Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Altruism and yelling at Filipinos

Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 11:20:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I need to get something off my chest.

I took one day off to spend time with my girlfriend recently and we were having smoothies. This effeminate, wimpy looking Filipino man walked in and handed me a laminated card for some "Save the Children" thing and started reciting a spiel about it. Whether or not he was homosexual, I have no right to say, but he fit the stereotype vocally and physically.

I smiled at him (not too much, because I was afraid he might think I was hitting on him) and said "no thank you". I was surprised by the fact that he refused to take the card back and he continued jabbering. I thought he didn't hear me, so I repeated the gesture. He physically PUSHED the card back into my hands.

Now I was annoyed.

Still, with a smile on my face, I INSISTED that he take the card back with another "No, but thanks" while placing the card on his clip board.

As I turned back to my drink with my back to him, I heard a very distinct "Selfish", uttered in that effeminate way that only gay men could muster.

Now, I am a very wimpy and cowardly person. Most people my age, men or women, could very easily beat me up, so I tend to be very friendly and smile a lot, never sticking up for myself.

However, this was a VERY, VERY rare instance in which my offender would actually lose in a fight to me. So as he was walking away, I shouted "Hey, A-hole, come back here".

He walked into the store. Several minutes later, he walked out, and I gave him a stare-down. As he was at the door, he lisped "yes?". At which point, I called him out for saying I was selfish, asking him who the *expletive* he thought he was, asking "how much have you donated, a-hole?", and ending it by telling him that he should get a *expletive* job instead of begging for money.

I don't think he liked that very much.

HOWEVER, what I really wanted to say that I wasn't selfish, I just thought that he was a hypocrite because he was obviously unemployed and found great self-satisfaction in asking other people to give him money so he can turn around and say that he is altruistic. Would it not make more sense to work a legitimate job and take your salary and donate it to your cause, instead of wasting your afternoon begging for money?

I think that these self-righteous people should take a hard look at themselves. I don't think he had any right to call me selfish at all. Homeless people have more class than that.

I'm just mad that I have these legitimate arguments in my head, but when confronted with that opportunity, the only thing I can come up with are single sentence expletives.

How would you guys have handled this situation?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 11:29:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm not Filipino, but why the pluralization in the title?

In any case, unless you're having a philosophical discussion, it's generally a bad idea to call your potential contributors "selfish"... bad move on his part... in the past, when soliciting donations at school (volunteering), I sometimes satirically mock myself when talking to certain people--"do you support children dying of starvation, are you sure, please donate then"--but that's a rare exception.

If I were you, I would have simply ignored it... you get nothing out of arguing with the idiot.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 11:30:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
But...but my man-pride was hurt...
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2010 11:31:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Personally I would smile listen take the crad when he leaves throw it away. Thats how I deal with everything really. Idk why I just tend to ALWAYS act polite no matter how creepy someone is being.

Exceptions: People I know very well, like family

People online

People telling me that discrimination and causing harm to others is justified

People that call me stupid, slut, or any other offensive word. (I even almost got in a fight with one girl for spreading a rumor calling me bi she had no basis >.<)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 4:28:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I would have let it be and not said anything. I don't see the point in cussing him out. I'm not going to change his life unless I gave some grand speech, which would be my other option if I was feeling up to it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 4:30:10 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

This is obviously true but I was wondering if you had data behind it?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 5:51:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/30/2010 11:29:32 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
If I were you, I would have simply ignored it... you get nothing out of arguing with the idiot.

I disagree. I think that was a perfect opportunity for Kleptin to do exactly what he did, and I bet two things came out of it -- (a) his own personal satisfaction, and (b) a little lesson for the femmey tool. My dad raised me to be a very confrontational person -- to call people out on their BS and never be afraid to do so if I am legitimately wronged. Kleptin was legitimately wronged in the sense that he was verbally insulted (and possibly embarrassed if not annoyed) completely unnecessarily and without provocation.

I would have probably said - "Excuse me? First of all you should be embarassed by how desperate you are and the fact that you need to resort to insults in order to try bullying people into donating to you because you suck so bad at your job. Second of all you should probably give me the name of your supervisor or who you're representing so I can tell them how immature, rude and unprofessional you're being while giving them a bad name in the process." In fact these types of comments are ones I find myself making on a daily basis lol ask Vi... I have no qualms about standing up to someone who's a total a-hole for no reason.

I think this is successful at reminding people of their place and that they have no right or reason to act so foul. You'd be surprised at how fast people shape up when they are stood up to. What is there to be afraid of? I'm a girl so I'm not too scared of a physical altercation. Plus I've been in a fair share (back in the day) and it's really nothing to worry about. Most people are so taken aback by their reprimanding that they just wind up looking and feeling like a complete retard. Confrontation works.
President of DDO
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:02:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 5:51:29 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/30/2010 11:29:32 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
If I were you, I would have simply ignored it... you get nothing out of arguing with the idiot.

I disagree. I think that was a perfect opportunity for Kleptin to do exactly what he did, and I bet two things came out of it -- (a) his own personal satisfaction, and (b) a little lesson for the femmey tool. My dad raised me to be a very confrontational person -- to call people out on their BS and never be afraid to do so if I am legitimately wronged. Kleptin was legitimately wronged in the sense that he was verbally insulted (and possibly embarrassed if not annoyed) completely unnecessarily and without provocation.

I would have probably said - "Excuse me? First of all you should be embarassed by how desperate you are and the fact that you need to resort to insults in order to try bullying people into donating to you because you suck so bad at your job. Second of all you should probably give me the name of your supervisor or who you're representing so I can tell them how immature, rude and unprofessional you're being while giving them a bad name in the process." In fact these types of comments are ones I find myself making on a daily basis lol ask Vi... I have no qualms about standing up to someone who's a total a-hole for no reason.

I think this is successful at reminding people of their place and that they have no right or reason to act so foul. You'd be surprised at how fast people shape up when they are stood up to. What is there to be afraid of? I'm a girl so I'm not too scared of a physical altercation. Plus I've been in a fair share (back in the day) and it's really nothing to worry about. Most people are so taken aback by their reprimanding that they just wind up looking and feeling like a complete retard. Confrontation works.

What you said was great, but what Kleptin did could really leave a negative impression on the girlfriend depending on her mood, how long they've been together, how she perceives behavior, etc.

Nonetheless, I'm a non-confrontational person. I keep it to myself, and I feel it's starting to affect how I behave in general. Confrontation is starting to come out now, but it's pretty much turning into drama (mainly due to the people who receive it), so I'm going to wait until college.

;)
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:25:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

I see the others, but why horny?
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:29:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 6:25:20 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

I see the others, but why horny?

It's much easier to get seduced by some random slut when you're horny, no?
feverish
Posts: 2,716
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:36:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 6:29:33 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:25:20 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

I see the others, but why horny?

It's much easier to get seduced by some random slut when you're horny, no?

I guess so, but what's incompetent about that? As long as you use protection of course.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:38:20 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 6:36:55 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:29:33 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:25:20 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

I see the others, but why horny?

It's much easier to get seduced by some random slut when you're horny, no?

I guess so, but what's incompetent about that? As long as you use protection of course.

The chemicals in your mind that insight higher sexual urge actually does cloud judgement.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:39:15 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 6:36:55 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:29:33 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:25:20 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

I see the others, but why horny?

It's much easier to get seduced by some random slut when you're horny, no?

I guess so, but what's incompetent about that? As long as you use protection of course.

I think not using protection would be the incompetent part, yeah. That, and maybe you hooked up with the random slut while in a relationship.
studentathletechristian8
Posts: 5,810
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:47:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 6:39:15 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:36:55 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:29:33 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:25:20 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

I see the others, but why horny?

It's much easier to get seduced by some random slut when you're horny, no?

I guess so, but what's incompetent about that? As long as you use protection of course.

I think not using protection would be the incompetent part, yeah. That, and maybe you hooked up with the random slut while in a relationship.

What if the significant other does not find out about the sex?
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 6:51:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 6:47:40 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
What if the significant other does not find out about the sex?

It would still be incompetent regardless.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 9:12:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure the incompetence is in regard to distraction, no? If your job is to be a security guard but your mind and focus is on sex/arousal then you're much more likely to be distracted and fail at your task. That's why women use their sexual prowess to get what they want, etc.
President of DDO
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 9:14:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 9:12:41 PM, theLwerd wrote:
That's why women use their sexual prowess to get what they want, etc.

Truth.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 9:15:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 6:38:20 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:36:55 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:29:33 PM, Nags wrote:
At 7/31/2010 6:25:20 PM, feverish wrote:
At 7/31/2010 4:08:29 PM, wjmelements wrote:
When we're angry, our competence drops.

Our competence also drops when we feel...
-shocked
-betrayed
-horny
-abandoned
-hopeless
-etc.

I see the others, but why horny?

It's much easier to get seduced by some random slut when you're horny, no?

I guess so, but what's incompetent about that? As long as you use protection of course.

The chemicals in your mind that insight higher sexual urge actually does cloud judgement.

The blood runs from your brain to your dick, if you know what I mean...

As I understand it, the rational aspects of our brain slow down and we become more animalistic.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 9:23:42 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 5:51:29 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 7/30/2010 11:29:32 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
If I were you, I would have simply ignored it... you get nothing out of arguing with the idiot.

I disagree. I think that was a perfect opportunity for Kleptin to do exactly what he did, and I bet two things came out of it -- (a) his own personal satisfaction, and (b) a little lesson for the femmey tool. My dad raised me to be a very confrontational person -- to call people out on their BS and never be afraid to do so if I am legitimately wronged. Kleptin was legitimately wronged in the sense that he was verbally insulted (and possibly embarrassed if not annoyed) completely unnecessarily and without provocation.

I would have probably said - "Excuse me? First of all you should be embarassed by how desperate you are and the fact that you need to resort to insults in order to try bullying people into donating to you because you suck so bad at your job. Second of all you should probably give me the name of your supervisor or who you're representing so I can tell them how immature, rude and unprofessional you're being while giving them a bad name in the process." In fact these types of comments are ones I find myself making on a daily basis lol ask Vi... I have no qualms about standing up to someone who's a total a-hole for no reason.

I think this is successful at reminding people of their place and that they have no right or reason to act so foul. You'd be surprised at how fast people shape up when they are stood up to. What is there to be afraid of? I'm a girl so I'm not too scared of a physical altercation. Plus I've been in a fair share (back in the day) and it's really nothing to worry about. Most people are so taken aback by their reprimanding that they just wind up looking and feeling like a complete retard. Confrontation works.

If he had just taken the card and thrown it away later, the guy wouldn't have called him "selfish". Confrontation makes you look stupid.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 9:55:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 9:23:42 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
If he had just taken the card and thrown it away later, the guy wouldn't have called him "selfish". Confrontation makes you look stupid.

It was one of those laminated cards that he expects people to read and give back.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2010 10:06:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 7/31/2010 9:55:49 PM, Kleptin wrote:
At 7/31/2010 9:23:42 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
If he had just taken the card and thrown it away later, the guy wouldn't have called him "selfish". Confrontation makes you look stupid.

It was one of those laminated cards that he expects people to read and give back.

Oh, I see. I understand that you were annoyed but I still wonder what has been accomplished... To each his own, I guess.