Jump to topic:

If you were in Charge of restarting America

Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 5:49:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you had the opportunity to put in place a new American government, what changes would you make first in the way America's government is set up. Would you , for instance set the same terms for the Supreme Court Justices, positions for life as they now enjoy, or do you believe that the Supreme Court justices should be replaced every so often. Would you, if you had the authority of setting up a new America, restrict the countries from which America would accept immigrants.
Would America continue to be a member of the United Nations since the United Nations hasn't stopped wars, communist take overs of other nations and has cost America a lots of money with little to show for it except given little respect from the other United Nations members in return.
Would you set term limits on politicians elected to office and make other changes you believe are needed to make America better.
America is in trouble and seems to be headed off a cliff Could you turn America around and bring it back to the great country that it once was, what changes would you make .
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 8:01:20 PM
I would not do anything. The country is to divided to accomplish anything. Half the country thinks it's entitled to everything and the other half thinks the other half isn't entitled to squat. There can be no solution only revolution. I would just let the country implode like it's going to. The entitled will be eradicated because they are weak, indoctrinated and can't think for themselves. They will be easily defeated.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2015 10:16:34 PM
If I were to restart America, I'd go back and make sure that we enslaved the Irish instead of black people. If we enslaved the Irish exclusively, than perhaps we could avoid all the bad things taking place in America now.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 12:48:10 PM
At 5/10/2015 5:49:47 PM, Lookingatissues wrote:
If you had the opportunity to put in place a new American government, what changes would you make first in the way America's government is set up. Would you , for instance set the same terms for the Supreme Court Justices, positions for life as they now enjoy, or do you believe that the Supreme Court justices should be replaced every so often. Would you, if you had the authority of setting up a new America, restrict the countries from which America would accept immigrants.
Would America continue to be a member of the United Nations since the United Nations hasn't stopped wars, communist take overs of other nations and has cost America a lots of money with little to show for it except given little respect from the other United Nations members in return.
Would you set term limits on politicians elected to office and make other changes you believe are needed to make America better.
America is in trouble and seems to be headed off a cliff Could you turn America around and bring it back to the great country that it once was, what changes would you make .

UN has no power to stop a war
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 7:44:55 PM
At 5/10/2015 10:16:34 PM, Wylted wrote:
If I were to restart America, I'd go back and make sure that we enslaved the Irish instead of black people. If we enslaved the Irish exclusively, than perhaps we could avoid all the bad things taking place in America now.

You couldn't enslave the Irish even if you tried. "Irish eyes smile"
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2015 10:13:52 PM
Establish a hereditary aristocracy and incorporate class into the bicameral legislature. Two executives instead of one, maybe a ceremonial one and a more functional one. Explicit bans on ballot initiatives. Strong decentralization, enshrined in the very marrow of the law, when it comes to law enforcement and surveillance. A peripheral military policy, a la Rome (military banned from the capital and surrounding areas). A stripping down of military permanence. Collegiality. Maybe a temporary dictatorial office for times of war or rebellion.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2015 5:19:17 PM

Make it the 11th province of Canada... No, wait... never mind we don't want your issues in our country.
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2015 9:21:50 PM
At 5/10/2015 10:16:34 PM, Wylted wrote:

__Lookingattheissues reply on DEBATE.org to Wylted ... on May 12Th. 2015 under Forum under Misc,
Thank you for your response I'm sorry that its taken so long to return a reply, we had a water pipe break in my basement and I have been busy with that.
You replied,"If I were to restart America, I'd go back and make sure that we enslaved the Irish instead of black people. . If we enslaved the Irish exclusively, than perhaps we could avoid all the bad things taking place in America now.
Lookinattheissues Reply.....
I'm making a subjective interpretation of what you posted in your response to my posted subject. While my posted subject wasn't about race relations or slavery but I will give one prospective on slavery and its effects on America's citizens.
I interpreted what you posted about "enslav..ing...ed the Irish ...," I wondered if you perhaps believed that enslaving the irish would be easier to deal with than the problems engendered with enslaved blacks because the Irish would perhaps be more docile than the present "ancestors"( Note... not all blacks in America, have ancestors who were slaves,) of the blacks and wouldn't be causing so many problems as they have. The white people in this country paid a dear price to end slavery, "about 350,000 or more died..." in the effort.about 150 long years ago.Yahoo answers
Abraham Lincoln and many Americans thought that slavery was wrong, Abraham said this about slavery, "As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master...." There are some blacks in America who have used the crutch of slavery that occurred 150 years ago in America's past in order to continue, even up to today, to assume their roles as victims in order to garner special benefits for themselves.
BOOKER T. WASHINGTON said this," There is a class of colored people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs " partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs." and unfortunately, many blacks/ minorities, have taken full advantage of what occurred 150 years ago in America's distant past to play the role of victim.
But some black Americans realized that as bad as slavery was that Black Americans were also fortunate that, even though some of their ancestors were slaves 150 years ago, that those black Americans who live in this country now are very lucky to be living in America and given the opportunities that only America has to offer. One black American said this, "Muhammad Ali was famously asked "Champ, what did you think of Africa?" to which the Champ replied, "Thank God my granddaddy got on that boat."
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2015 9:49:28 PM

Annex Canada. Never forget 1812.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
neptune1bond
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 6:31:39 AM
If I had to restart America and was in charge, then first things first, I would have to repopulate it. So, I would therefor begin by having lots and lots of sex with the group of supermodels and beautiful actresses that happened to gather in the one and only bomb shelter that survived (other than mine, of course). :)

After that, I would create a "no-@ssholes" rule. If you happened to be an @sshole, I would ship you to Canada or France depending on the type of @sshole you happened to be. But if you were a really kick@ss person, then you'd get a delicious piece of pie. The incentive of pie and the fear of Canada or France would make my country the happiest and best place on Earth. After that, missionaries preaching my amazing system of governance would migrate elsewhere and eventually all other governments would be overthrown and replaced with exact replicas of my government. After all the kick@ss people that happened to reside in Canada or France had left when they became absolute sh*thole countries, we would simply bomb Canada and France and nothing but kick@ss genes would be passed on to all the children and everyone would live off of pie, happiness, and rainbows for all eternity. (This , of course, would be when they realized that a steady diet of pie, happiness, and rainbows allows people to live forever and also creates a magical void of infinite planets so that overpopulation and obtaining resources is never a problem, but I'm sure you already knew that. Oh yeah, and it also makes it so your sh*t don't stink, but I'm sure you knew that too.)
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 11:52:33 AM
Lookingattheissues reply
Oh, speak to us , great master of wisdom, that we may learn at your feet!
I would suggest that in applying your first rule ,"..., I would create a "no-@ssholes" rule..." you would wipe out/ eliminate 3/4s of the population of this country and a whole lot of politicians in Washington in the bargain. Of course, you and I would be left to run the world, not being a##-holes our selfs. The grand challenge in determining who are a##-holes and who are not, might be easier than first thought, A##- holes would be those who disagreed with us and showed their pomposity and arrogance by their having the audacity to show their disdain for our ideas. You posted, ..." if you were a really kick@ss person, then you'd get a delicious piece of pie....." I have always had a great respect for the person who could tell another person to go to H#ll " in such a way that they looks forward to the trip, and those kinds of persons who could do this should be rewarded with a bigger piece of the pie because of their skills in handling people.
"Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" in such a way that they looks forward to the trip.
everyone would live off of pie, happiness, and rainbows for all eternity. (This , of course, would be when they realized that a steady diet of pie, happiness, and rainbows allows people to live forever and also creates a magical void of infinite planets so that overpopulation and obtaining resources is never a problem
You wrote in your posted repy overpopulation and obtaining resources is never a problem when they realized that a steady diet of pie, happiness, and rainbows allows people to live forever and also creates a magical void of infinite planets so that overpopulation and obtaining resources is never a problem....."in one fell swoop." you have defined the ideology of liberals, in their views, Camelot is in view and right around the corner, and its obtainable for everyone if every facet of people's lives were turned over to big government.
You finished your reply with a bit of sarcasm, Oh yeah, and it also makes it so your sh*t don't stink, but I'm sure you knew that too.)" Whats in a name, a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet..."
"I'm somewhat of a bullshitter myself, but sometimes, I like to listen to a real professional," You've earned my praise, carry on.
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2015 9:15:40 PM
, sadolite wrote:
I would not do anything. The country is to divided to accomplish anything...."
Lookinattheissues reply to sadolite on DEBATE.org...on the Forum....under Misc..... May 14Th. 2015
You commented," I would not do anything. The country is to divided to accomplish anything...." John Adams once said this about power," Nip the shoots in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people..."
America is , as you wrote, divided as never before by ideology, by language, religion and a flood of foreign immigrants who's desire is to remain loyal to the countries from which they migrated with their only intentions being to rape the country of every benefit offered by this country all the while, refusing to assimilate or to obey the countries laws.
Then America has allowed the intellectual, the elite politcal class over time to excert a unbridled power over the thoughts and lives of the average American and this elite class of people have a hunger for more and more power which has proven to be a unsatiableable hunger.
America's forefathers when they wrote the constitution and the bill of rights were determined that a aristocracy wouldn't rule over the countries people but be a government controlled by the citizens. but slowely by stealth the aristocracy have dominated the people by their being enbeded in America's educational institutions the countries media, and by holding positions of power through political office.
Are the American people responsible themselves for the conditions that the nation finds itself in today, in large part they are because they placed their blind trust in the elite to look out for the interests of the country and its citizens and that trust has proven to be misplaced.
In a book by Robert H. Bork, " Slouching towards GOMORRAH" he wrote,".... Most men and women, given final power, will prove unable to suborinate their personal sympathies and passions ..."
" The American people seem, at the moment, to be submissive and without the political will to reclaim the liberty that is rightfully theirs."
American people once were once a part of a " United nation, A United ,States of America, John Jay wrote in the federalist Papers, " Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country, to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs...." unfortunately, no more. As you wrote," The country is too divided to accomplish anything... Is sadly true...
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 9:33:29 AM
5/11/2015 cybertron1998 wrote:
Lookingatissues wrote:
Would America continue to be a member of the United Nations since the United Nations hasn't stopped wars, communist take overs of other nations and has cost America a lots of money with little to show for it

Lookingattheissues response to cybertron1998
I posted previously the following comment: " ".....Would America continue to be a member of the United Nations since[ the United Nations hasn't stopped wars,] communist take overs of other nations and has cost America a lots of money with little to show for it except given little respect from the other United Nations members in return...."

cybertron1998 reply..."UN has no power to stop a war..."
Lookingattheissues responded:
The United Nations
"14. What kind of measures involving the use of armed force has the Security Council imposed in the past?"

Note: "Article 42 of the United Nations Charter gives the Security Council the authority to take action by air, sea or land forces as may be necessary to maintain or restore international peace and security."..... That is, "To stop wars."

PAST EFFORTS BY THE UNITED NATIONS TO STOP WARS: The Security Council has authorized military force to reverse or repel aggression by one State against another (in the context of the 1950 Korean War and the aggression of Iraq against Kuwait in 1990)."
" Since 1990, the Security Council has increasingly authorized the use of force under Chapter VII of the Charter " in different circumstances and to varying degrees.
It has authorized a number of naval blockades to enforce sanctions (in Iraq, the former Yugoslavia, Haiti and Sierra Leone).
It has authorized a limited use of force by United Nations peacekeeping operations (such as in the former Yugoslavia, Somalia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kosovo and East Timor , and by regional arrangements (such as the ECOWAS Mission in C"te d"Ivoire (ECOMICI), the European Union force in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (EUFOR R.D. Congo) and the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM).
Furthermore, it has authorized the use of "all necessary means" or "all necessary measures" by multinational forces (such as in Somalia, Haiti, Rwanda, Eastern Zaire, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, East Timor, Bunia in the DRC, Liberia and Iraq." While the United nations hasn't been all that effective in stopping wars among nations it has the authority within its charter to attempt to do so.