Jump to topic:

...the legal age of sexual intercourse

Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2015 8:39:50 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
So what are your thoughts on the "legal age" for sexual intercouse in a society? If I'm not mistaken the legal age in some places in Asia and Central/South America are lower than the age for America.

I think that a lesbian relation can be legal at the age of 14 but that all other relations outside of wedlock's participants should be 18 or over...
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:00:17 AM
At 5/16/2015 8:39:50 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
So what are your thoughts on the "legal age" for sexual intercouse in a society? If I'm not mistaken the legal age in some places in Asia and Central/South America are lower than the age for America.

I think that a lesbian relation can be legal at the age of 14 but that all other relations outside of wedlock's participants should be 18 or over...

The more important question to ask is, are you financially and mental prepared to accept the responsibility of raising a child should pregnancy happen and not become a massive burden on society because you are not. It's not about intercourse it's about the consequences of intercourse and your ability to deal with them. Intercourse is for the big people who are responsible and capable of accepting the responsibility.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:06:19 AM

The more important question to ask is, are you financially and mental prepared to accept the responsibility of raising a child should pregnancy happen and not become a massive burden on society because you are not. It's not about intercourse it's about the consequences of intercourse and your ability to deal with them. Intercourse is for the big people who are responsible and capable of accepting the responsibility.

So you're saying that a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with "people who aren't big" OK?
"La, la, la. Whatever. La, la, la. It doesn't matter. La, la, la. Oh well. La, la, la..."
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:30:55 AM
At 5/17/2015 7:06:19 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

So you're saying that a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with "people who aren't big" OK?

Read what I said again.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:35:32 AM
Read what I said again.

I don't understand what you wrote; are you saying that a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with "people who aren't big" OK?
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:38:03 AM
At 5/17/2015 7:35:32 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
Read what I said again.

I don't understand what you wrote; are you saying that a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with "people who aren't big" OK?

If you don't understand what I wrote then you are not prepared or adult enough to accept the consequences of having intercourse.

Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:47:13 AM
If you don't understand what I wrote then you are not prepared or adult enough to accept the consequences of having intercourse.

So was that a yes or no? (Are you saying that a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with "people who aren't big" OK?)
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 9:19:03 AM
At 5/17/2015 7:47:13 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

So was that a yes or no? (Are you saying that a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with "people who aren't big" OK?)

You don't get it and never will, well maybe when you get older or get some girl pregnant using birth control.

Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 11:15:47 AM
You don't get it and never will, well maybe when you get older or get some girl pregnant using birth control.

Lol I thought the question was simple enough...
BblackkBbirdd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 11:37:35 AM
At 5/17/2015 7:00:17 AM, sadolite wrote:

And that's why we have contraception and abortions!

also lesbians and gay dudes can't get each other pregnant so... pregnancy is never going to be a consequence of sex for them
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:03:36 PM

lol, one sexuality getting a different age than the others? That would only be discriminatory if it was heterosexual relations that got benefited, right?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:05:11 PM
At 5/17/2015 11:37:35 AM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:

also lesbians and gay dudes can't get each other pregnant so... pregnancy is never going to be a consequence of sex for them

That might be why they have a raging degree of STDs, because they forget about that part of the reasons for using protection.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:06:50 PM
16 is a fine age.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:11:16 PM
It isn't about age but psychological maturity (meaning, both mental and emotional maturity). The problem is that everyone develops at a different rate. Someone might be ready at 14, someone may not until 22, some people are never mentally ready (though I would suspect that is because of a lack preparation and they just dive in and emotionally scar themselves from it).

There are two key problems, one is our biology. Our bodies tell us (especially the men) that we are ready before we are, so our body changes will push us into being stupid and causing harm to ourselves and others (pretty such that is the official definition of puberty). The other is how to measure. If we say we want to find out for each person according to their own rate of development, rather than some arbitrary number, are we gonna allow the government to do that kind of testing? Do we have the trust in the government to allow that kind of intimacy? No, as a society, we do not. So we are stuck with arbitrary numbers tied to age that will naturally be imperfect and some that are ready will be denied, and others that are not ready will be harmed.
BblackkBbirdd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:25:07 PM
At 5/17/2015 1:05:11 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

That might be why they have a raging degree of STDs, because they forget about that part of the reasons for using protection.

That's not what I was talking about... but OK!
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:40:25 PM
lol, one sexuality getting a different age than the others? That would only be discriminatory if it was heterosexual relations that got benefited, right?

Well as men and women are different, that's just how I see it and how it would be if I had a kingdom...
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 1:59:18 PM
At 5/17/2015 1:11:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
It isn't about age but psychological maturity (meaning, both mental and emotional maturity). The problem is that everyone develops at a different rate. Someone might be ready at 14, someone may not until 22, some people are never mentally ready (though I would suspect that is because of a lack preparation and they just dive in and emotionally scar themselves from it).

There are two key problems, one is our biology. Our bodies tell us (especially the men) that we are ready before we are, so our body changes will push us into being stupid and causing harm to ourselves and others (pretty such that is the official definition of puberty). The other is how to measure. If we say we want to find out for each person according to their own rate of development, rather than some arbitrary number, are we gonna allow the government to do that kind of testing? Do we have the trust in the government to allow that kind of intimacy? No, as a society, we do not. So we are stuck with arbitrary numbers tied to age that will naturally be imperfect and some that are ready will be denied, and others that are not ready will be harmed.

Good points...it does relate to the type of society that one lives in. I agree that in American society the age for ALL relations should be 18...when I said "14 for lesbian relations" I meant in a society where people are generally good and righteous and everything is done righteously, 14 I think in a society like that being a possible age for independence.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 3:41:36 PM

"And that's why we have contraception and abortions!" You do realize that abortions and contraception that works 95% of the time are new and modern. Before that one had take responsibility for their actions. Abortion and contraception are just easy ways to sherk responsibility for engaging in intercourse. The passage of time and the invention of ways to make it easy to sherk responsibility does not make you more responsible but less. The question still stands regardless of the passage of time or ways to prevent pregnancy. Are you prepared to take responsibility should a pregnancy occurs? Having an abortion is an easy cop out to sherk responsibility. It wasn't possible 100 years ago.

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 3:45:34 PM
At 5/17/2015 11:15:47 AM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

Lol I thought the question was simple enough...

The question is "too" simple. With intercourse comes responsibility. The age of consent is irrelevant for the most part.

BblackkBbirdd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 3:51:16 PM
At 5/17/2015 3:41:36 PM, sadolite wrote:

"And that's why we have contraception and abortions!" You do realize that abortions and contraception that works 95% of the time are new and modern. Before that one had take responsibility for their actions. Abortion and contraception are just easy ways to sherk responsibility for engaging in intercourse. The passage of time and the invention of ways to make it easy to sherk responsibility does not make you more responsible but less. The question still stands regardless of the passage of time or ways to prevent pregnancy. Are you prepared to take responsibility should a pregnancy occurs? Having an abortion is an easy cop out to sherk responsibility. It wasn't possible 100 years ago.

http://cdn.someecards.com...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 5:38:49 PM
At 5/17/2015 3:51:16 PM, BblackkBbirdd wrote:
At 5/17/2015 3:41:36 PM, sadolite wrote:

http://cdn.someecards.com...

Excellent intellectual response

Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 6:16:41 PM
The question is "too" simple. With intercourse comes responsibility. The age of consent is irrelevant for the most part.

So that would be "yes, a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with 'people who are not big' OK" in your opinion?...My opinion is the age should depend on the type of society that one lives in and for American society I think that 18 is a good age.
TruthS4yer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:05:14 PM
So what are your thoughts on the "legal age" for sexual intercouse in a society?
It would be nice if people could avoid quoting all of previous large posts when replying please as this unnecessarily lengthens the thread.

Anyhow, I'm currently leaning towards an AoC of 14, which is the AoC in many countries, such as Germany, Italy, China, Japan, Brazil, Austria. It is interesting that people highlight the issues of pregnancy/STIs. Possibly a case could be made for a lower AoC for sexual activities other than penile-vaginal and anal sex on that basis, with a higher one (E.G. 16) for full penetrative sex.

Current AoC laws criminalise large swathes of the population for entirely victimless crimes and reinforce needless stigma attached to ephebophilia, which is reaching hysterical proportions currently.

Mercer et al., 2013, The Lancet, 382(9907), p1781"1794:
In the UK, 24.4% of men have had sex before age 16 (table 2), as have 17.4% of women, (table 3). They're all "child sex offenders" or "rapists" according to some people's mentality (about a fifth of the population).
http://www.thelancet.com...(13)62035-8/fulltext

In Russia it seems 40% of the population are sex offenders by this definition.
The Moscow Times, 27/05/2014, 40 Percent of Russian Girls Lose Virginity Before Reaching Age of Consent:
"More than 40 percent of girls have already lost their virginity by the age of 15 " a year younger than the legal age of consent in Russia " researchers said in a study titled "Medical and Social Problems of Raising Teenagers,""
http://www.themoscowtimes.com...

In the U.S. if you have 18 as the AoC, over 50% of your nation are likely "child sex offenders", unless you've got a few really young people skewing the mean downwards (very unlikely).
CDC, 2006-2010:
Mean age at first intercourse for men aged 15-44 = 17.1 years". (17 for women btw)
http://www.cdc.gov...

There is a case to be made that no AoC laws are needed and that anti-rape/sexual assault laws are sufficient, though I think for pragmatic reasons an AoC law may be best. The key change that is needed with AoC laws is that the public need to stop this ridiculous black and white thinking that anybody who is attracted to or even has sex with somebody under the AoC is a moral monster, equivalent to a violent rapist, irrespective of how that sex was solicited.
Please avoid quoting all of large posts - it needlessly means we have to scroll through them to navigate a thread.
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:24:42 PM
Anyhow, I'm currently leaning towards an AoC of 14, which is the AoC in many countries, such as Germany, Italy, China, Japan, Brazil, Austria. It is interesting that people highlight the issues of pregnancy/STIs. Possibly a case could be made for a lower AoC for sexual activities other than penile-vaginal and anal sex on that basis, with a higher one (E.G. 16) for full penetrative sex.

Current AoC laws criminalise large swathes of the population for entirely victimless crimes and reinforce needless stigma attached to ephebophilia, which is reaching hysterical proportions currently.

Mercer et al., 2013, The Lancet, 382(9907), p1781"1794:
In the UK, 24.4% of men have had sex before age 16 (table 2), as have 17.4% of women, (table 3). They're all "child sex offenders" or "rapists" according to some people's mentality (about a fifth of the population).
http://www.thelancet.com...(13)62035-8/fulltext

In Russia it seems 40% of the population are sex offenders by this definition.
The Moscow Times, 27/05/2014, 40 Percent of Russian Girls Lose Virginity Before Reaching Age of Consent:
"More than 40 percent of girls have already lost their virginity by the age of 15 " a year younger than the legal age of consent in Russia " researchers said in a study titled "Medical and Social Problems of Raising Teenagers,""
http://www.themoscowtimes.com...

In the U.S. if you have 18 as the AoC, over 50% of your nation are likely "child sex offenders", unless you've got a few really young people skewing the mean downwards (very unlikely).
CDC, 2006-2010:
Mean age at first intercourse for men aged 15-44 = 17.1 years". (17 for women btw)
http://www.cdc.gov...

There is a case to be made that no AoC laws are needed and that anti-rape/sexual assault laws are sufficient, though I think for pragmatic reasons an AoC law may be best. The key change that is needed with AoC laws is that the public need to stop this ridiculous black and white thinking that anybody who is attracted to or even has sex with somebody under the AoC is a moral monster, equivalent to a violent rapist, irrespective of how that sex was solicited.

I see...I disagree...I think that sex outside of wedlock can be a traumatic experience and that in a society as morally free as America can be one should be an adult before engaging in the possibly traumatic experience that sex outside of wedlock can be.
TruthS4yer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 7:33:33 PM
At 5/17/2015 7:24:42 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
I see...I disagree...I think that sex outside of wedlock can be a traumatic experience
Do you have any evidence to support this belief?
What specifically about marriage prevents this trauma?
Please avoid quoting all of large posts - it needlessly means we have to scroll through them to navigate a thread.
Mr_Eno_Otu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 8:26:12 PM
Do you have any evidence to support this belief?
What specifically about marriage prevents this trauma?

Well the basis for my personal belief about "fornication" is mainly myself, but religion testifies to the possible harmful effects of fornication.

For me it's (fornication) just something that can hurt the spirit and I think that one should be an adult before engaging in it in a society like the U.S.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2015 9:57:36 PM
At 5/17/2015 6:16:41 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:

So that would be "yes, a 100% always effective birth control method would make intercourse with 'people who are not big' OK" in your opinion?...My opinion is the age should depend on the type of society that one lives in and for American society I think that 18 is a good age.

Birth control has nothing to do with it. There is only 1 way to prevent pregnancy that is 100% guaranteed. Abstinence. Anything else is odds. It is not my opinion that people who have intercourse and produce a pregnancy knowing full well they are not up to the task of raising a child are irresponsible and therefore not mature enough to have intercourse. Abortion and birth control are modern conveniences to enable irresponsibly. Thinking you are being responsible by taking or using birth control and engaging in intercourse knowing full well you are not up to the task of raising a child should you produce a pregnancy or having an abortion after the fact is the apex of delusion.

TruthS4yer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 5:15:17 AM
At 5/17/2015 9:57:36 PM, sadolite wrote:
There is only 1 way to prevent pregnancy that is 100% guaranteed. Abstinence. Anything else is odds...
Mutual masturbation and oral sex are among the sexual practises which similarly have ~100% guarantee of avoiding pregnancy.

Abortion and birth control are modern conveniences to enable irresponsibly.
The link between sex and procreation is an ancient inconvenience.

At 5/17/2015 8:26:12 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
Well the basis for my personal belief about "fornication" is mainly myself, but religion testifies to the possible harmful effects of fornication.
Religions sometimes condemn fornication but this seems to be arbitrary. Religions in my experience are authoritarian and don't tend to seek to provide coherent explanations for their proclamations.

At 5/17/2015 8:26:12 PM, Mr_Eno_Otu wrote:
For me it's (fornication) just something that can hurt the spirit and I think that one should be an adult before engaging in it in a society like the U.S.
What is a spirit and how do you know that humans possess them?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 6:47:35 AM
So what are your thoughts on the "legal age" for sexual intercouse in a society?

http://www.confectionerynews.com...
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Legendary_Houp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2015 7:35:57 AM
Well, if you're able to choose the President of the United States, you should be able to have sex, so I say 18.

Personally, I believe you shouldn't have sex outside of marriage, but to be fair to the people who don't believe that, legally the age should be 18.