Jump to topic:

What about Ireland?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2009 1:03:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If you have any possible questions about Ireland feel free t oask. I may or may not answer seriously.....
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2009 1:04:40 PM
When you land in the airport is there really 3 foot high booze bottles?
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2009 1:19:49 PM
At 1/13/2009 1:04:40 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
When you land in the airport is there really 3 foot high booze bottles?

I am sorry to say no, there is not. However, customs is more of a breeze. There is the spire, which is a huge stick in the middle of Dublin. http://www.procedureman.com...
We also have the St. James brewery, one of the first factories to produce guiness.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2009 5:07:11 PM
Is eldorado really the capital of Ireland, or is that just a myth?

Is this "Ire-land" at all related to the "ice-land" which I have heard spoken of?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2009 5:18:23 PM
If you walk up and kiss an Irish person, will saying "What, you're IRISH" get you off the hook?

Does this change depending on what part of their body you kiss them on?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
jjmd280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2009 7:19:19 AM
Why doesn't N Ireland want to be part of the Republic? Never understood that. It can't JUST be about religion, can it? Do you consider them true Irish?
jjmd280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2009 7:19:34 AM
At 1/14/2009 7:19:19 AM, jjmd280 wrote:
Why doesn't N Ireland want to be part of the Republic? Never understood that. It can't JUST be about religion, can it? Do you consider them true Irish?

Or traitors?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2009 1:07:16 PM
@ Diablos:
You're country wouldn't be nearly as nice if the Irish were not around to build the railways and buildings. Oh and cheers for burying the bodies who died on the side of the road and not telling the families.

@Harlan:
El Dorado, loosely speaking, is the capital of Ireland. Vikings started it up, and stored gold in Dublin. El Dorado is the city of gold. Dublin = El Dorado. (We have used all the gold to but beer, sorry!)

Ireland and Iceland are related in so far that
1) We are Islands.
2) We are cold
We are in no other way connected.

@ Ragnar:
If you randomly kissed someone is the streets of Dublin, you would be punched in the face. They would continue to beat you. They would drag you into the nearest pub and shout 'We have a proddy (protestant)'. You would then be beat you within an inch of your life. But no one cares if you're female, so long as it isn't limited to a kiss. Unless you have a death wish, or orgasm out broken bones, it is not recommended.

@ Jjmd280:
During the 16th century, the English wanted a greater grip over ireland. They decided to take land off the Gaelic Irish lords, Anglicise it (make it all British), settle English and do a runner after 5 years. The best one happened in Ulster. British soldiers were awarded land, so they wouldn't be budged easily. Scots, who were Presbyterian, also settled there. They were too tough and were not driven easily from the land. When Ireland rebelled in the 1916, and negotiated with Britain in the 1920's, part of the agreement was that the 6 counties that form N Ireland would remain part of the Union.

The divide in Ulster was great. There was a split between protestant and Catholics. Cities such as Derry and Belfast have zones for each side. Paramilitary groups such as the Unionist UVF (Ulster Volunteer force) and Nationalist IRA ( Irish republican army) often clashed. The unionist gained the upper hand, as the police force were sympathetic to them. As the troubles ended, both sides lay down there arms. The catholic to protestant ratio is currently 45:55 and rising in favour of the Catholics. Ireland and the UK both agree that it is solely the choice of N Irish people to decided on whether to join the republic or not. Eventually, within the next 100 years, we may see a united Ireland.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2009 11:52:43 PM
At 1/14/2009 8:31:25 PM, Harlan wrote:
I have heard many a legend about the far-away land that they call "Ire-lan"...

I have never heard of Ire-lan before, but wish you well in your travels.

Is it true about the camels?
Camels, yes and no. We have some in our zoo's, and occasionally, when all else fails, use them as rides home from the pub when there are
A) Dodgy taxi's
OR
B) No Taxi's
OR
C) Just for the laugh.
They are not in the wilderness, yet.
Yoni
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2009 10:58:38 PM
I love Guinness! But I hate the Irish and my mother by blood.

So is this a serious thread or are you just waiting for the "LOL TEH IRISH ARE ALCOHOLICS!" posts to come rolling in?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2009 4:46:29 AM
At 1/16/2009 10:58:38 PM, Yoni wrote:
I love Guinness! But I hate the Irish and my mother by blood.

So is this a serious thread or are you just waiting for the "LOL TEH IRISH ARE ALCOHOLICS!" posts to come rolling in?

No this is a serious thread. 90% of the people here are Americans, and they often take me for American, so I like to establish that I'm Irish and the angle they can perceive me at.

And why do you hate the Irish. Come to any pub and by jesus we'll mill ye out of it so we will!
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2009 7:23:26 AM
Is that true?
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
s0m31john
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2009 7:33:53 AM
Oh yes, very.

Listen to episode 5 of my former podcast. Technically it wasn't a prank call, but we did call him in the future unannounced.

http://dnpen.com...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2009 8:21:12 AM
Wrong. A Dublin radio station often pranks people pretending to be famous people. it is quite funny. It's called blast from the past as they oftne pretend to know the person in hand:

That is the only one I can find right now, but with iTunes I think you can download them from www.dublins98.ie/podcasts

The reason why we wouldn't like your pranks is because of
A) their utter stupidity
and
B) Your 'nails on the chalkboard' accent.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2009 12:37:57 PM
At 1/17/2009 10:24:14 AM, SaraMarie wrote:
Why are Americans accents so annoying to the Irish?

Numerous reasons. It is not really the accent, more of the way you speak, mannerisms, etc.
- Americans say 'Have a nice day'. We take that as a threat. 'Back off. I'll have whatever type of day I want'. We are more realistic. We say 'Good luck!'.

- The accent is just so high pitched than the rest of the world it si annoying.

There are many more, but I shall not divulge into them. If you need proof, ask Brianeggilston.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2009 1:23:06 PM
At 1/17/2009 12:43:30 PM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
What happened to Ireland after World War II?

We were blocked entry in to the U.N. several times by the Russians. We had a staggering economy, more going out than coming in, both in population and money. Conservatism dwindled, liberal middle class rose up, got the Celtic tiger, kicking butt since 1996.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2009 8:03:54 PM
I have never heard of Ire-lan before, but wish you well in your travels.

My name, Harlan, means "land of the hares", and therefore I'm not sure irelan would be innacurate.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2009 5:55:27 AM
At 1/17/2009 7:44:06 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
Is there a drinking age in Ireland? I know there's a lot of countries in Europe without one.

Yes, it is currently set at the age of 18. However, I could drink in my house and the police(called the Garda Siochana, meaning Guardians of the Peace) couldn't do anything about it.

It is a misconception European countries have no drinking laws. They are often set to 16, some have gone to 18.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2009 2:03:21 PM
At 1/18/2009 9:41:13 AM, DiablosChaosBroker wrote:
What's the age of consent in Ireland?

Consent for what? Sex?

17, any reported cases lower than that is treated as statutory rape.
crackofdawn_Jr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2009 4:40:56 PM
How many beers does the average Irishman drink a week?
-Mark Twain

- William Shakespeare

- Adolf Hitler
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2009 11:47:51 PM
At 1/18/2009 4:40:56 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
How many beers does the average Irishman drink a week?

A small child of beer.