Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Wikipedia is Reliable/Useful Source

Prox
Posts: 128
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:42:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Thoughts? When I was taking Public Speaking last year and we were doing Controversial Issues, my teacher would not allow me to Pro that.
BellumQuodPacis
Posts: 1,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:47:50 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think it is. The content in itself cannot be cited as reliable as it is a public editing site, however, toward the bottom of every page is always the source list used to obtain all the information. Also after almost every statement on wikipedia pages is a small number that is clickable. Click on it and it brings you to a useful source that you can cite. Its really an amazing source for debate as well. Again, dont cite the content, cite the sources it uses.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:47:58 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I would say it is useful but not reliable. For school-related things, Wikipedia is a great place to start to get general information, but it is not peer-reviewed. If you want to check the validity of the information on the page, check out the sources at the bottom.
BellumQuodPacis
Posts: 1,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:48:24 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:47:58 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I would say it is useful but not reliable. For school-related things, Wikipedia is a great place to start to get general information, but it is not peer-reviewed. If you want to check the validity of the information on the page, check out the sources at the bottom.

Beat ya.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:48:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:47:50 AM, BellumQuodPacis wrote:
I think it is. The content in itself cannot be cited as reliable as it is a public editing site, however, toward the bottom of every page is always the source list used to obtain all the information. Also after almost every statement on wikipedia pages is a small number that is clickable. Click on it and it brings you to a useful source that you can cite. Its really an amazing source for debate as well. Again, dont cite the content, cite the sources it uses.

You beat me to it :p
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:48:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:48:24 AM, BellumQuodPacis wrote:
At 8/16/2010 8:47:58 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I would say it is useful but not reliable. For school-related things, Wikipedia is a great place to start to get general information, but it is not peer-reviewed. If you want to check the validity of the information on the page, check out the sources at the bottom.

Beat ya.

Gah, stop doing that! lmao
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:49:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
And BQP wins again.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:52:07 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:48:48 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 8/16/2010 8:48:24 AM, BellumQuodPacis wrote:
At 8/16/2010 8:47:58 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
I would say it is useful but not reliable. For school-related things, Wikipedia is a great place to start to get general information, but it is not peer-reviewed. If you want to check the validity of the information on the page, check out the sources at the bottom.

Beat ya.

Gah, stop doing that! lmao

He reads your mind.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
BellumQuodPacis
Posts: 1,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:57:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:55:25 AM, Prox wrote:
How about this:

Wikipedia is equally accurate and reliable as Encyclopedia Britannica.

Wikipedia is better. Encyclopedia Britannica doesnt update as frequently as wikipedia does, therefore, outdated source use is found to be more frequent with EB
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:59:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:55:25 AM, Prox wrote:
How about this:

Wikipedia is equally accurate and reliable as Encyclopedia Britannica.

There was a study that found them equal.

I learned this from Wikipedia.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
BellumQuodPacis
Posts: 1,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 8:59:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:59:09 AM, mongoose wrote:
At 8/16/2010 8:55:25 AM, Prox wrote:
How about this:

Wikipedia is equally accurate and reliable as Encyclopedia Britannica.

There was a study that found them equal.

I learned this from Wikipedia.

HAHA Nice.
BellumQuodPacis
Posts: 1,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 9:03:43 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Either start a new debate and leave it open for takers, or click debates at the top and look for open challenges you wish to take. Good luck mate!
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 9:16:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's useful. Lots of pages have dozens of sources. It's stupid schools don't let students use it.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 10:14:48 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 9:00:29 AM, Prox wrote:
Ok, whatever.

How does one get around to becoming part of a debate around here?

1) Find someone you want to debate on a certain topic one of you challenge the other
2) You post an open debate for everybody to accept or only people that meet certain requirements
3) you look around for an interesting debate and click the "accept" button
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 1:21:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I don't usually have a problem with Wikipedia as they generally confirm everything before allowing it to go up. My friend doesn't trust wikipedia though.
MTGandP
Posts: 702
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 1:21:41 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 8:55:25 AM, Prox wrote:
How about this:

Wikipedia is equally accurate and reliable as Encyclopedia Britannica.

Wikipedia is marginally less accurate (http://news.cnet.com...), but far has far more breadth and depth and updates much more frequently. There are things you can do to counteract the inaccuracies of Wikipedia: read the sources, and don't accept as gospel anything that's labeled "citation needed" or doesn't have a citation.

And yes, there is a Wikipedia page on the factual accuracy of Wikipedia.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 1:23:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 1:21:41 PM, MTGandP wrote:
And yes, there is a Wikipedia page on the factual accuracy of Wikipedia.

Reeks of conflict of interest.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Anarcho
Posts: 887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 1:23:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 8/16/2010 1:21:19 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I don't usually have a problem with Wikipedia as they generally confirm everything before allowing it to go up. My friend doesn't trust wikipedia though.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
Yvette
Posts: 859
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2010 1:52:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Best used either to introduce someone to a broad topic, to to take advantage of their lists. Wikipedia has some great lists. So long as the list is sourced, I'd say it's fine.
In the middle of moving to Washington. 8D

"If God does not exist, then chocolate causing cancer is only true for the society that has evidence for that." --GodSands
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2010 7:49:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have found inaccuracies in biographies, I was looking into Benedict Arnold, and it was far from complete or had any marginal depth into the truth, but rather reflected the popular opinion. I looked into some demographic information of certain countries, and there was obvious tampering. There are also accusations that it has a political slant to it as well.