Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Has America Become a country indifferent.

Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 4:26:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Has America Become a country of citizens indifferent to one another.
From watching how people react to one another that they encounter in their daily lives while driving or walking I have seen plenty of evidence that Americans are totally indifferent to other human beings that they meet. I'm not sure why this is, whether its modern thought that its a sign of sophistication and worldliness to just ignore others or whether people today are concerned for their safety if they try to engage with others.
Perhaps people today feel that if they attempt to be friendly that it might be taken as an invasion of the other parties privacy and so they move on without even acknowledging those they meet, not even bothering to say hello, as they pass by. Maybe people who ignore others they pass by had once attempted to acknowledge others that they met and were offended by the other persons coldness and aloofness to their greetings and so don't attempt to be friendly with others anymore in fear of being rejected and feeling insulted once again as they did before.
But maybe the problem , why people aren't friendly with one another as they once were is because as this quote suggests that the civilizing forces in America aren't filling their rolls as they once did This Quote gives one explanation why people act with indifference and coldness towards others today, "Every generation constitutes a wave of savages who must be civilized by their families, schools, and Churches...." From what I see, these institutions have let America down and aren't doing their assigned obligations and proper rolls in society any longer as they once did..
Quote from book by Robert H. Bork," Slouching Towards Gomorrah"....
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2015 6:41:23 PM
At 7/31/2015 4:26:30 PM, Lookingatissues wrote:
Has America Become a country of citizens indifferent to one another.
From watching how people react to one another that they encounter in their daily lives while driving or walking I have seen plenty of evidence that Americans are totally indifferent to other human beings that they meet. I'm not sure why this is, whether its modern thought that its a sign of sophistication and worldliness to just ignore others or whether people today are concerned for their safety if they try to engage with others.
Perhaps people today feel that if they attempt to be friendly that it might be taken as an invasion of the other parties privacy and so they move on without even acknowledging those they meet, not even bothering to say hello, as they pass by. Maybe people who ignore others they pass by had once attempted to acknowledge others that they met and were offended by the other persons coldness and aloofness to their greetings and so don't attempt to be friendly with others anymore in fear of being rejected and feeling insulted once again as they did before.
But maybe the problem , why people aren't friendly with one another as they once were is because as this quote suggests that the civilizing forces in America aren't filling their rolls as they once did This Quote gives one explanation why people act with indifference and coldness towards others today, "Every generation constitutes a wave of savages who must be civilized by their families, schools, and Churches...." From what I see, these institutions have let America down and aren't doing their assigned obligations and proper rolls in society any longer as they once did..
Quote from book by Robert H. Bork," Slouching Towards Gomorrah"....

There are various reasons for this.

First of all, in days past a town had 50 or so people in it. You generally knew everyone in town, at least a tiny bit. Today, there are hundred/thousands of people living even in small towns. You don't know those random strangers. Family and friends are different.

Second, the crime rate has risen, and the media tells the public stories of serial killers, rapists, kidnappers, pedophiles, gangsters, drug addicts, illegal immigrants, unstable combat veterans who could snap at any moment, etc. Suffice to say, people feel uneasy around strangers.

Third, even in regards to their families people are a lot more isolated and withdrawn these days. The hikikomori problem that plagues Japan is also a reality in the United States, though perhaps to a slightly lesser degree.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 1:19:50 AM
Reply by Lookimgattheissues to Emoticon on Debate.org July 31St.2015
There is no doubt that what you mentioned in your reply is a large part of what had brought about a change in America's citizens attitudes towards each other however, there is a natural affinity a bond between one human being to others and if there is a indifferent, yes even a hostile indifference to their fellow man we need to look at the influencing factors in the citizens lives which they are exposed to in their development to maturity. What are these various influences that play important learning factors in how America's citizens evolve and develop into mature adults. First of all there is the influences that effect how a very young child preceives those around them as well as how he is taught to react to others around him. One of the most enduring influences on a child is the repetitive messeges that a child receives in public educational institutions in America from a very early age until they reach maturity, that everything is relative, no right or a wrong way of preceiving things.
"....let children's own values emerge as they clarify their personal experiences. The message is that each child has his own reality and must make up his own mind about life-style choices."
Clearly, the popularity of humanistic method among educators has little to do with its objective effectiveness. Which suggests that some motive other than a desire for educational excellence is at work here. That motive is philosophical. Humanistic techniques "fit" a certain philosophy of life to which many educators adhere. Only this explains their continued enthusiasm for a method that is obviously not working."
"To understand what that philosophy is, we must go back to the early part of the twentieth century, to the theorists who set forth the modem philosophy of education: men such as Froebel, Parker, Hall, and especially John Dewey. We will find that these theorists were profoundly influenced by Darwin's theory of evolution. In their work, they were attempting to spell out what a Darwinian view of human nature means for education. They began with a set of assumptions derived from evolution - that all reality is in the process of constant change, humans are no more than animals, there is no transcendent truth - and built a philosophy of education up from these assumption."
Quoted materiL FROM... Creation Moments..... The Evolving Child: John Dewey's Impact on Modern Education, Part 1...Author: Nancy Pearcey
From Slouching towards Gomorrah
The radicals....of the 50s and 60s" were not likely to go into business or the conventional practice of the professions. They were part of the chattering class, talkers interested in policy, politics, and culture. They went into politics, print and electronic journalism, church bureaucracies, foundation staffs, Hollywood careers, public interest organizations; anywhere attitudes and opinions could be influenced. And they are exerting influence
".... Why has American society changed so much from the morals and attitudes before the 50s and 60s to days society. America's traditional institutions have adopted the liberal, progressive, ideologies in which it is taught that people shouldn't be judgmental of others, there isn't a "right or a Wrong that everything is relative so everyone is left to their own concepts and devises on how to survive, of proper behavior towards others and thus they behave like animals towards their fellow man, alone and independent of the other humans fate, each individual fending for themselves in a uncaring society.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2015 9:07:54 PM
America has become a country of entitlement which manifests indifference.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 12:17:27 AM
At 8/1/2015 9:07:54 PM, sadolite wrote:
"Has America Become a country indifferent." by Lookingattheissues 8-01-2015
REply by Lookingattheissues to "sadolite"
The quote that you entered as a part of your post," Fight me if you wish, but remember "I am old for a reason If you are going to make stuff up about me. at least be more imaginative"
"The free market and capitalism is only for people with a sense of self worth"
"War" is when the Govt tells you who the enemy is "Revolution" is when you figure it out yourself.
If you don't like me but follow everything I post, B#tch you're a fan!
"The mind of a slave asks if it's legal. The mind of a free person asks if it's right"
I believe that you must have intended this reply for someone else as I can't relate the quote to the subject I posted, but the quote is interesting and I copied it.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 1:02:10 AM
At 8/2/2015 12:17:27 AM, Lookingatissues wrote:
The quote that you entered as a part of your post," Fight me if you wish, but remember "I am old for a reason If you are going to make stuff up about me. at least be more imaginative"
"War" is when the Govt tells you who the enemy is "Revolution" is when you figure it out yourself.
"The mind of a slave asks if it's legal. The mind of a free person asks if it's right"
I believe that you must have intended this reply for someone else as I can't relate the quote to the subject I posted, but the quote is interesting and I copied it.

Uh the text in blue isn't part of my response. That is what I think they call your signature.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 2:34:40 AM
At 8/2/2015 1:02:10 AM, sadolite wrote:

Uh the text in blue isn't part of my response. That is what I think they call your signature.
Reply by Lookingattheissues,"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

Lewis Carroll
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 11:51:53 AM
At 8/2/2015 2:34:40 AM, Lookingatissues wrote:

Reply by Lookingattheissues,"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.

Lewis Carroll

Um, do you know how this site works

Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 2:09:49 PM
At 8/2/2015 11:51:53 AM, sadolite wrote:
At 8/2/2015 2:34:40 AM, Lookingatissues wrote:

Lewis Carroll

You asked,"Um, do you know how this site works...."
Um, I think so!...... But if I'm mistaken and don't comprehend the proper procedure, Please enlighten me and others who might be in the same state of confusion.
Lookingatissues
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2015 2:23:16 PM
" Fight me if you wish, but remember "I am old for a reason If you are going to make stuff up about me. at least be more imaginative"
"The mind of a slave asks if it's legal. The mind of a free person asks if it's right" The Quote That I received was all in "Blue," I have to believe that you posted this Quote as a part of your response to me. But you claimed this was my signature, strange, it doesn't resemble my signature.