Jump to topic:

I want to make reading a hobby

Kryptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 11:24:47 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Obviously I am not illiterate and can understand the English language fairly well, I'm just curious as to how someone can make reading an avid passion. I have read copious amounts of science literature, but this doesn't satisfy my taste for learning, some people say reading is relaxing, tiring, and enriched in a world of wonders.

But how would I get around beginning? What books should I read? What time should I read them? I have many questions involving this.

I have read 3 novels in my entire life from cover to cover that included more than 100 pages. And this was when I was 12, I had moved up to a new city and had no friends, no computer and was bored out of my brain. It was more or less... read something entertaining or depression will instil.

Any tips will be handy. okay thanks.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 3:53:01 PM
I enjoy reading, so I do it a lot. Mostly non fiction, things to enrich myself. However I see no reason to do something you don't enjoy doing. There are so many forms of media why read? If you enjoy listening to science lectures instead, download some professors talking about science online.

It makes me kinda sick when people time kid's reading. I see them buy those stupid timers in the book store and can't seem to think that there are so many options concerning what forms of media are available to you, that nobody should engage in one they don't enjoy.

Listen to lectures, books on CD, watch some documentaries. If you want to do it for entertainment, you could watch television play games or whatever it is that people who seek entertainment do.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 7:29:40 PM
I'm just curious as to how someone can make reading an avid passion. Snort, lol
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2015 9:43:23 PM
I've already commented on your other post, but I've got another thing to add.

Always go to the library first. The bookstore is for when you have a specific book in mind you want to buy. The library has a far more diverse collection of books, while bookstores just sell books that sell well, like that Men Are From Mars stuff.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 10:32:23 PM
I would argue that you shouldn't force yourself to get into a book no matter what; you might find a fantastic book for the wait, but it also could very likely kill the drive to read before it even starts up. Lists of great books are a nice place to start, but you shouldn't force yourself to read a book just because it's a "great book"; I made myself get through The Great Gatsby and it most certainly did not become more enjoyable as it went on; some people love it, and that's fine, but others will not enjoy it.

What I would do is figure out what you are interested in--for example, I like satire and history. Take that, and there are two good options I would suggest (though certainly not the only two):
1. Find a list of good books in that genre. Read previews of them (Google often has the first few pages available to see), and buy or borrow whatever books seem interesting. If you don't find one interesting, just set it down and find another one.
2. Go to your library. Find the section that has the type of book you like. Find something with an interesting title, flip through it to see if it's interesting. Rinse and repeat.

If it's just the reading in itself that you don't like, though, audiobooks or videos are always valid alternatives. People learn in many different ways.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3