Riddle me this, batman!

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:22:11 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A man comes to a fork in the road.
In one direction is the village of lies, where nobody ever tells the truth.
In the other, the village of truth, where nobody ever lies.
There is no sign or anyway to indicate which way to go and the man doesn't have a clue.
Standing in the centre of the fork is a man taking a rest. He has come from one of the villages but it is impossible to discern which from his appearence or accent.

What one question could you ask him that would ensure he pointed you in the direction of the village of truth?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:27:14 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:22:11 PM, tvellalott wrote:
There is no sign or anyway to indicate which way to go and the man doesn't have a clue.
Standing in the centre of the fork is a man taking a rest. He has come from one of the villages but it is impossible to discern which from his appearence or accent.

What one question could you ask him that would ensure he pointed you in the direction of the village of truth?

Ask him what gender he is?

Then ask him which is the village of truth then ask him about God :)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:36:04 PM

Impossible.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:38:19 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:36:04 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Impossible.

Lol.

Ask him what village he's from.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:41:08 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:38:19 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Impossible.

Lol.

He'll say village of truth either way but what path leads you to said village is still unknown.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:42:27 PM

Impossible.

I know.

Ask him if he's alive or something like that.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:43:06 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:41:08 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Impossible.

Lol.

He'll say village of truth either way but what path leads you to said village is still unknown.

Ask him which road leads to his village.

: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:43:12 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:42:27 PM, lovelife wrote:

Impossible.

I know.

er... why?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:43:38 PM

Impossible.

Lol.

Ask him to take you to his village. If he is a liar he will take you to the village where everyone tells the truth, as not doing so would not be lying. If he is a truth teller you will end up in the village were everyone tells the truth.
Super Man does not come close to the power of Jesus Christ - GodSands
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:45:11 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:43:38 PM, PalinFan wrote:

Impossible.

Lol.

Ask him to take you to his village. If he is a liar he will take you to the village where everyone tells the truth, as not doing so would not be lying. If he is a truth teller you will end up in the village were everyone tells the truth.

Ah, but he could just refuse. Since refusing wouldn't be a lie or a truth, a person from either village could do so.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:45:57 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:43:12 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Impossible.

I know.

er... why?

Because everyone knows they are alive, no other truth is as absolute as knowing if oneself is alive.
Thats how you know if he's a liar or not.
PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:49:16 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:45:11 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Impossible.

Lol.

Ah, but he could just refuse. Since refusing wouldn't be a lie or a truth, a person from either village could do so.

You win this thread; I should have been more diligent in reading the question. However I had the correct general idea, so at least it wasn't a complete fail.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:50:02 PM
Ask where his villiage is.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:50:22 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:49:16 PM, PalinFan wrote:
At 8/28/2010 9:45:11 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:

Impossible.

Lol.

You win this thread; I should have been more diligent in reading the question. However I had the correct general idea, so at least it wasn't a complete fail.

Yeah, I didn't read it carefully either. My first response was wrong, because he could just say 'the village of truth.' Got it the 2nd time though.

PalinFan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:50:47 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:45:57 PM, lovelife wrote:

Impossible.

I know.

er... why?

Because everyone knows they are alive, no other truth is as absolute as knowing if oneself is alive.

Your trying to get to the correct village, not figuring out if he is a liar or a truth-teller.
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 9:56:17 PM
Ask which path of the fork leads to his village. Either way, you go to the village of truth; if he's a liar, he'll send you to the truth village (which is not his), and if he's truthful, you are sent to the village of truth.

To prevent his refusal, just use a weapon or other method of physical threat.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
GeorgeCarlinWorshipper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:05:50 PM
Woot woot and hoo-rah.
"We were having a philosophical discussion and I asserted that the only demonstrable reality is individual consciousness, but he insisted on the existence of a priori moral values that transcended free will. So I hit him." - Walon Vau
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:31:39 PM

Impossible.

I know.

er... why?

If he tells lies he will say "no"
If he tells the truth he will say "yes"

What have we learnt to answer the riddle? Nothing, and after seeing that he is clearly alive, there was no point to start with,

Also, "no other truth is as absolute as knowing if oneself is alive" is incorrect, no other truth is as absolute as knowing that one is. Cognito ergo sum; Je suis donc je pense; I know therefore I am. Descartes.

You learn every day. : )
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:34:52 PM
At 8/28/2010 9:56:17 PM, GeorgeCarlinWorshipper wrote:
Ask which path of the fork leads to his village. Either way, you go to the village of truth; if he's a liar, he'll send you to the truth village (which is not his), and if he's truthful, you are sent to the village of truth.

To prevent his refusal, just use a weapon or other method of physical threat.
Nice.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:38:56 PM
Nobody knows the other answer to this riddle?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:43:31 PM
At 8/28/2010 10:38:56 PM, Korashk wrote:

Answer:
'sup DDO -- july 2013
wush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:45:56 PM
ask him if he can take you to his village
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:46:42 PM
At 8/28/2010 10:43:31 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 8/28/2010 10:38:56 PM, Korashk wrote:

Answer:

I realize that's AN answer that works. It isn't the only one that does.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:47:48 PM
Please share your wisdom then K.

Muh threads
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 10:52:06 PM
At 8/28/2010 10:47:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:
Please share your wisdom then K.

Aww nevermind, I misread the riddle. I thought this was the one with two men at the fork (one liar, one truthful) and you can only ask them one question to get to the Village of Truth.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 11:07:57 PM
At 8/28/2010 10:31:39 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Impossible.

I know.

er... why?

If he tells lies he will say "no"
If he tells the truth he will say "yes"

What have we learnt to answer the riddle? Nothing, and after seeing that he is clearly alive, there was no point to start with,

Also, "no other truth is as absolute as knowing if oneself is alive" is incorrect, no other truth is as absolute as knowing that one is. Cognito ergo sum; Je suis donc je pense; I know therefore I am. Descartes.

You learn every day. : )

That's what I based it off of. Obviously he knows if he's alive but cannot know for certain anything else.
After finding if he's a liar or truth teller then you ask where is village is.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 11:09:33 PM
Oh I thought it was a question to determine if he's a liar or not then you could ask. Nvm I guess everyone that answered ask which is the village of truth wins.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2010 11:12:23 PM
At 8/28/2010 11:09:33 PM, lovelife wrote:
Oh I thought it was a question to determine if he's a liar or not then you could ask. Nvm I guess everyone that answered ask which is the village of truth wins.

That isn't the right answer!

Muh threads