willing prostitution counts, then I disagree
Neutral
For example?
I may or may not be a cat
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:17:22 PM

Agreed.

By post-secondary education I mean anything from undergrad education, to vocational/technical schools, to licensed apprenticeships, and so forth.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:17:35 PM

Agreed.

Why?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:17:41 PM

Why?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:28:28 PM
At 3/18/2015 6:17:22 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Agreed.

By post-secondary education I mean anything from undergrad education, to vocational/technical schools, to licensed apprenticeships, and so forth.

I see no reason to make it mandatory. Unskilled labor is a necessary thing...you can't make everyone middle class. Let the people who want to pursue these things pursue them and those who don't shouldn't have to. I can see subsidizing it, maybe
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:34:16 PM

Here are some of mine:

- Animal Rights (Pro)

Annexation of Canada.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 6:56:46 PM
At 3/18/2015 6:17:41 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Why?

(1) It would be extremely expensive to fund, and we can't afford to take on more debt or tax hikes right now. (2) It wouldn't have a very big return on investment because the "value-added" by college is highly exaggerated-- simply going to some random college for a few years doesn't actually give you a very big edge in the job market. (3) People who have no interest in pursuing secondary education should be free not to pursue it, especially given its lack of value. (4) It would be far more efficient to just reform the current public school system to make it more vocation-oriented.
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:02:56 PM
Also, what thett said factors into point 3. The economy *needs* unskilled labor, so forcing people who don't care about pursuing more specialized fields to waste some of the most productive years of their lives getting educated is nonsensical.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:12:22 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:02:56 PM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:
Also, what thett said factors into point 3. The economy *needs* unskilled labor, so forcing people who don't care about pursuing more specialized fields to waste some of the most productive years of their lives getting educated is nonsensical.

Psh that's what the rest of the uneducated Third World is for: our unskilled labor. Duh.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:31:58 PM
My Big Issues:

Universal, single payer health care (PRO)
Higher education that is completely funded by taxpayers, and top-down educational reform more generally (PRO)
Gay rights (PRO - obviously)

Beyond that, I'm pretty apathetic. I don't care about abortion. I don't care about most of the "big issues" that people usually do.

With regard to foreign policy, I think I'm probably somewhere between Obama and Clinton. I used to be more of a neocon, but that is really fading away. It seems that the older I get, the more liberal I get and the more cynical I become.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:38:27 PM
I think it also bears disclosing that I really am unconcerned about the economy. It goes up. It goes down. In the United States, it all goes around. Other people can worry about it.

I took a lot of economics classes as an undergrad, and I read a lot of books regarding economics when I was a Republican, but my interest, at the end of the day, is not numbers. It's people, and their lives, and the quality of life that they live.

The beginning and end of my concern for corporations is the extent to which employment within them can provide a reasonably good standard of living for people. I do not care about corporations being able to make hundreds of billions of dollars in profit.

I do not care about financiers being able to manipulate money and rake in hundred million dollar bonuses. It's just not interesting to me, other than regulating them to the extent that the social outcomes that I want come to pass. I understand that there will always be inequality, and that's probably a good thing, but at the same time there is a minimum standard of living that I would be delighted to give to the "have nots" by taking from the "haves."

I know that outside of certain parts of California, New York, Illinois and Minnesota this makes me "unelectable," but I don't care. My sympathy is always with the little guy.
Tsar of DDO
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:42:09 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:31:58 PM, YYW wrote:
My Big Issues:

Higher education that is completely funded by taxpayers, and top-down educational reform more generally (PRO)

Are those things you're willing to debate?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:44:07 PM
I guess in that light, I am very strongly in favor of organized labor (even though I think teachers unions have destroyed American education and continue to wreak political havoc on communities). Granted, I do not think that teachers unions are inherently bad, but they have uniquely caused an astronomically high level of damage, and continue to do so, and if I could unilaterally disband them I would.
Tsar of DDO
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:44:17 PM
*Voting for US territories and DC. I think all territories should at least have a voting member in the House and more territorial autonomy.
*Either abolishing the draft or requiring women to sign up for it. I think it is fundamentally unjust that women, despite being allowed to do the same things as men, are granted their natural rights when they turn 18, while men only receive theirs after signing up for selective service (ie. government, not God/nature, grants men rights).
*Smoking ban. Very much opposed to it.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:45:49 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:38:27 PM, YYW wrote:
I think it also bears disclosing that I really am unconcerned about the economy. It goes up. It goes down. In the United States, it all goes around. Other people can worry about it.

I took a lot of economics classes as an undergrad, and I read a lot of books regarding economics when I was a Republican, but my interest, at the end of the day, is not numbers. It's people, and their lives, and the quality of life that they live.

You were a Republican?

The beginning and end of my concern for corporations is the extent to which employment within them can provide a reasonably good standard of living for people. I do not care about corporations being able to make hundreds of billions of dollars in profit.

I do not care about financiers being able to manipulate money and rake in hundred million dollar bonuses. It's just not interesting to me, other than regulating them to the extent that the social outcomes that I want come to pass. I understand that there will always be inequality, and that's probably a good thing, but at the same time there is a minimum standard of living that I would be delighted to give to the "have nots" by taking from the "haves."

I know that outside of certain parts of California, New York, Illinois and Minnesota this makes me "unelectable," but I don't care. My sympathy is always with the little guy.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:47:35 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:44:07 PM, YYW wrote:
I guess in that light, I am very strongly in favor of organized labor (even though I think teachers unions have destroyed American education and continue to wreak political havoc on communities). Granted, I do not think that teachers unions are inherently bad, but they have uniquely caused an astronomically high level of damage, and continue to do so, and if I could unilaterally disband them I would.

Do you think people should be obligated to join unions, especially when they contribute money to one group and one group only?

Also, do you see an issue with the fact public sector unions and politicians can effectively form a corrupt circle (unions fund politicians, who grant the unions lots of taxpayer-funed pensions, which the unions use to fund politicians, and so on)?
WillYouMarryMe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:50:05 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:44:17 PM, TN05 wrote:
*Voting for US territories and DC. I think all territories should at least have a voting member in the House and more territorial autonomy.
*Either abolishing the draft or requiring women to sign up for it. I think it is fundamentally unjust that women, despite being allowed to do the same things as men, are granted their natural rights when they turn 18, while men only receive theirs after signing up for selective service (ie. government, not God/nature, grants men rights).

I think gender should be irrelevant; it should just be based on physical capability.

Even if it's just for public spaces?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:51:02 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:42:09 PM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:31:58 PM, YYW wrote:
My Big Issues:

Are those things you're willing to debate?

Are they issues that I'm willing to debate? Sure, but as a matter of practicality, health care and education are incredibly complex and they aren't really topics that lend themselves to specific debates on this site.

I mean, we can talk about them as normative issues (like, debate the issue of 'whether the US should adopt a single payer system') but debating the "how" of that policy, which is what I'm most principally interested in, isn't really well suited for this medium.

I'm interested in debating gay rights as well, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone I'd be willing to debate it with on DDO. Most, if not all, of DDO's best and brightest support gay rights. I'm not going to waste my time with an irrational homophobic zealot who opposes gay rights for religious reasons, or whatever, because those are all incredibly stupid perspectives and they're not worth my time.

There was a point when I'd be willing to hash out these things (when I had more free time) but now that my time is as constrained as it is, it would take both:

1. An exceptionally well phrased resolution, and
2. A challenged I deemed worth of my time.

I know that probably sounds really arrogant.... but I'm just telling you how it is.
Tsar of DDO
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:52:03 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:50:05 PM, WillYouMarryMe wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:44:17 PM, TN05 wrote:

I think gender should be irrelevant; it should just be based on physical capability.

Even if it's just for public spaces?

On government land, I don't see a huge problem. I don't agree with in being banned in private property, unless the property owner wants it banned.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:56:13 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:47:35 PM, TN05 wrote:

Do you think people should be obligated to join unions, especially when they contribute money to one group and one group only?

That really depends on the industry, although not joining a union is incredibly stupid. I don't think government workers should be obliged to join unions, but I have no issue requiring private workers in some private industries (like, low-skilled and skilled manual labor positions) to unionize because it resolves a collective action problem.

Also, do you see an issue with the fact public sector unions and politicians can effectively form a corrupt circle (unions fund politicians, who grant the unions lots of taxpayer-funed pensions, which the unions use to fund politicians, and so on)?

I think that Republicans in non-union states have an unreasonable view of how unions work, and I think that if North Carolina, for example, had unions, there might actually be a functioning middle class outside of Raleigh and Charlotte... but I digress.

But really, I would much rather politicians be able to receive money from unions than from corporations for the reason that unions represent the interests of the working class, whereas corporations advocate only for themselves.

And again, I have zero sympathy for corporations beyond the extent to which they can provide a reasonably decent standard of living for their employees and contribute to the community in which they exist.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:58:54 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:45:49 PM, TN05 wrote:
You were a Republican?

Yes, although not the kind of Republican that you're used too. Back when Bush was in office, there were sort of three kinds of Republicans: (1) Movement Conservatives (read: the base), (2) the establishment (read: the Bush's and the Romneys), and (3) Northern and Californian Republicans (read: socially apathetic or liberal and economically concerned people). I was of the third category, but that changed in 2012.
Tsar of DDO
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2015 7:59:42 PM
At 3/18/2015 7:56:13 PM, YYW wrote:
At 3/18/2015 7:47:35 PM, TN05 wrote:

That really depends on the industry, although not joining a union is incredibly stupid. I don't think government workers should be obliged to join unions, but I have no issue requiring private workers in some private industries (like, low-skilled and skilled manual labor positions) to unionize because it resolves a collective action problem.

It's not stupid if you don't want your money going to an organization you don't support.

I think that Republicans in non-union states have an unreasonable view of how unions work, and I think that if North Carolina, for example, had unions, there might actually be a functioning middle class outside of Raleigh and Charlotte... but I digress.

If unions offered North Carolina voters anything we wanted, they'd be around here. Most of us don't want our money taken from us and given to a party we don't support.

But really, I would much rather politicians be able to receive money from unions than from corporations for the reason that unions represent the interests of the working class, whereas corporations advocate only for themselves.

Unions don't support the working class - they support the workers in their industry, especially the older ones. Younger workers are first on the chopping block.

And again, I have zero sympathy for corporations beyond the extent to which they can provide a reasonably decent standard of living for their employees and contribute to the community in which they exist.

I don't really care much for corporations or rich people either. Doesn't mean you have to take their money.