Jump to topic:

Should smokers pay more for insurance?

Todd0611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2015 6:08:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Wasn't sure if this should go under health, society, or another forum.
I started smoking in my mid 20's, and just quit this past year (9 months no cigs-smoked for about 16 years). I worked for a company that charged me about $12/month more for my health insurance, however, I never went in to see the doctor for a "smoking" related illness. I get the logic of using a higher cost to dissuade people from smoking, but I also felt like I was being discriminated against because I was a "smoker". I'm kind of surprised that in the modern age of the "I got my rights!!!" viewpoint, that no one has tried to file a lawsuit to change this policy (maybe they have, but I haven't researched).

At the time, I questioned why didn't the insurance companies charge fat, and overweight people more for their health insurance, I mean some of the same logic applies. If you smoke, you may have to go to the doctor for high blood pressure, same thing with people that are overweight. People will say, well you "chose" to smoke, so you are putting your health at risk; same thing applies to people who overeat. They choose to eat more than they should, or they don't exercise, both of which can cause health issues. I'm not talking about the exceptions, genetic defects, and others, but just average people, who could have avoided health problems, if they watched their diet.

I also knew plenty of people who smoked the "herb", but weren't regular smokers (of cigarettes), and they didn't have to pay more for their insurance either. One step further, what about people who drink too much, would you charge more for people who had "beer guts"? They also have a choice like smokers, not to drink as much, or quit. I am a retired smoker, so this does not effect me anymore, but just wanted your thoughts on the topic, thanks.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2015 3:11:39 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 9/3/2015 6:08:30 PM, Todd0611 wrote:
Wasn't sure if this should go under health, society, or another forum.
I started smoking in my mid 20's, and just quit this past year (9 months no cigs-smoked for about 16 years). I worked for a company that charged me about $12/month more for my health insurance, however, I never went in to see the doctor for a "smoking" related illness. I get the logic of using a higher cost to dissuade people from smoking, but I also felt like I was being discriminated against because I was a "smoker". I'm kind of surprised that in the modern age of the "I got my rights!!!" viewpoint, that no one has tried to file a lawsuit to change this policy (maybe they have, but I haven't researched).

At the time, I questioned why didn't the insurance companies charge fat, and overweight people more for their health insurance, I mean some of the same logic applies. If you smoke, you may have to go to the doctor for high blood pressure, same thing with people that are overweight. People will say, well you "chose" to smoke, so you are putting your health at risk; same thing applies to people who overeat. They choose to eat more than they should, or they don't exercise, both of which can cause health issues. I'm not talking about the exceptions, genetic defects, and others, but just average people, who could have avoided health problems, if they watched their diet.

I also knew plenty of people who smoked the "herb", but weren't regular smokers (of cigarettes), and they didn't have to pay more for their insurance either. One step further, what about people who drink too much, would you charge more for people who had "beer guts"? They also have a choice like smokers, not to drink as much, or quit. I am a retired smoker, so this does not effect me anymore, but just wanted your thoughts on the topic, thanks.

People who use insurance should be the people who pay the most. I smoke and have paid for health insurance for 30 years and never used it while I see non smokers using it for every little ailment they get.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%