Jump to topic:

I lost this fight..

Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 12:25:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
The only thing I can say though, is the guy I fought was four years older. Any comments?
Cody_Franklin- "You aren't the sharpest bulb in the box, are you?"

Strikeeagle84015- "Why would you want a sharp bulb?"

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:17:05 PM
Keep your guard up. :P The gloves should be at least ear level protecting your head, doubly so since you don't have headgear on.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:46:16 PM
At 8/10/2010 3:32:35 PM, badger wrote:
you're too afraid of getting hit.

Yeah, your right. It's like a psychological thing, getting over the fact you know your about to get hit. And yeah, I probably should keep up my guard more. At on point if you notice, my arm went limp for a few seconds. We were circling when it happened, it must have been when I ran and punched.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" --Eleanor Roosevelt
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:49:58 PM
What I'll do is, since I'm boxing the guy who was video taping tomorrow, I'll keep my guard higher, get over getting hit, and see if it's a better fight. I'll tape it again and post it

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:51:14 PM
At 8/10/2010 3:46:16 PM, Hurstman wrote:
At 8/10/2010 3:32:35 PM, badger wrote:
you're too afraid of getting hit.

Yeah, your right. It's like a psychological thing, getting over the fact you know your about to get hit. And yeah, I probably should keep up my guard more. At on point if you notice, my arm went limp for a few seconds. We were circling when it happened, it must have been when I ran and punched.

The best way (IMO) to cure your fear of getting hit is to just let a guy hit you as hard as he can a bunch of times.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 3:59:40 PM
Best way to get over the fear, is to get one of your friends to spar with you.(I say friend because an acquaintance or enemy will just want to knock you out to show their strength) I do this with mine before Karate meets to get warmed up. Have them punch you in the stomach and the face but after awhile of sparring. When you go in to fight, you'll remember the sting but you won't be scared because you'll know it's coming. It's the mentality, "I did it once. I can do it again."
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:04:11 PM
@Korashk & Annhasle- I'll try that, to see if it works. It sounds like it will, but would I be able to keep going after I get hit a bunch of times? Or is it more for in the long run

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:11:34 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:04:11 PM, Hurstman wrote:
@Korashk & Annhasle- I'll try that, to see if it works. It sounds like it will, but would I be able to keep going after I get hit a bunch of times? Or is it more for in the long run

You shouldn't let him just hit you during a fight, unless you want to lose the fight.. Some time when you're not doing anything just tell somebody else to start hitting you. You'll eventually lose the fear.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:15:16 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:11:34 PM, Korashk wrote:

You shouldn't let him just hit you during a fight, unless you want to lose the fight.. Some time when you're not doing anything just tell somebody else to start hitting you. You'll eventually lose the fear.

Okay, I'll try it. Thanks

Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:15:50 PM
Is there anything I did during the fight that was good, that I should maximize on?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:16:45 PM

I was talking about sparring beforehand, not actually during a real fight. And don't get hit too much... otherwise you'll have a lot more pain and continue to be scared of being hit. To win fights, you have to use your body and you will be hit. So you have to rationalize that pain, and realize it's necessary to win. Once you have lost the fear of being hit, you'll be able to focus more during the fights and have a faster reaction time. It won't be that easy, but ya gotta do it. Good luck!
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:20:08 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:16:45 PM, annhasle wrote:

I was talking about sparring beforehand, not actually during a real fight. And don't get hit too much... otherwise you'll have a lot more pain and continue to be scared of being hit. To win fights, you have to use your body and you will be hit. So you have to rationalize that pain, and realize it's necessary to win. Once you have lost the fear of being hit, you'll be able to focus more during the fights and have a faster reaction time. It won't be that easy, but ya gotta do it. Good luck!

Yeah, that's what I meant too. If I get hit before the fight, that would only wear me out for the fight. And yeah, it makes sense. I'll try, tape another fight and you tell me if I improved.

badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:20:59 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:15:50 PM, Hurstman wrote:
Is there anything I did during the fight that was good, that I should maximize on?

not really no lol. don't go in for one or two punches and just back away either.. that's only giving whoever you're fighting a good chance to hit you. if you go in, stay in until the other person backs away.
signature
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:22:19 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:20:59 PM, badger wrote:

not really no lol. don't go in for one or two punches and just back away either.. that's only giving whoever you're fighting a good chance to hit you. if you go in, stay in until the other person backs away.

Okay, I'll try that too. That also goes along with me getting over getting hit

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:22:41 PM

I'm obviously not a boxer (KARATE FTW) but during the fight, you seemed eager to land hits which is good (you weren't too scared then, huh?). But you have to be careful, because if you're the only one jumping in to attack, then your opponent can hang back and wait for you. Make him come to you as well. Also, make sure you don't watch only his gloves- his shoulders, eyes and hips also tell where his blows are going. You're agile so that'll help you with boxing. You can do it~
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:23:27 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:22:16 PM, badger wrote:
and don't just go for the face all the time.

I don't usually just go for the face, I usually go for the stomach. But that was only a small part of the overall fight, and most of the time stomach shot didn't affect him. So I switched to face shots

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:23:55 PM
Don't forget to use your kamehameha wave!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:24:08 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:20:08 PM, Hurstman wrote:
At 8/10/2010 4:16:45 PM, annhasle wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant too. If I get hit before the fight, that would only wear me out for the fight. And yeah, it makes sense. I'll try, tape another fight and you tell me if I improved.

Definitely! I'm karate instructor so my advice won't be that good for boxing but I'll try!
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:24:52 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:22:41 PM, annhasle wrote:

I'm obviously not a boxer (KARATE FTW) but during the fight, you seemed eager to land hits which is good (you weren't too scared then, huh?). But you have to be careful, because if you're the only one jumping in to attack, then your opponent can hang back and wait for you. Make him come to you as well. Also, make sure you don't watch only his gloves- his shoulders, eyes and hips also tell where his blows are going. You're agile so that'll help you with boxing. You can do it~

Thanks, yeah this is good advice. But also remember that during the fight I don't think of all this stuff. I'd have to ground it in before it really became effective. I'll try though

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:24:55 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:23:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:

LOL You win.
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:25:41 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:23:55 PM, tvellalott wrote:

LOL

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:28:11 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:24:52 PM, Hurstman wrote:

Thanks, yeah this is good advice. But also remember that during the fight I don't think of all this stuff. I'd have to ground it in before it really became effective. I'll try though

Exactly. Don't worry, it took me awhile to get used to being hit a lot. But once you do, everything seems to click into place. Once you get that confidence, keep your gloves by your face, watch your opponents moves carefully and set a pace to your fights... you can kick total @ss. Practice though!! I only practice karate fifteen to twenty hours a week which is bad... I don't know how much a boxer should practice though. Ask badger, maybe he knows. :D
Hurstman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:30:39 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:28:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

Exactly. Don't worry, it took me awhile to get used to being hit a lot. But once you do, everything seems to click into place. Once you get that confidence, keep your gloves by your face, watch your opponents moves carefully and set a pace to your fights... you can kick total @ss. Practice though!! I only practice karate fifteen to twenty hours a week which is bad... I don't know how much a boxer should practice though. Ask badger, maybe he knows. :D

Thanks, but I'm not an actual boxer :p. I'm trying to get better, but the reason I started was to beat my friends in fights. Some I can, some I get the sh!t beaten out of me

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:32:28 PM
At 8/10/2010 4:30:39 PM, Hurstman wrote:
At 8/10/2010 4:28:11 PM, annhasle wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not an actual boxer :p. I'm trying to get better, but the reason I started was to beat my friends in fights. Some I can, some I get the sh!t beaten out of me

LOL I know, but to get better ya gotta practice like a real one... Well, not as much probably. Unless you want to totally kick your friend's asses!
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:42:09 PM
At 8/10/2010 12:25:32 PM, Hurstman wrote:
The only thing I can say though, is the guy I fought was four years older. Any comments?

No offense Hurst, but I think that your main problem is that you're a pvssy and can't throw a punch lol. You're bulky so you should have been able to take the other guy down with you, instead of hanging off his waist like that. I expect a lot of it is psychological though, as others have said.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 4:56:09 PM
At 8/10/2010 12:25:32 PM, Hurstman wrote:

I've taken down guys in their late 20's. The oldest was a 31 year old Karate instructor. I'm 17. Age does not matter, if you got skill. PRACTICE.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2010 5:05:40 PM
Like people have said PUT YOUR HANDS UP.

Also, when you're throwing a punch don't lower your other hand, that's a good way to get counter-punched out.

Put your body into your punches. You're obviously just trying to punch with just your arm strength while also backing away - that isn't going to work. You need to put weight behind your punches.

Move a lot more - your feet and your head.

Combo him.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!