Jump to topic:

what do you say...

Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 2:57:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
My nihilist friend still says "God bless you" to people because it is common courtesy.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 2:58:41 AM
At 8/1/2010 2:57:37 AM, Anarcho wrote:
My nihilist friend still says "God bless you" to people because it is common courtesy.

I say "Gesundheit". ;)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:04:22 AM
I just refrain from saying "God" and simply say "bless you." Blessings can come from people, they don't have to always come from God.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:08:07 AM
At 8/1/2010 3:04:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I just refrain from saying "God" and simply say "bless you." Blessings can come from people, they don't have to always come from God.

This.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:09:33 AM
At 8/1/2010 2:58:41 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I say "Gesundheit". ;)

I always thought this was just German for God Bless You, but it actually means 'Healthiness'
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:13:58 AM
At 8/1/2010 3:09:33 AM, tvellalott wrote:

I say "Gesundheit". ;)

I always thought this was just German for God Bless You, but it actually means 'Healthiness'

Yep. I still say it anyways since I like German.
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:16:09 AM

though it was a fun question, but this got me thinking. Would my blessing actually mean anything? A human blessing the other seems ... implausible?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:26:32 AM
At this point i don't think we're actually bestowing a blessing of any kind but rather a social courtesy. I say "bless you", and i have never heard anyone object, and if they do object, it is they who are acting outside of the protocols of our society, and i really wouldn't care too much.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:29:55 AM
At 8/1/2010 3:16:09 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:

though it was a fun question, but this got me thinking. Would my blessing actually mean anything? A human blessing the other seems ... implausible?

I would say that a human blessing is much more valuable then a God-blessing, simply because the person is giving their own personal care to that person; as opposed to appealing to God to give them care.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:30:24 AM
I say, "F*ck you! Who the f*ck appointed you the king of disease-spreading? Huh, motherf*cker? I should rip you a new @sshole!!! I hope you die a f*cking horrible death!"

no, rly, i just say 'god bless you' like everyone else
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 3:36:38 AM
At 8/1/2010 3:30:24 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
I say, "F*ck you! Who the f*ck appointed you the king of disease-spreading? Huh, motherf*cker? I should rip you a new @sshole!!! I hope you die a f*cking horrible death!"

no, rly, i just say 'god bless you' like everyone else

Some day all your repressions will let loose, and it will be a great thing to watch ;-)
awesomeAlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 5:04:30 AM

I say "Gesundheit". ;)

As an interjection "gesundheit" does mean "Bless you" or "God bless you".
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 6:06:17 AM
When someone sneezes I'm more concerned with getting away from their germs than giving them a non-existent blessing.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2010 11:40:52 AM
CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #275

ASK CHUCK!

Dear Chuck,
At a recent dinner party, I found myself in an awkward situation when the host, a devout atheist, sneezed between spoonfuls of his gazpacho. Without thinking, I said, "God bless you." He gave me a withering look and said, as if to a child, "Golly gee, I sure hope he does." The other guests exploded with laughter, while I imploded with humiliation. To avoid future embarrassment, what is the correct response when an atheist sneezes?
Troubled with ahchoo

Dear Troubled,
First, a little background information. Saying "God bless you" following a sneeze is thought by some to have originated in the sixth century in order to protect the sneezer from falling ill to the bubonic plague. Another possible origin is that people once believed that the devil entered the body during a sneeze and saying "God bless you" could help ward him off. Since the plague has killed something like two hundred million people and the words "God bless you" have, in all likelihood, been said countless times to Glenn Beck, we can safely assume the phrase has no real power against germs or demonic possession. What it does contain is simple human courtesy -- a means by which we express concern for one another. As to how to respond to a sneezing atheist, well, that's easy. Simply say, "Sounds like you're coming down with something, I hope you don't die and rot in a box."
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.