Jump to topic:

knife design contest

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:21:04 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
As some of you know, I make knives as a hobby. I've been out of commission for about a month because of a shoulder injury, but now I'm recovered enough to start making knives again.

But I'm having a creative slump and don't really feel like making more copies of a bunch of knives I've already made. So I thought it might be fun to have a knife-design competition.

What I want each of you to do is to design a knife. Just draw the profile on a piece of paper or computer or whatever. It just needs to show the shape of the knife, but you can also include the grind lines, the handle, and where the pins go if you want. Post that picture on line somewhere and provide a link to it in this thread.

The knife is going to be anywhere from 6 to 9 inches over all length. Keep that in mind when you design the handle.

I will choose the winner based entirely on my subjective preference of which knife I want to make. Then I'll make the knife along with a sheath and send it to the winner free of charge.

Since I'm going to send the knife (and a sheath) to the winner, I have to limit who can enter this competition. It must be somebody who has an American address. The reason is because international shipping is always either crazy expensive, or there are countries that won't allow you to ship a knife there at all. And it's always a hassle to send something to another country. So, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to limit the entries to people in the US.

The deadline for submissions is this Friday. One submission per person.

Design away!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:44:58 PM
At 6/9/2015 7:21:04 PM, philochristos wrote:

Hypothetically, can one not in the US enter, but choose someone else on DDO to send it to if they win?
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:45:47 PM
As some of you know, I make knives as a hobby. I've been out of commission for about a month because of a shoulder injury, but now I'm recovered enough to start making knives again.

BTW, I didn't know that. I knew you made bows, but not knives. I'll definitely keep that in mind, as my dad is an avid knife and sword collector.
I'd love to see some of your previous work.
Solonkr~

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:49:43 PM
At 6/9/2015 7:44:58 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Hypothetically, can one not in the US enter, but choose someone else on DDO to send it to if they win?

You mean like me send it to them, and they send it to you? Yeah, that will work. As long as I send it to a U.S. address, that's all that matters to me. I just don't want to hassle with international shipping because of the problems I've had with it in the past.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:50:36 PM
At 6/9/2015 7:49:43 PM, philochristos wrote:

You mean like me send it to them, and they send it to you? Yeah, that will work. As long as I send it to a U.S. address, that's all that matters to me. I just don't want to hassle with international shipping because of the problems I've had with it in the past.

Or I could just let them keep it...

Cool :-)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:51:27 PM
At 6/9/2015 7:45:47 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

BTW, I didn't know that. I knew you made bows, but not knives. I'll definitely keep that in mind, as my dad is an avid knife and sword collector.
I'd love to see some of your previous work.

There's a bunch of my knives on my photobucket account: http://s31.photobucket.com...

I'll bet your dad could come up with a good design.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:52:17 PM
At 6/9/2015 7:50:36 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 6/9/2015 7:49:43 PM, philochristos wrote:

Or I could just let them keep it...

Cool :-)

Yup. That'll work, too. I'll send the knife to whatever name and address the winner chooses, whether it be them or somebody else.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2015 7:53:26 PM

But I'm having a creative slump and don't really feel like making more copies of a bunch of knives I've already made. So I thought it might be fun to have a knife-design competition.

What I want each of you to do is to design a knife. Just draw the profile on a piece of paper or computer or whatever. It just needs to show the shape of the knife, but you can also include the grind lines, the handle, and where the pins go if you want. Post that picture on line somewhere and provide a link to it in this thread.

The knife is going to be anywhere from 6 to 9 inches over all length. Keep that in mind when you design the handle.

I will choose the winner based entirely on my subjective preference of which knife I want to make. Then I'll make the knife along with a sheath and send it to the winner free of charge.

Since I'm going to send the knife (and a sheath) to the winner, I have to limit who can enter this competition. It must be somebody who has an American address. The reason is because international shipping is always either crazy expensive, or there are countries that won't allow you to ship a knife there at all. And it's always a hassle to send something to another country. So, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to limit the entries to people in the US.

The deadline for submissions is this Friday. One submission per person.

Design away!

http://www.debate.org...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2015 10:42:58 AM
It was brought to my attention that given the enormous number of teenagers on this web page that this competition might not be such a good idea. I could get in trouble sending knives to youngsters. It doesn't look like there's much interest anyway, so I'm canceling the competition. Sorry to the two of you who showed a little interest.

ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 8:49:19 PM
At 6/10/2015 10:42:58 AM, philochristos wrote:
It was brought to my attention that given the enormous number of teenagers on this web page that this competition might not be such a good idea. I could get in trouble sending knives to youngsters. It doesn't look like there's much interest anyway, so I'm canceling the competition. Sorry to the two of you who showed a little interest.

Ah no problem! Haha. I still love drawing though, so I'll send you what I did so far tomorrow. :-)
Solonkr~

Ken~

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2015 9:04:58 PM
At 6/11/2015 8:49:19 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:
At 6/10/2015 10:42:58 AM, philochristos wrote:

Ah no problem! Haha. I still love drawing though, so I'll send you what I did so far tomorrow. :-)

Cool. Thanks.