Jump to topic:

Joey's Second Victory Lap

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:50:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Earlier today, I went on a victory lap after winning the "1227th post wins" thread. I just needed to remind all of you in case you forgot, but that's a pretty bloody big deal, and all of you should worship the ground I walk on.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way.... I have an interesting story to tell all of you: one with ebbs and flows, with hardships and triumphs and... more hardships, but what started like the Terminator ended like a Disney movie. It tells us one great lesson: econ nerds always win, irrespective of how much Rev hates them.

So, I posted three or so threads venting about my horrid experiences with group projects. I'm too lazy to link to them, though I could upon request.

Basically, group projects for me end in one of two ways:

(a) I crack the whip, get into a shouting match with my sh1t-for-brains teammates, and eventually they concede and do *something,* though whether that *something* is actually quality work remains to be seen. My first post addressed how many stupid ideas my teammates have put forward.

(b) I try to crack the whip, no one gives in, and eventually I cave and do the entire project myself.

I tried Method A recently, and pretty much failed miserably. Okay, a B isn't failing, but it's the first B I've gotten in a really long time, and alongside the rest of my grades (not to toot my own horn, though *cough* they're A's) and, my God, it's depressing. It's not one of those, "Well, I worked really hard and earned this grade, so I can accept it." If that were the case, of course I'd be happy with a B, and no one should be ashamed of that grade if you feel that you worked to your potential. But, obviously, if you should have done better or were fcked over by either a horrible team or a terrible professor (both of which I was, by the way), then it's agonizing. It took everything in me to not curse these arsholes out, but nevertheless I didn't.

Thereafter - in a summer class, actually - I tried Method B. I felt a lot more comfortable with Method B, because it was a finance class instead of a marketing/management/finance class, so it's more within my comfort zone and not based on arbitrary, feel-good, stoner-induced, opinionated, artsy bullsh1t that is, in most cases, highly subjective (had to get a few jabs in against marketing, of course).

In this case, my teammates were completely apathetic. They didn't contribute a single thing to the second project, and actually didn't even bother to respond to my texts until an hour before the project was due, as though I was going to instantly pull some crap out of the sky for them to do. At that time - and this goes for both projects - I was in the process of finishing the appendices, checking my math, writing up the citations, etc., so obviously I (a) had already finished everything that actually required thought and (b) I was in hyperfocused mode, so I didn't want to be disturbed. Of course they know contacting me at the last minute would yield that result. I'm not a jackars, and there's just a bit of a moral hazard problem with group projects. If I let them fail, then I fail too, and obviously I put more of a premium on doing well than they do.

This is, however, a great case for comparison, because while the first project of this kind nevertheless follows Method B, I tried many elements of Method A. For instance, I gave both of my teammates a tiny assignment: do some research on the two companies and tell me why firm-specific risk may be high. This is literally as open-ended as it gets. Find me one or two relevant news stories and bullsh1t a case. Yet, I ended up doing at least 70% of this. The 30% I didn't write was written on the spot 10 minutes before it was due, and I was so ashamed that I didn't even bother to proofread what he wrote. Heck, I had to *delete* some of what my other partner wrote, because apparently she doesn't understand what "high" means... or firm-specific risk.. or, "Can you do this, it's due at midnight?"

Anyway, grades are now in - and voila, I got an A in the class. I ran the numbers, and in order to have received the bare minimum number grade sufficient for a 95 average, I had to - at the very least - average a 96.5 on these two projects: projects that I had (a) zero help on and (b) put together at the last minute.

Now, I'm the type of person who would say, "Hey, a 96.5 is horrid! Where's the other 3.5 points!" Heck, the only reason that mark needed to be so bloody high was because I fell asleep during the bloody final exam after coming down from a caffeine high, and only pulled out a 90. But, nevertheless, I'm thrilled. This is easily one of my greatest triumphs, and demonstrates to me, clearly, that the only way for me to approach group projects is to tell my teammates to fck off.

tl;dr: I aced my finance class, and telling my teammates, effectively, to fck off ensured that success. I encourage you all to do the same.
~ResponsiblyIrresponsible

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:52:30 PM
tl dr?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 6:55:36 PM
At 6/9/2015 6:52:30 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
tl dr?

Quoting from the above:

"tl;dr: I aced my finance class, and telling my teammates, effectively, to fck off ensured that success. I encourage you all to do the same."

You should read it, though. It's a good story.

DDO's Economics Messiah
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:41:06 PM
At 6/9/2015 6:55:36 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
tl dr?

Quoting from the above:

"tl;dr: I aced my finance class, and telling my teammates, effectively, to fck off ensured that success. I encourage you all to do the same."

Congrats!
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:41:46 PM
At 6/9/2015 7:41:06 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 6/9/2015 6:55:36 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
tl dr?

Quoting from the above:

Congrats!

Thanks!

DDO's Economics Messiah
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 9:43:37 PM
People ought to post tl;dr's first, before the actual substance of the post. That way others won't read through the whole thing only to find out at the end of the post that they didn't have to XD
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 9:57:11 PM
At 6/9/2015 9:43:37 PM, Sapphique wrote:
People ought to post tl;dr's first, before the actual substance of the post. That way others won't read through the whole thing only to find out at the end of the post that they didn't have to XD

But then I'd be depriving you of the joy of reading the entire post!

DDO's Economics Messiah
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 9:59:33 PM
At 6/9/2015 9:57:11 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Isn't that the point of a tl;dr? Lol.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 10:03:22 PM
At 6/9/2015 9:59:33 PM, Sapphique wrote:

Eh, sorttttttt of, lol.

For the most part, it's a "you could skip it, and if you do that, I don't want to deprive you of this wondrous content, but nevertheless I'm purposely leaving out detail so that you'll read the entire post."

Honestly, though, I'm just glad that at least one person read the post lollol

DDO's Economics Messiah
Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 10:04:51 PM
At 6/9/2015 10:03:22 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Eh, sorttttttt of, lol.

For the most part, it's a "you could skip it, and if you do that, I don't want to deprive you of this wondrous content, but nevertheless I'm purposely leaving out detail so that you'll read the entire post."

I skimmed it. Congrats, btw.

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 10:05:50 PM
At 6/9/2015 10:04:51 PM, Sapphique wrote:
At 6/9/2015 10:03:22 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:

Eh, sorttttttt of, lol.

I skimmed it. Congrats, btw.

Eh, good enough, lol

Thanks!

DDO's Economics Messiah
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 10:33:07 PM
At 6/9/2015 6:50:44 PM, ResponsiblyIrresponsible wrote:
Earlier today, I went on a victory lap after winning the "1227th post wins" thread. I just needed to remind all of you in case you forgot, but that's a pretty bloody big deal, and all of you should worship the ground I walk on.

Okay, now that we've got that out of the way.... I have an interesting story to tell all of you: one with ebbs and flows, with hardships and triumphs and... more hardships, but what started like the Terminator ended like a Disney movie. It tells us one great lesson: econ nerds always win, irrespective of how much Rev hates them.

So, I posted three or so threads venting about my horrid experiences with group projects. I'm too lazy to link to them, though I could upon request.

Basically, group projects for me end in one of two ways:

(a) I crack the whip, get into a shouting match with my sh1t-for-brains teammates, and eventually they concede and do *something,* though whether that *something* is actually quality work remains to be seen. My first post addressed how many stupid ideas my teammates have put forward.

(b) I try to crack the whip, no one gives in, and eventually I cave and do the entire project myself.

I tried Method A recently, and pretty much failed miserably. Okay, a B isn't failing, but it's the first B I've gotten in a really long time, and alongside the rest of my grades (not to toot my own horn, though *cough* they're A's) and, my God, it's depressing. It's not one of those, "Well, I worked really hard and earned this grade, so I can accept it." If that were the case, of course I'd be happy with a B, and no one should be ashamed of that grade if you feel that you worked to your potential. But, obviously, if you should have done better or were fcked over by either a horrible team or a terrible professor (both of which I was, by the way), then it's agonizing. It took everything in me to not curse these arsholes out, but nevertheless I didn't.

Thereafter - in a summer class, actually - I tried Method B. I felt a lot more comfortable with Method B, because it was a finance class instead of a marketing/management/finance class, so it's more within my comfort zone and not based on arbitrary, feel-good, stoner-induced, opinionated, artsy bullsh1t that is, in most cases, highly subjective (had to get a few jabs in against marketing, of course).

In this case, my teammates were completely apathetic. They didn't contribute a single thing to the second project, and actually didn't even bother to respond to my texts until an hour before the project was due, as though I was going to instantly pull some crap out of the sky for them to do. At that time - and this goes for both projects - I was in the process of finishing the appendices, checking my math, writing up the citations, etc., so obviously I (a) had already finished everything that actually required thought and (b) I was in hyperfocused mode, so I didn't want to be disturbed. Of course they know contacting me at the last minute would yield that result. I'm not a jackars, and there's just a bit of a moral hazard problem with group projects. If I let them fail, then I fail too, and obviously I put more of a premium on doing well than they do.

This is, however, a great case for comparison, because while the first project of this kind nevertheless follows Method B, I tried many elements of Method A. For instance, I gave both of my teammates a tiny assignment: do some research on the two companies and tell me why firm-specific risk may be high. This is literally as open-ended as it gets. Find me one or two relevant news stories and bullsh1t a case. Yet, I ended up doing at least 70% of this. The 30% I didn't write was written on the spot 10 minutes before it was due, and I was so ashamed that I didn't even bother to proofread what he wrote. Heck, I had to *delete* some of what my other partner wrote, because apparently she doesn't understand what "high" means... or firm-specific risk.. or, "Can you do this, it's due at midnight?"

Anyway, grades are now in - and voila, I got an A in the class. I ran the numbers, and in order to have received the bare minimum number grade sufficient for a 95 average, I had to - at the very least - average a 96.5 on these two projects: projects that I had (a) zero help on and (b) put together at the last minute.

Now, I'm the type of person who would say, "Hey, a 96.5 is horrid! Where's the other 3.5 points!" Heck, the only reason that mark needed to be so bloody high was because I fell asleep during the bloody final exam after coming down from a caffeine high, and only pulled out a 90. But, nevertheless, I'm thrilled. This is easily one of my greatest triumphs, and demonstrates to me, clearly, that the only way for me to approach group projects is to tell my teammates to fck off.

tl;dr: I aced my finance class, and telling my teammates, effectively, to fck off ensured that success. I encourage you all to do the same.

Congrats for the A JMK! You know you're a capable student, and honestly, you might not have got it if your group members were a little more willing to work...
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 10:38:07 PM
At 6/9/2015 10:33:07 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
Congrats for the A JMK! You know you're a capable student, and honestly, you might not have got it if your group members were a little more willing to work...

Thanks!

As much as it pains me to say it, that may actually be the case.

[going slightly off-topic for a moment].

Surprisingly, although the mantra is usually "with a team, 2 + 2 = 5!" and other such nonsense, I've always worked better alone. I actually had to do this exercise a few years ago in this management class, and the goal of the assignment was to prove to us that our scores would be higher in a team than individually.

Basically, our "scores" were an average error - the highest possible was about 280 or something, and a 0 was perfect.

My individual score: 42
My team score: 115

No one, not even a single team, beat my individual score - so, if anything, that exercise proved to me, because I kicked the crap out of everyone else, that I really do work better alone, lol.

DDO's Economics Messiah
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:08:12 PM

So I decided I'm to you as bossy is to airmax.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:10:01 PM
At 6/9/2015 11:08:12 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:

So I decided I'm to you as bossy is to airmax.

LOL.

Oh, that's amazing. I can't wait to actually pour through these - at least now that I'm in a good mood, lol.

DDO's Economics Messiah
YamaVonKarma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 11:47:37 PM
We need to raise $50,000 to go to our national competition and they refuse to allow us to just pay it. With 11 months left and only $3,000 raised, I am organizing 16 fundraisers for this summer through spring of next year which will help a lot. Next comes getting members of my post to f**king volunteer to work. I feel your pain.
People who I've called as mafia DP1:
TUF, and YYW