Jump to topic:

Game of Thrones discussion! Potential spoiler

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 10:08:48 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
This thread is for discussion about game of thrones! Any and all topics can be discussed, or debated here concerning Game of Thrones.

Anyone here read the books as well as watch the show? I currently am 4/6 through book 2, and in the middle of season 4 of the show. Loving every second of it so far!

Some discussion questions to kick things off, shall we?

If hypothetically you were a judge, and had the opportunity to put someone on trial for being the cause of the war on the seven kingdoms, who would be the culprit?

Jaime and Cercei for pushing Brandon Stark from that tower, causing Catelynn Stark to investigate?

Catelynn Stark, for arresting Tyrion without the proper evidence and thus igniting Tywin Lannister to arms?

Lisa Arryn and Peter Baelish for murdering Jon Arryn and sending the note blaming the Lannisters to Eddard and Catelynn?

Or Jeoffrey for doing the final dirty deed of beheading Eddard Stark, forgiving everything that led up to his "treasons"?

Any other culprits? I am eager to hear your opinions and discussion on other GOT topics.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 10:38:59 PM
I'm really sad that that one person died. They were my favourite :(
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2015 11:03:05 PM
Read all the books and caught up on the series.

Hands down Littlefinger. He:

- Manipulated Lysa into murdering Jon Arryn and writing to Catelyn that the Lannisters were not to be trusted.
- Manipulated Ned Stark into staying in King's Landing and finding out the truth about Cersei's children, leading to his eventual execution.
- Manipulated Cat into believing that the Lannister's attempted to have her son murdered, which incited her kidnapping of Tyrion, the catalyst for the entire conflict.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2015 9:37:10 AM
At 5/28/2015 11:03:05 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Read all the books and caught up on the series.

Hands down Littlefinger. He:

- Manipulated Lysa into murdering Jon Arryn and writing to Catelyn that the Lannisters were not to be trusted.
- Manipulated Ned Stark into staying in King's Landing and finding out the truth about Cersei's children, leading to his eventual execution.
- Manipulated Cat into believing that the Lannister's attempted to have her son murdered, which incited her kidnapping of Tyrion, the catalyst for the entire conflict.

All very good points. It's interesting the different opinions I hear. My roomate is convinced that Catelyn is responsible for arresting Tyrion, and is convinced that none of the bigger stuff may have happened if she hadn't done so.

Another co-worker of mine believes that Cersei is solely responsible because if she and Jaime hadn't pushed Bran from that tower, the Starks wouldn't have been as emotionally invested in there investigation into Jon Arryn's Death, and it likely would have led no where.

I may agree with you on Peter Baelish however. But I wonder, if Joffrey hadn't beheaded Ned Stark, would Rob have been as willing to call the banners if Ned had instead been sent to the night's watch? The book never explicitly says what his intentions might have been in this scenario, but I am inclined to believe that Rob wouldn't have called his banners if Ned wasn't beheaded based on his later peace treaty.

Though Stannis and Renly undoubtedly would have.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227