Jump to topic:

Does anyone know how to write a poem?

ClashnBoom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2015 10:29:26 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
I wanted to try writing a long poem that'll make people feel sad when they read it. I wanted to use rhyme but that'll make it seem childish so which device do you recommend using? I've never written a poem before so I'm a total noob.I didn't know which forum to put this in.
I will change my sig weekly. Week 4.

Fun fact of the week
Clumsy alien Jar Jar Binks was introduced in The Phantom Menace for comic relief, but he was initially a two-faced mercenary who was to betray Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Master played by Liam Neeson.

Joke of the week:
Nerd 1: "Why can't you trust atoms?"
Nerd 2: : "Cause they make everything up!"
belladb8s
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2015 11:00:29 PM
I love writing poetry...I write all the time. But if I am stuck, I will simply use the general rhythm and rhyme scheme of one of my favorite poems. Often with that technique, I will end up making it more my own, but it is a good place to start.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 7:50:47 PM
I think you kind of put words together that rime and try to convey some sort of thought to the reader or listener.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Conservative12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2015 11:34:59 PM
Here before you write a poem you should probably know the types my personal favourite is the sonnet

here is an example tell me what you think:

The final stroke in the terminal note
Will be the ending to a fatal tune
Which has been wrote upon our dying throat
In the bright white night on the final noon

Some will choose to fight with all their might
But they will find defeat, they always do
For nothing human can stop ice white fright
And the piercing pain that is all too true

This will start the plight that will raise the knight
Who"s said to shred the thread that weaves your head
For fright will rule the night and beat the fight
The sands will darken red and mark the dead

But through the gore stained dust a hand will rise
For Lazarus will dawn his blood red eyes

I have more examples and I can tell you how to write a sonnet if you want to write a sonnet
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2015 10:43:05 PM
At 6/25/2015 10:29:26 AM, ClashnBoom wrote:
I wanted to try writing a long poem that'll make people feel sad when they read it. I wanted to use rhyme but that'll make it seem childish so which device do you recommend using? I've never written a poem before so I'm a total noob.I didn't know which forum to put this in.

Rhyme isn't childish... most poems are supposed to rhyme. Master poets, from the East or the West, rhyme their poems. Honestly, non-rhyming poems are childish IMO. My piano teacher's five-year-old is writing haikus.

Since this is your first poem, I would suggest not conforming to less free styles like the sonnet yet. Just write anything, in any rhyming pattern. Since you're starting out, you could put aside meter for a moment and just focus on the rhymes. Get a good rhyming dictionary too.

I also suggest you start out with shorter poems, and recite at least ten before starting off to write your own. It would be preferable to recite a bunch of poems of the same form and period to better assimilate their techniques used. I'm in the process of doing this myself, and I'm concentrating on the Song Dynasty ci form, one of the most important forms of Chinese poetry. In fact, I've written a ci already (see here: https://bookwormannals.wordpress.com...) using the ci form and I was quite excited about it!

And good luck! :) It's great to see fellow future poets on DDO.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...