Jump to topic:

I Need a Veteran

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2015 2:25:00 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I need a veteran of the U.S. Army, because I have questions about the way that the military works (I'm writing a story and I'd prefer to possess a high degree of accuracy).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 12:53:55 AM
For real, guys. Anybody wanna help me out?

The DDO Blog:

PatriotPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 2:15:37 PM
At 6/12/2015 12:53:55 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Try posting this in the Personal forum. You might have better luck there.
"Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan" -JFK
"You all stink like poo poo" - Rich Davis
"That idea may just be crazy enough... TO GET US ALL KILLED!" -Squidward Tentacles
"My heart is always breaking for the ghosts that haunt this room." -Nate Ruess
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 4:15:21 PM

I'd be glad to help ya, amigo...but I was a Navy Submariner.

I DO work for the VA, however, and know and have known many, many, Army vets. From WWII to OIF and OEF. (Our most recent Middle Easter Wars).

I have Army vet buddies too, so if you don't get any bits from Army vets I will do what I can.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 5:28:54 PM
At 6/7/2015 2:25:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
I need a veteran of the U.S. Army, because I have questions about the way that the military works (I'm writing a story and I'd prefer to possess a high degree of accuracy).

What specifically?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 6:21:42 PM
At 6/12/2015 5:28:54 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 6/7/2015 2:25:00 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

What specifically?

I fail to understand the question.

The DDO Blog:

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 6:24:51 PM
At 6/12/2015 4:15:21 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

I DO work for the VA, however, and know and have known many, many, Army vets. From WWII to OIF and OEF. (Our most recent Middle Easter Wars).

I have Army vet buddies too, so if you don't get any bits from Army vets I will do what I can.

Okay, so...

Imagine that it's WWII. You join the army in 1944. The 37th Infantry Division (I made that up) is currently fighting in Italy. Is there a possibility that you'd be assigned to that unit and shipped to Europe to join them, or would you be assigned to a brand new/recently reactivated unit that hasn't yet been deployed?

The DDO Blog:

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:01:36 PM
At 6/12/2015 6:24:51 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Okay, so...

Imagine that it's WWII. You join the army in 1944. The 37th Infantry Division (I made that up) is currently fighting in Italy. Is there a possibility that you'd be assigned to that unit and shipped to Europe to join them, or would you be assigned to a brand new/recently reactivated unit that hasn't yet been deployed?

Oh..I can safely assure you that it is FAR more likely for the newbie to go to an already-established unit. Probably to replace casualties.

Of course, the new recruit, or enlistee in your case, would first go to basic training, stateside. Then maybe after that, if he were going into a Spec field, like Armor or Airborne or Special Forces or medical..whatever, he would undergo a secondary training school.

This all would depend on his "MOS" which is his "military occupational specialty." His job. If he were just gonna be infantry, a "ground-pounder" or "bullet-stopper" (LOL--dark military humor) he could just do his 12-week or whatever Basic training and then be deployed.

During wartime any training he underwent stateside before deploying would most likely be abbreviated from what it would be during peace time, depending on how urgent he was needed overseas.

A guy who voluntarily enlisted would have a way better chance at getting the MOS he wanted than would a draftee. This is why some guys enlist even in wartime. Better to be a, say, tank mechanic at a support base--"in the rear with the gear" then on the front lines.

The Army--for obvious reasons does not like to send in whole companies or platoons of "FNG's" (fuggin new guys). Almost always, they are blended with seasoned combat veterans.

Hope this helps. Let me know of ya need more!
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:03:41 PM
In the Navy we did not have MOS's. We called 'em NEC's and the codes were different. But you can look up some Army ones online. I remember a few: 11B or "eleven bravo" is common infantry. A tanker is a 19K...nineteen kilo. These MOS's' all combine numeric-alpha codes.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:09:01 PM
At 6/12/2015 8:01:36 PM, Saint_of_Me wrote:
At 6/12/2015 6:24:51 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Okay, so...

Oh..I can safely assure you that it is FAR more likely for the newbie to go to an already-established unit. Probably to replace casualties.

Of course, the new recruit, or enlistee in your case, would first go to basic training, stateside. Then maybe after that, if he were going into a Spec field, like Armor or Airborne or Special Forces or medical..whatever, he would undergo a secondary training school.

This all would depend on his "MOS" which is his "military occupational specialty." His job. If he were just gonna be infantry, a "ground-pounder" or "bullet-stopper" (LOL--dark military humor) he could just do his 12-week or whatever Basic training and then be deployed.

During wartime any training he underwent stateside before deploying would most likely be abbreviated from what it would be during peace time, depending on how urgent he was needed overseas.

A guy who voluntarily enlisted would have a way better chance at getting the MOS he wanted than would a draftee. This is why some guys enlist even in wartime. Better to be a, say, tank mechanic at a support base--"in the rear with the gear" then on the front lines.

The Army--for obvious reasons does not like to send in whole companies or platoons of "FNG's" (fuggin new guys). Almost always, they are blended with seasoned combat veterans.

Hope this helps. Let me know of ya need more!

So most likely the guy would be shipped to Italy and onto the battlefield, correct?

The DDO Blog:

Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2015 8:13:23 PM
Oh...yeah. Sorry.

After his training off he goes to wherever his MOS skills--even if he in 11B--are most needed. he would have zero choice in the matter. "Fist to go, last to know." (that is actually a Marine phrase!)

So..yeah...Italy; Sicily; North Africa; France--after D-Day when we had some occupation there, of course. But Italy was one of the main destinations for new recruits during WWI in Europe.

All this info I gave you applies to somebody going into the Pacific Theater, as well. But it sounds like you are interested in the War in Europe. Most of the Pac War guys were Navy and Gyrenes.
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2015 1:16:18 PM
At 6/12/2015 8:58:21 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Thanks, Saint_of_me.

YW, bro.

Do not hesitate to ever ask me anything on military history. It is a favorite study area of mine. And I hear a bit of it almost every day where I work.

And if you ever need anything on subs..I definitely am your boy!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2015 6:11:59 PM
Don't be surprised if you have trouble getting someone in the military to talk to you . Public and higher education has not been much of an ally or friend to the military. If I was I n the military I would be suspicious of anyone claiming to be a student from a public school or college taking my words out of context and painting them in a bad light to make the military look bad. God knows the education system has smeared the military for decades. Just sayin.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2015 6:07:17 PM
At 6/14/2015 6:11:59 PM, sadolite wrote:
Don't be surprised if you have trouble getting someone in the military to talk to you . Public and higher education has not been much of an ally or friend to the military. If I was I n the military I would be suspicious of anyone claiming to be a student from a public school or college taking my words out of context and painting them in a bad light to make the military look bad. God knows the education system has smeared the military for decades. Just sayin.

Meh. I am a Submarine vet and I have no problems or even hesitancy in answering any questions that I can for a curious student. So long as they do not concern classified or covert Ops.

As far as smearing the mil? Ehh...the press and the liberal book authors have done that for years. And a far more thorough and widely-read job of it than can some regular Joe on and Internet Forum.