Jump to topic:

Noobsnipe has question about debating

ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 8:15:00 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
Is debating confrontational? is that rewarding?

Why does one debate something they themselves do not support?
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:13:25 AM
At 8/9/2015 8:15:00 AM, ironslippers wrote:

I get anxiety from it. I often don't even read my opponent's final round. I also try to avoid reading their first round until it's round 2.

I'll answer your question with a question. Do you think it's rewarding. What type of reward are you looking for?

Sometimes to be able to emphathize with another person's opinion more, sometimes it's easier to defend another person's point of view than your own. Sometimes it's just about the competitive nature of it and your actual position is unimportant.
ironslippers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 9:46:37 AM
At 8/9/2015 9:13:25 AM, Wylted wrote:

I get anxiety from it. I often don't even read my opponent's final round. I also try to avoid reading their first round until it's round 2.

Appreciate the honesty

I'll answer your question with a question. Do you think it's rewarding. What type of reward are you looking for?

I was wondering what other get from it, There a number of those on this site that are very good at debating even when their argument or subject is... lame
somehow I admire that

I'm thinking professional at might behoove me. I tend to cave in when I'm in the wrong and be FU when right without ever communicating my point of view, either way it APPEARS that I have a bad attitude.

Sometimes to be able to emphathize with another person's opinion more, sometimes it's easier to defend another person's point of view than your own. Sometimes it's just about the competitive nature of it and your actual position is unimportant.
Everyone stands on their own dung hill and speaks out about someone else's - Nathan Krusemark
Its easier to criticize and hate than it is to support and create - I Ron Slippers
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2015 1:09:49 PM
At 8/9/2015 9:46:37 AM, ironslippers wrote:
At 8/9/2015 9:13:25 AM, Wylted wrote:

Appreciate the honesty

I was wondering what other get from it, There a number of those on this site that are very good at debating even when their argument or subject is... lame
somehow I admire that

I'm thinking professional at might behoove me. I tend to cave in when I'm in the wrong and be FU when right without ever communicating my point of view, either way it APPEARS that I have a bad attitude.

Perhaps you should debate things you are absolutely sure you are right about. It will probably humble you a bit. The truth is we never know if we're right or not.

Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2015 7:53:14 AM

It can be. The issue is whether you are truly challenged by those people. For instance, http://www.debate.org... noob-snipes to the maxxx. He wants to hit 100-0, which I can respect, but still.... it's cheap taking debates from people you know you will beat. I've tried stopping that trend myself, but it's easier said than done.

A win is very rewarding though when you truly fight for it.

Devils advocate challenge. I debated once that stupid people should be allowed to vote. I won, but it was indeed a challenge. I don't support my position at all either, I just wanted a challenge (and won).
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2015 2:30:00 PM

Being right gives us an ego rush, and to debate we have to believe we are right.
I have not met anyone who does not have strong opinions on certain subjects.The art lies in knowing when to call a halt; when things are going nowhere; wher we have a shouting match; when all has been said that can be said.
What is so rewarding about a story is that it is not a debate yet it often seeks to convince us of something.