Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 9:03:32 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 6/4/2015 7:53:56 AM, Proving_a_Negative wrote:
Is anything truly random?

Everything is.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Lee001
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2015 12:36:12 PM

HEYYYYY!!!!!!! :D

^^^^ that was random.
"Condoms are societal constructs created by the government to restrain 'Murican freedom!"-SolonKR

"But I jest and digress (sick rhymes, yo); every boob is equal in the eyes of the Lord."- SolonKR

"Oh Hey, Seeing Artichokes Makes Me Want to Have Sex."- SolonKR

"Yep, but anyone who touches my hair immediately ascends to the heavens..You're already an angel, so touching my hair can do nothing <3" -SolonKR

My hubby Hayd <3 <3
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 12:53:43 AM

I guess that depends on your interpretation of quantum mechanics.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 1:06:20 AM

No, you got your answer now go away
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 1:07:37 AM
At 6/5/2015 12:53:43 AM, philochristos wrote:

It is either true or not iregardless of interpretation.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 1:08:01 AM
At 6/5/2015 1:07:37 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 6/5/2015 12:53:43 AM, philochristos wrote:

It is either true or not iregardless of interpretation.

I stand corrected.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:17:09 AM

You might actually mean "Is any effect not due to a strict deterministic cause?". And that leads to the delightful subject of "first cause". Presumable the first whatever that caused the first whatever we might as understand as caused must itself NOT be caused, or self caused.

But as to 'random' - the useful way to look at it from an engineering viewpoint is as "noise driven". That is, being able to determine something about outcomes when you don't know the precise causation. If I flip a coin, I don't know the exact velocities and all that, but we can say that it will eventually reach a stable point with either the head or tails side facing up. So random is not uncaused in any way, just imprecise causation.
This space for rent.
Philocat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2015 9:39:05 AM
Firstly we need to define 'random'.

Mathematically, an event is random if the probability of that event is exactly equal to the probabilities of all the other possible events that could have happened.

For example, rolling a three on a fair dice is random because the probability of rollin a three is equal to the probabilities of all the other possible events (such as rolling a 2 or a 6).

So now the question is whether, in a given situation, all the possible events have an equal probability of occurring.

Since perfectly fair dice or coins don't exist (probably), the only example of random events I can think of is radioactive decay, where at a given time there is an equal probability of any nucleus decaying.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 8:40:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
belladb8s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:00:47 PM
No. Scientifically impossible...essentially it is what caused Einstein's EPR paradox (this tie is something one can only make with an understanding of physics) and subsequently, and most interestingly in my opinion, Bell's Inequality. It's all super cool (and I am not advanced enough to explain it well enough) but I must urge you read about it.
belladb8s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 11:03:52 PM
But to simplify it down...(this is not 100% accurate, as it is near impossible to simplify quantum mechanics) Bell's Inequality is the closest plausible way we can reach a perfect random number/selection. Note I said closest...even it is not quite there. As far as we know, 100% random doesn't exist.