Jump to topic:

Cheryl's Birthday Logic Problem

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:36:54 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
My friend texted me this problem a few days ago before I knew it was a thing. Took me a few minutes but I got it.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 1:07:00 AM
I don't get it. There isn't enough information here to definitively conclude anything, in my opinion.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 1:21:43 AM
Basically a list of ten birthdays is given and neither person knows when the birthday is. In sentence one Albert states that neither him or his friend knew the birthday, but that fact has already been established, each only knows a part of the birthday.

Then after that sentence both have an epiphany and know when the birthday is. This is BS.
mrsatan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 2:00:31 AM
At 4/16/2015 1:21:43 AM, Wylted wrote:
Basically a list of ten birthdays is given and neither person knows when the birthday is. In sentence one Albert states that neither him or his friend knew the birthday, but that fact has already been established, each only knows a part of the birthday.

Then after that sentence both have an epiphany and know when the birthday is. This is BS.

No, it's tricky, but there is enough information. Albert's first statement rules out five options. Bernard's statement rules out two more, and Albert's last statement rules out the last two incorrect dates. The last two are the trickiest ones, but it is doable.
To say one has free will, to have chosen other than they did, is to say they have will over their will... Will over the will they have over their will... Will over the will they have over the will they have over their will, etc... It's utter nonsense.
Zarroette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 8:25:39 AM
The problem is fine, until you reach interpreting the dialogue between Albert and Bernard.

Firstly, there is no contextual dialogue to give indication of when this conversation took place. Did it immediately take place after Cheryl told them the information?

Secondly, how on Earth are we meant to limit the possible interpretations of "at first" in Bernard's dialogue? What does "at first" mean precisely? Does it mean before I was told the information? Does it mean after I exchanged information with Albert? The solution implies that this was after information exchange, but it specifically says that Cheryl told them separately.

It's a poorly worded question. I would just answer with: 'on the day she was born' and relish in the thought of an incoming tick.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 11:56:22 AM
At 4/16/2015 8:25:39 AM, Zarroette wrote:
The problem is fine, until you reach interpreting the dialogue between Albert and Bernard.

Firstly, there is no contextual dialogue to give indication of when this conversation took place. Did it immediately take place after Cheryl told them the information?

Secondly, how on Earth are we meant to limit the possible interpretations of "at first" in Bernard's dialogue? What does "at first" mean precisely? Does it mean before I was told the information? Does it mean after I exchanged information with Albert? The solution implies that this was after information exchange, but it specifically says that Cheryl told them separately.
All of these stages took place in quick succession and no other conversation occurred between, before, or after them. The start of the problem is when Cheryl gives out the original information - there are no references to anything before this. The problem is self-contained - the only things that happened are what are explicitly stated.

Stage one: The only information known by either character is the information Cheryl told them individually.

Stage two: Albert says his sentence and nothing else.

Stage three: Bernard says his sentence and nothing else.

Stage four: Albert says his sentence and nothing else
It's a poorly worded question. I would just answer with: 'on the day she was born' and relish in the thought of an incoming tick.
Incoming tick?
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:26:01 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:15:50 AM, dylancatlow wrote:
Problem: http://i2.cdn.turner.com...

Video Solution: http://www.cnn.com...

This one is fun, but not that hard.

Albert has the month, so his unknown is day. The possible unknowns are
15, 16, 19
OR
17, 18
OR
14, 15, 17

Bernard says, if Albert is so dam sure I don't know then, and I have a number. Bernard his to reason with.
- 19 only shows ONCE. Albert cant be sure I don't know if the date is in May. Eliminate ALL OF MAY
- 18 has the same issues as 19. I can eliminate June.
- Now, we have ONE month with three dates. I Bernard, have that number, I have month and date.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:30:29 PM

Actually, it is quite simple; you just have to think.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:32:38 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:30:29 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Like the bu11shit facebook memes "Your a genius" things, the trick is in thinking its hard in any way.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 12:34:48 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:32:38 PM, TBR wrote:
At 4/16/2015 12:30:29 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Like the bu11shit facebook memes "Your a genius" things, the trick is in thinking its hard in any way.

Yep. It is meant to intimidate and scare people into believing it is hard. Just because you can solve it does not mean you are a genius.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 1:15:32 PM
At 4/16/2015 12:46:46 PM, RevNge wrote:
Is it July 16th? I just made a table like I used to in elementary school...

Yes.
Suh dude

RevNge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2015 2:30:53 PM
At 4/16/2015 1:15:32 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Yes.

Woot :D

Do I get cake for being right?
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2015 7:02:36 AM
At 4/16/2015 2:30:53 PM, RevNge wrote:
At 4/16/2015 1:15:32 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:

Yes.

Woot :D

Do I get cake for being right?

Nah.
Suh dude