Jump to topic:

Television in Prison

awesomeAlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 8:08:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
The first time I heard prisons have televisions I was shocked as to why they were given this luxury. It appears that prisons have become safer for many of the individuals then their life outside the prison. Not only are prisons safer, but they give these convicted felons luxuries they would not otherwise have. One particular luxury they have is the television. These men are convicted felons and should not be given the comfort of a television. With the knowledge that of them having televisions, I would like to know what the prisons allow to be shown on the televisions. I believe they should be used purely for educational purposes. The library is another comfort that should be used purely for educational purposes.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:17:55 AM
Yes, we should instead throw them in an iron hell where they're given no comforts and are raped daily by the other inmates. Because that kind of environment clearly produces kind upstanding citizens when they're released back into society.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:43:18 AM
At 8/14/2010 10:17:55 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Yes, we should instead throw them in an iron hell where they're given no comforts and are raped daily by the other inmates. Because that kind of environment clearly produces kind upstanding citizens when they're released back into society.

Deterrence, dude.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:35:33 AM
At 8/14/2010 10:17:55 AM, Kinesis wrote:

Rehabilitation is only possible through punishment.

I know an armed robber whose punishment was to laze around smoking pot.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:41:10 AM
Personally I think prison should be half-punishment, half-rehabilitation. The punishment shouldn't be solitude. I favour hard labour and anything which can make money to pay for the prisoners. I think the rehabilitation should focus on making them not re-commit a crime.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:48:00 AM
At 8/14/2010 11:41:10 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Personally I think prison should be half-punishment, half-rehabilitation. The punishment shouldn't be solitude. I favour hard labour and anything which can make money to pay for the prisoners. I think the rehabilitation should focus on making them not re-commit a crime.

I do agree with you on the hard labour aspect, but I feel there needs to be much more punishment than rehabilitation. It should be all about deterrence. If the punishments are so terrible, so brutal then not many people would even consider committing a crime in the first place.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:48:41 AM
At 8/14/2010 11:48:00 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I do agree with you on the hard labour aspect, but I feel there needs to be much more punishment than rehabilitation. It should be all about deterrence. If the punishments are so terrible, so brutal then not many people would even consider committing a crime in the first place.

or want to return.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:51:25 AM
At 8/14/2010 11:48:41 AM, innomen wrote:

or want to return.

Exactly. Make harsh punishments and there won't be very many repeat offenders. Not that I support Shari'a Law or anything(at least not its whole), but many middle eastern countries have some of the lowest crime rates in the world.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:57:24 AM

If they aren't rehabilitated, like a rapist, they won't ever be cured, par se. We need to let them be able to come back into society, not beat them until they won't go back.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 11:59:58 AM
At 8/14/2010 11:57:24 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If they aren't rehabilitated, like a rapist, they won't ever be cured, par se. We need to let them be able to come back into society, not beat them until they won't go back.

If they're subject to harsh punishment they won't be committing the crime again. We're too soft on criminals in the west, thus we have high crime rates.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 12:15:44 PM
At 8/14/2010 11:59:58 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 8/14/2010 11:57:24 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

If they're subject to harsh punishment they won't be committing the crime again. We're too soft on criminals in the west, thus we have high crime rates.

We have high crime rates for other reasons too, such as persecuting victimless crimes which artificially raises the number of criminals. Just an example: http://iloveweed.net...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 12:19:31 PM
At 8/14/2010 12:15:44 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

We have high crime rates for other reasons too, such as persecuting victimless crimes which artificially raises the number of criminals. Just an example: http://iloveweed.net...

Weed is the one drug I feel should be legalized. If alcohol is legal then I see no reason why weed can't be.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 12:21:50 PM
At 8/14/2010 12:19:31 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Weed is the one drug I feel should be legalized. If alcohol is legal then I see no reason why weed can't be.

High-5 for not being an idiot like Mirza.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 12:22:57 PM
At 8/14/2010 12:21:50 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 8/14/2010 12:19:31 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

High-5 for not being an idiot like Mirza.

*high fives*
whatledge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 1:57:14 PM
At 8/14/2010 8:08:49 AM, awesomeAlan wrote:
The first time I heard prisons have televisions I was shocked as to why they were given this luxury. It appears that prisons have become safer for many of the individuals then their life outside the prison. Not only are prisons safer, but they give these convicted felons luxuries they would not otherwise have. One particular luxury they have is the television. These men are convicted felons and should not be given the comfort of a television. With the knowledge that of them having televisions, I would like to know what the prisons allow to be shown on the televisions. I believe they should be used purely for educational purposes. The library is another comfort that should be used purely for educational purposes.

http://www.debate.org...

"What you seem to be advocating is that prisoner's regardless of their crime (since you did not specify) should be treated with as little humanity as possible. However, studies show that prisoner's have a higher chance of rehabilitation if they are treated with a little respect. By trying to eradicate the feeling of hatred, people tend to be more co-operative, making managing the Prison easier. That is why prisoner's have some luxuries like a gym and television, because an active mind a healthy mind. For instance, have you ever realised that kid's tend to cause more trouble when they are bored? Growing up in the Northern Ireland I found that when someone is bored, it lead's to anti-social disorder pretty quickly.

In response to your question, yes, I will concede that money would be better spent on the innocent and deprived, in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world, far from it. There will alway's be crime, and therefore there will alway's be prison's."

Direct Quote from vivalayeo in our debate. I do see his point, right now I'm ambivalent on whether or not they should have them.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 2:03:40 PM
Let them watch a bit of telly, what's the big deal?

The most important thing with violent criminals is that they are off the streets. However comfortable or uncomfortable a particular prison may be, the real punishment comes from the actual fact of being locked up and kept away from family, loved ones etc.

We punish prisoners by taking away their liberty, I would have thought that all you freedom loving Americans would see this as pretty severe.

Not everyone in prison is a totally evil scumbag. There's every chance that one of you reading this could find themselves imprisoned one day and you may find your attitude changes.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 2:08:41 PM
I think the TV should stay so they know what is going on in the world since most are going back.
I think the ones on death row should have medical testing done on them, if they feel like making their death a little more useful at least :) Well I think everyone should be able to request it but the ones on death row or sentenced to life are actually asked.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 2:09:39 PM
At 8/14/2010 2:03:40 PM, feverish wrote:
Let them watch a bit of telly, what's the big deal?

The most important thing with violent criminals is that they are off the streets. However comfortable or uncomfortable a particular prison may be, the real punishment comes from the actual fact of being locked up and kept away from family, loved ones etc.

We punish prisoners by taking away their liberty, I would have thought that all you freedom loving Americans would see this as pretty severe.

Not everyone in prison is a totally evil scumbag. There's every chance that one of you reading this could find themselves imprisoned one day and you may find your attitude changes.

+1.
awesomeAlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 6:19:03 PM
At 8/14/2010 1:57:14 PM, whatledge wrote:
At 8/14/2010 8:08:49 AM, awesomeAlan wrote:

http://www.debate.org...

"What you seem to be advocating is that prisoner's regardless of their crime (since you did not specify) should be treated with as little humanity as possible. However, studies show that prisoner's have a higher chance of rehabilitation if they are treated with a little respect. By trying to eradicate the feeling of hatred, people tend to be more co-operative, making managing the Prison easier. That is why prisoner's have some luxuries like a gym and television, because an active mind a healthy mind. For instance, have you ever realised that kid's tend to cause more trouble when they are bored? Growing up in the Northern Ireland I found that when someone is bored, it lead's to anti-social disorder pretty quickly.

In response to your question, yes, I will concede that money would be better spent on the innocent and deprived, in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world, far from it. There will alway's be crime, and therefore there will alway's be prison's."

Direct Quote from vivalayeo in our debate. I do see his point, right now I'm ambivalent on whether or not they should have them.

I had actually read your debate, which made me decide to post this. I think punishment should be harder on the convicted felons that are sent to prisons. They committed the crime and should face a punishment they wouldn't want to encounter again. I understand that when people are bored they can get wreckless and the healthy mind thing I understand. A television, as I stated should be solely used as an educational soucre or to watch the news at a set time everyday. There are also libraries that the prisons are able to use which are good rehabilitators. I believe in rehabilitation but harsh punishment for repeat offenders of malicious crimes, such as, rape, murder, robbery, etc., should be put into place. I believe that its is completely fair to take away the liberty, freedom, or people convicted of crimes. There is no reason anyone should break any laws. Unless you can tell me an unjust law then there is no reason any laws should be broken that would send you to a prison.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 7:18:00 PM
At 8/14/2010 6:19:03 PM, awesomeAlan wrote:
One particular luxury they have is the television.

I think punishment should be harder on the convicted felons that are sent to prisons. They committed the crime and should face a punishment they wouldn't want to encounter again.

The clear solution is a 24hr broadcast of Judge Judy.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 7:29:19 PM
I don't believe in punishment.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 7:32:43 PM
At 8/14/2010 7:29:19 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Do you believe in standing idly as a man rapes your neighbor's wife?
MTGandP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 7:34:18 PM

Evidence that deterrence works:

. . .

. . .

. . .
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 9:08:59 PM
At 8/14/2010 7:32:43 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 8/14/2010 7:29:19 PM, Reasoning wrote:

Do you believe in standing idly as a man rapes your neighbor's wife?

Much better to video it and post it on YouTube! (joking)
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 9:09:58 PM
At 8/14/2010 11:46:00 AM, Koopin wrote:
My uncle would commit a crime just to stay off the streets, and sometimes to get dental work done.

This is the best argument I have heard for an integrated welfare state that I have heard for a long time!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:12:54 PM
At 8/14/2010 7:34:18 PM, MTGandP wrote:

Evidence that deterrence works:

. . .

. . .

. . .

Evidence: Asian and Middle Eastern countries. Enough said.
thisoneguy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2010 10:48:26 PM
I think telly is a great punishment for them,
I know how I would feel being forced to watch the rubbish that they try brain washing people with,
Not surprised they're in jail, they're obviously a product of a society under the influence of what they witness on the TV,

Is there anyone in jail for a crime that the TV has never covered ?, I don't think so.
so providing a TV is in a way really providing job security for the guards and officers who control when it can and cannot be watched.

At the same time it's keeping police in a Job, whilst justifying the installment of millions of street CCTV systems that monitor people picking their nose, but when so called bombers attack the underground they happen to be switched off allowing for even more justification to pass more controlling laws onto the law abiding citizen, (detained for a month without having to provide a reason)

Poor prisoners, if I was one I'd start a rooftop protest to get them turned off !