Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

How to write poetry?

Sobriquet
Posts: 390
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 11:23:52 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Poetry need not rhyme.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Sobriquet
Posts: 390
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 11:33:07 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Poetry isn't my thing, so I can't really explain that.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 11:36:21 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Poetry is just putting words together
Rhyming just makes it sound better
it goes just like this
sometimes you may miss
but writing poetry takes practice
just continue and gain confidence

^_^
Anarcho
Posts: 887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 11:37:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Try haikus.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 11:39:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/1/2010 11:23:00 PM, Loserboi wrote:
What counts as poetry? Does it need to rhyme is basically my main question?

A creative combination of words, usually set to syllabic patterns and rhymes.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2010 11:56:58 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A haiku you seek?
Look no further my dear friend.
They are all around.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 12:11:36 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/1/2010 11:56:58 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
A haiku you seek?
Look no further my dear friend.
They are all around.

Indeed
a little rhyming is all I need
I more like rhymes to write
but sometimes it bites
Haiku fails to have that
but it can be good for a laugh
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 12:14:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 12:11:36 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/1/2010 11:56:58 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
A haiku you seek?
Look no further my dear friend.
They are all around.

Indeed
a little rhyming is all I need
I more like rhymes to write
but sometimes it bites
Haiku fails to have that
but it can be good for a laugh

Incorrect my friend
Haikus have what you contend
You can't just pretend.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 12:18:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 12:14:41 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Incorrect my friend
Haikus have what you contend
You can't just pretend.

It is a matter of preference
can you not use my poems for reference
that there is more to putting poems together
it is as easy as weighing a stone and a feather
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 12:28:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 12:25:12 AM, Puck wrote:
If you are serious I suggest owning or at the very least finding a decent library so as to read: http://www.amazon.co.uk...

It's very amusing and informative.

He does not want to read any books
he just wants to look
we have a job to show him
to do that I will have to go out on a limb
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 12:29:31 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 12:18:49 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/2/2010 12:14:41 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Incorrect my friend
Haikus have what you contend
You can't just pretend.

It is a matter of preference
can you not use my poems for reference
that there is more to putting poems together
it is as easy as weighing a stone and a feather

You call this easy?
Like I paddle my canoe
i'll paddle you too!
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 12:33:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 12:29:31 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

You call this easy?
Like I paddle my canoe
i'll paddle you too!

It's not hard at all
it's like a dinner call
all the hungry children come
and all around you can hear yum
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 12:35:16 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 12:33:59 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/2/2010 12:29:31 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

You call this easy?
Like I paddle my canoe
i'll paddle you too!

It's not hard at all
it's like a dinner call
all the hungry children come
and all around you can hear yum

Then try a haiku
Its not as easy as you think
But try and keep up.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 1:05:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 12:35:16 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Then try a haiku
Its not as easy as you think
But try and keep up.

Haiku is not worth my time
writing rhymes is my prime
because it is fun
can you not accept that and be done
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 1:10:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 1:05:12 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 9/2/2010 12:35:16 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:

Then try a haiku
Its not as easy as you think
But try and keep up.

Haiku is not worth my time
writing rhymes is my prime
because it is fun
can you not accept that and be done

Then Haiku and rhyme
All the more challenge for you
I can do it too.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
wush
Posts: 330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 4:13:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
a poem need not rhyme
all a poem needs is rhythm
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 10:45:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 4:13:38 AM, wush wrote:
a poem need not rhyme
all a poem needs is rhythm

Why don't I read threads first before posting :p
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 10:49:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 10:45:30 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 9/2/2010 4:13:38 AM, wush wrote:
a poem need not rhyme
all a poem needs is rhythm

Why don't I read threads first before posting :p

Becase you're a fool
You don't look before you act
This will be your fall.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 10:53:42 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
It's not all that hard
to make something flow
and though i'm quite fond
to put rhyme in a poem
it's not needed you see
but sometimes adds
a hint of ecstasy

yeah... I haven't wrote anything in a long a,ss time lol

but haiku's are fun too :D like this one....

haiku's are easy
but sometimes they don't make sense
refrigerator
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 10:54:12 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 10:49:12 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
At 9/2/2010 10:45:30 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 9/2/2010 4:13:38 AM, wush wrote:
a poem need not rhyme
all a poem needs is rhythm

Why don't I read threads first before posting :p

Becase you're a fool
You don't look before you act
This will be your fall.

Gomennasai (Sorry) :p
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 11:01:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I prefer haikus
because they are a challenge
Not merely a ryhme.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 11:14:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 11:01:52 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
I prefer haikus
because they are a challenge
Not merely a ryhme.

writing with rhyme
is often quite hard
alot of the time
you'll be caught off guard
as a word you will use
will have no rhyme
like when you want juice
and you take all that time
to peel and squeeze an orange
and then....ummm ahhh sh!t....
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 11:22:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 11:14:46 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
At 9/2/2010 11:01:52 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
I prefer haikus
because they are a challenge
Not merely a ryhme.

writing with rhyme
is often quite hard
alot of the time
you'll be caught off guard
as a word you will use
will have no rhyme
like when you want juice
and you take all that time
to peel and squeeze an orange
and then you fix the door hinge
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 11:29:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 11:22:52 AM, TulleKrazy wrote:
At 9/2/2010 11:14:46 AM, xxdarkxx wrote:
At 9/2/2010 11:01:52 AM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
I prefer haikus
because they are a challenge
Not merely a ryhme.

writing with rhyme
is often quite hard
alot of the time
you'll be caught off guard
as a word you will use
will have no rhyme
like when you want juice
and you take all that time
to peel and squeeze an orange
and then you fix the door hinge

it's technically a half rhyme... but fine i'll change the poem just for that

writing with rhyme
is often quite hard
alot of the time
you'll be caught off guard
as a word you will use
will have no rhyme
and all those times
when you're deep in the mine
and you strike a piece of silver
oh yeah thats fine
until you need to rhyme....
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 11:35:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
^^
That's not a half rhyme.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
xxdarkxx
Posts: 3,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 11:40:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 9/2/2010 11:35:26 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
^^
That's not a half rhyme.

in a sense it is not a full rhyme because it is two words, and having two words can then interrupt the flow of your poem