Definition of...

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 12:44:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
"Marriage:
a: the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law
b : the mutual relation of married persons along with the legal & fiscal benefits associated with it: wedlock
c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities"

I am expected to go with this definition instead of

"1 a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
2 : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
3 : an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>"

on a debate I'm trying to go into. Both come from this source:

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

And I'm not sure what to do because my opponet refuses to get a diff source for the deffinition or keep the original deffinition as posted in the source.

Anybody know what to do?
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 1:05:12 PM
I've always thought it was sorta unethical to get outside to ask for outside help in a debate...

In any case, what you do is, you point out the absurdity. Does your opponent refuse to use non-Merriam Webster definitions in his other debates? Probably not. It has nothing to do with the superiority of Merriam Webster and all to do with your opponent's stubborn refusal to use a definition that would hurt his case.

So, point out the absurdity. Then provide some better definitions, and argue for why they are superior to your opponent's.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 1:05:41 PM
At 7/23/2010 1:05:12 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
I've always thought it was sorta unethical to ask for outside help in a debate...

fix
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2010 1:13:31 PM
Lol not asking for help in the debate since my opponent has something up his...that keeps him from using a different definition.

In any case I have I doubt this guy ever gets over himself though.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave