Jump to topic:

Impromptu Speeches

belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 4:46:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
i know a lot of you guys do speech and debate, so you've probably had to do at least one of these. i'm taking a speech class (evil requirement) so i have to do one next week. the way it works is, our professor gives us a theme (religion in this case... or sports but i don't know sh*t about sports lol) and in a weeks time a quote. given the quote we have 5 minutes to prepare a 3 minute speech on it. scary!

anyways, my prof is kind of scatterbrained, and even though he said "you CAN prepare for this speech" he didn't really detail what kind of preparation would go into something like this... any advice?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 4:49:06 PM
If you know the theme a week before hand, you should research it as much as possible. That's probably obvious advice.
Not so obvious might be to be sneaky and research quotes tied to that subject and consider what you might say if they were the quote you had to speak about. It would be good preparation. :)
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 5:20:24 PM
At 9/2/2010 4:46:28 PM, belle wrote:
i know a lot of you guys do speech and debate, so you've probably had to do at least one of these. i'm taking a speech class (evil requirement) so i have to do one next week. the way it works is, our professor gives us a theme (religion in this case... or sports but i don't know sh*t about sports lol) and in a weeks time a quote. given the quote we have 5 minutes to prepare a 3 minute speech on it. scary!

anyways, my prof is kind of scatterbrained, and even though he said "you CAN prepare for this speech" he didn't really detail what kind of preparation would go into something like this... any advice?

your lucky compared to what I had to do in my speech class.

We had to give a 4 minutes speech ON THE SPOT (no 5 min prep time or anything) on an item we pulled out of a box
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 9:19:41 PM
At 9/2/2010 5:20:24 PM, xxdarkxx wrote:

We had to give a 4 minutes speech ON THE SPOT (no 5 min prep time or anything) on an item we pulled out of a box

thats helpful, thank you....
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2010 10:09:32 PM
At 9/2/2010 9:19:41 PM, belle wrote:

thats helpful, thank you....

lol sorry, umm is their any specific thing the speech has to be about other than the quote?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2010 1:59:56 AM
I have to do this sort of thing almost everyday. Practice, i know it sounds like apples and oranges practicing by yourself and performing in front of people, but the exercise of quick thinking combined with coherent speaking is incredibly valuable in the long run. Practice in the shower, practice while you drive, practice in your head, and the best time for me is to practice in my head while i am doing cardio (not sure why but before a presentation i do that and i do really well). Something that helped me a lot is having a video of me to see where my faults were.

Keep everything irregular, but none of your style should sound contrived (even though it might be a little) - keep your pace irregular so there are small pauses, volume also irregular and modulate your voice because monotone is horrible.

Sometimes i will take a single (almost random) word and practice on that and i try to sound like there is some emotion, and passion without contrived drama. Oh and if possible add a little bit of humor - but only if it comes naturally, otherwise it fails.

Lastly, confidence is everything. I know it's a a difficult thing, but i can never think of the people who are judging me as superiors.
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 7:46:13 PM

You can never complain about the level of difficulty of Oral Comm.

Ever.
xxdarkxx
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 9:26:20 PM
At 9/4/2010 7:46:13 PM, zGodMode wrote:

You can never complain about the level of difficulty of Oral Comm.

Ever.

hhahahaha true.. easiest class at our school
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2010 9:34:14 PM
Impromptu speeches are incredibly fun! In my Speech class, our teacher would give us a topic and 30 sec. to come up with a speech. We'd then have to talk about our topic for five minutes without stalling or saying "um, or hmm or uhh etc.".

Best way to "prepare" is to rip a piece of paper into a couple pieces and have someone else write down a topic on each (i.e. pencils, Toy Story, Mandarin Oranges, etc.) and place them in a hat or box. Than take turns, or do it by yourself, and draw a slip of paper and talk about the subject as long as you can. See how long you can go. Remember that details are the best since it takes time describing what you mean! It will be rough at first but you'll soon find a rhythm and become more confident!

Good luck! :D
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 10:49:15 PM
totally lucked out- the quote i got was: "all religions are the same: guilt trips with different holidays". i could have talked for an hour on the topic :D
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2010 10:50:18 PM
and thanks guys, for attempting to help... esp innomen, because your advice did help me... though i couldn't concentrate enough to practice while i was doing cardio :P