Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

OK then lets define it.

sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 4:22:13 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
What is the definition of a war hero? Is every POW ever captured a war hero? If not, what makes one POW a hero and the other not. In my opinion, unless you have a Congressional Medal of Honor hanging around your neck you are not a war hero. If everyone is a hero then there are no hero's. In my opinion John McCain served with honor but is not a war hero by definition. This is a person who I consider a war hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org...
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MakeSensePeopleDont
Posts: 1,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 6:17:24 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 4:22:13 PM, sadolite wrote:

: What is the definition of a war hero?

A war hero is any man or women brave enough to shoulder a firearm and willingly walk into a combat zone. If you are unlucky enough (or lucky enough depending on your views) to have to look into another man's eyes as you take his life, the distinction of "War Hero" holds no water, it is beneath you; there is NO distinction, word or phrase out there to describe the level of hero you are. Although I highly respect and even thank every military man I am privaleged enough to come in contact with, War Hero to me are those on the front lines, not the guys sitting on a ship flipping switches somewhere safe...sorry guys.

Is every POW ever captured a war hero? If not, what makes one POW a hero and the other not.

Every POW is a War Hero, except for that Bergdahl clown. He is just a traitor that didn't get welcomed in by ISIS the way he expected.

In my opinion, unless you have a Congressional Medal of Honor hanging around your neck you are not a war hero.

What about all those soldiers that should have one the Medal of Honor but their actions went unverified, unseen, or even were ignored because of their skin color (I can give examples if needed)?

If everyone is a hero then there are no hero's.

If everyone is a hero, then we are truly the luckiest nation on the planet. Do not downplay the value of each person's presence singularly on the basis of your idea of a hero being a singular presence.

In my opinion John McCain served with honor but is not a war hero by definition.

Mr. John McCain IS a War Hero. He was a prisoner of war for 5 years. Could you imagine being beaten, tortured, starved, dehydrated, kept awake for weeks, forced into slave labor, raped, etc. for 5 years non-stop with no idea when or even IF you will ever get home, no idea if today will be the day you die? Do you understand what that does to a man's head? It is truly a miracle that he came home as sane as he did and without having to be moved immediately to a mental ward.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 6:24:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 6:17:24 PM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:
At 7/20/2015 4:22:13 PM, sadolite wrote:

: What is the definition of a war hero?

A war hero is any man or women brave enough to shoulder a firearm and willingly walk into a combat zone. If you are unlucky enough (or lucky enough depending on your views) to have to look into another man's eyes as you take his life, the distinction of "War Hero" holds no water, it is beneath you; there is NO distinction, word or phrase out there to describe the level of hero you are. Although I highly respect and even thank every military man I am privaleged enough to come in contact with, War Hero to me are those on the front lines, not the guys sitting on a ship flipping switches somewhere safe...sorry guys.


Is every POW ever captured a war hero? If not, what makes one POW a hero and the other not.

Every POW is a War Hero, except for that Bergdahl clown. He is just a traitor that didn't get welcomed in by ISIS the way he expected.


In my opinion, unless you have a Congressional Medal of Honor hanging around your neck you are not a war hero.

What about all those soldiers that should have one the Medal of Honor but their actions went unverified, unseen, or even were ignored because of their skin color (I can give examples if needed)?


If everyone is a hero then there are no hero's.

If everyone is a hero, then we are truly the luckiest nation on the planet. Do not downplay the value of each person's presence singularly on the basis of your idea of a hero being a singular presence.

In my opinion John McCain served with honor but is not a war hero by definition.

Mr. John McCain IS a War Hero. He was a prisoner of war for 5 years. Could you imagine being beaten, tortured, starved, dehydrated, kept awake for weeks, forced into slave labor, raped, etc. for 5 years non-stop with no idea when or even IF you will ever get home, no idea if today will be the day you die? Do you understand what that does to a man's head? It is truly a miracle that he came home as sane as he did and without having to be moved immediately to a mental ward.

"A war hero is any man or women brave enough to shoulder a firearm and willingly walk into a combat zone." Then essentially there is no such thing as a war hero. Millions have strapped on fire arms in anticipation of battle but never saw any, hardly makes them war hero's. What about all the people who don't have Congressional Medal of Honors? Your assumption they deserve them is pure speculation based on no evidence. Being tortured? Um millions are tortured every year Don't hear any hero status being given to them. Most are considered statistics.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MakeSensePeopleDont
Posts: 1,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 6:44:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 6:24:02 PM, sadolite wrote:

"A war hero is any man or women brave enough to shoulder a firearm and willingly walk into a combat zone."

Then essentially there is no such thing as a war hero. Millions have strapped on fire arms in anticipation of battle but never saw any, hardly makes them war hero's.

I respect your thought process here but allow me to pose a question to you in return. Since you state that not everyone can be a war hero, even the men and women willingly stepping into a war zone can't ALL be war heroes; in your mind, what is the quantitative limit?

What about all the people who don't have Congressional Medal of Honors? Your assumption they deserve them is pure speculation based on no evidence.

Well, here are 24 late recipients:

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

And here are two more from WWI era:

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

Were these men not heroes for the past 60-100 years since they weren't awarded the Medal of Honor until recently? Or are they now retroactively War Heroes after literally an entire lifetime of being told by guys like you that they weren't War Heroes? (don't take offense here, I assure you that line is strictly for context and not to bash you)

Being tortured? Um millions are tortured every year Don't hear any hero status being given to them. Most are considered statistics.


There are people out there that regard them as heroes. Maybe it was the guy in the cell next to him that he kept calm by singing to him every night, maybe it was the work camp group he is in that he energized every day and kept their spirits high so they could all live just one more day, maybe his neighbor back home that he sacrificed himself to slavery in order to keep that neighbor hidden. There is always someone out there that sees them as a hero.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 6:52:02 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 6:44:36 PM, MakeSensePeopleDont wrote:
At 7/20/2015 6:24:02 PM, sadolite wrote:

"A war hero is any man or women brave enough to shoulder a firearm and willingly walk into a combat zone."

Then essentially there is no such thing as a war hero. Millions have strapped on fire arms in anticipation of battle but never saw any, hardly makes them war hero's.

I respect your thought process here but allow me to pose a question to you in return. Since you state that not everyone can be a war hero, even the men and women willingly stepping into a war zone can't ALL be war heroes; in your mind, what is the quantitative limit?


What about all the people who don't have Congressional Medal of Honors? Your assumption they deserve them is pure speculation based on no evidence.

Well, here are 24 late recipients:

http://www.washingtonpost.com...

And here are two more from WWI era:

http://www.washingtontimes.com...

Were these men not heroes for the past 60-100 years since they weren't awarded the Medal of Honor until recently? Or are they now retroactively War Heroes after literally an entire lifetime of being told by guys like you that they weren't War Heroes? (don't take offense here, I assure you that line is strictly for context and not to bash you)

Being tortured? Um millions are tortured every year Don't hear any hero status being given to them. Most are considered statistics.


There are people out there that regard them as heroes. Maybe it was the guy in the cell next to him that he kept calm by singing to him every night, maybe it was the work camp group he is in that he energized every day and kept their spirits high so they could all live just one more day, maybe his neighbor back home that he sacrificed himself to slavery in order to keep that neighbor hidden. There is always someone out there that sees them as a hero.

You clearly view this from purely and emotional state. Your like the give a trophy to everyone who participates but did nothing to help in the victory or accomplishment. To be a war hero at minimum one must A) Actually see combat and be shot at. B) Shoot back and kill the enemy. C) Risk life and limb while under fire and going way above and beyond what most men would not do because they don't have the courage to do it like fight in out numbered scenarios and not run away and be victorious.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
MakeSensePeopleDont
Posts: 1,106
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 7:27:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 6:52:02 PM, sadolite wrote:

You clearly view this from purely and emotional state. Your like the give a trophy to everyone who participates but did nothing to help in the victory or accomplishment.

No, I am the man that respects our armed forces, specifically the ones in war zones because I understand what the do and what they go through every single day for 18 month tours. Furthermore, I HATE participation trophies, I HATE coddling, I HATE the cruise control people and the lazies, obese, the worthless, etc. But I'll tell you this much, if you're man enough and driven enough to stand up and give life everything you have every single day no matter how many times it knocks you on your backside, if you're scared or hurt but you keep going without pause; maybe you don't get that trophy, but you have my respect and I will be there for you anytime you need. Why? because you may not have the physical stature or the pure talent to come out victorious, but I can ALWAYS trust that you will never give up. And having a new friendship based on trust and respect like that is much more important and much more valuable than some cheap plastic trophy that steroid pumping man-child over there is leaving with.

To be a war hero at minimum one must A) Actually see combat and be shot at. B) Shoot back and kill the enemy. C) Risk life and limb while under fire and going way above and beyond what most men would not do because they don't have the courage to do it like fight in out numbered scenarios and not run away and be victorious.

I respect your opinion here but I don't agree with, and honestly never will. When signing your recruitment papers and selecting MOS, there isn't a single person there that knows what they will come up against. All those grunts walking alongside the tank column into the war zone have the same idea; they are going to war for their nation, to protect our freedoms and rights, to protect the constitution, to make their family proud, but most of all....to fight til their last breath if needed to protect the men to their 3 & 9. Whether they are put in that position or not is not their call, but they ALL go in thinking that. The only thing that changes is where they end up being split to and which ones end up being the unlucky ones getting attacked.

Also, what about that medic running around pathcing everyone up on the front line while RPGs, AK rounds, grenades, etc. are flying all over, while that rolling car bomb is making it's way up while that medic tries desperately to clear his injured brothers from the street to safety. His job is NOT to shoot but to save. So can he never be a War Hero?
SamStevens
Posts: 3,819
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2015 7:33:27 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/20/2015 4:22:13 PM, sadolite wrote:
What is the definition of a war hero? Is every POW ever captured a war hero? If not, what makes one POW a hero and the other not. In my opinion, unless you have a Congressional Medal of Honor hanging around your neck you are not a war hero. If everyone is a hero then there are no hero's. In my opinion John McCain served with honor but is not a war hero by definition. This is a person who I consider a war hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org...

This individual also would qualify as a war hero:

"As Cher Ami tried to fly back home, the Germans saw her rising out of the brush and opened fire. For several moments, Cher Ami flew with bullets zipping through the air all around her.[3] Cher Ami was eventually shot down but managed to take flight again. She arrived back at her loft at division headquarters 25 miles to the rear in just 25 minutes, helping to save the lives of the 194 survivors. In this last mission, Cher Ami delivered the message despite having been shot through the breast, blinded in one eye, covered in blood and with a leg hanging only by a tendon."
https://en.wikipedia.org...
"This is the true horror of religion. It allows perfectly decent and sane people to believe by the billions, what only lunatics could believe on their own." Sam Harris
Life asked Death "Why do people love me but hate you?"
Death responded: "Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am the painful truth."
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 3:10:14 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
You know, it's really disrespectful to the people who have jumped on grenades to save dozens of lives, to call people a hero, merely for failing their mission and becoming POWs. It takes more than just signing up for the military or failing at something to be a hero.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2015 4:04:49 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/21/2015 3:10:14 PM, Wylted wrote:
You know, it's really disrespectful to the people who have jumped on grenades to save dozens of lives, to call people a hero, merely for failing their mission and becoming POWs. It takes more than just signing up for the military or failing at something to be a hero.

You said it brother. You don't get awards for showing up like little kids do on the soccer field. Unless you have a Congressional Medal of Honor around your neck you are not a war hero. That is what the Congressional Medal of Honor is for, to designate war heroes and they don't just give them to anyone. That isn't to say people didn't serve honorably and make sacrifices. But not all sacrifices constitute war hero status. One of them being captured and tortured. This happens everyday around the world hundreds of time a day. No hero status given to the unknown but only a statistic.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%