Jump to topic:

Are Trans people mentally ill?

Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 7:18:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
http://newobserveronline.com... Here is the opinion of an esteemed scientist. Now let's watch the liberals loose their minds and start to spout accusations of transphobia and other such nonsense.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 8:44:37 PM
At 9/4/2015 7:18:03 PM, Mobutu wrote:
http://newobserveronline.com... Here is the opinion of an esteemed scientist. Now let's watch the liberals loose their minds and start to spout accusations of transphobia and other such nonsense.

Well studies show that those who get a sex change tend to suffer from depression and 27% commit suicide.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:00:34 PM
It is not normal for a man to want to dress and act like a woman and vice versa. Enough said. It isn't rocket science.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:05:09 PM
At 9/4/2015 9:00:34 PM, sadolite wrote:
It is not normal for a man to want to dress and act like a woman and vice versa. Enough said. It isn't rocket science.

Well it depends what he means. It could be transgender, transsexual, or transvestite.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2015 9:11:15 PM
At 9/4/2015 9:05:09 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 9/4/2015 9:00:34 PM, sadolite wrote:

Well it depends what he means. It could be transgender, transsexual, or transvestite.

You can play semantics all day long. It doesn't change anything. I forgot to add this. All of your semantical people are capable of being productive members of society. But what society does not have to do is make special considerations and changes to accommodate them. If your sexual oddity is non conducive to any business they have no obligation to hire you or accommodate you. You choose to make your life difficult.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:34:28 AM
Well I could say some things, but I never cared much for watching The Three Stooges. And with Moe, Larry and Curly sitting above me, well I suppose it's best to sit quiet and watch you three morons beat yourself senseless until hopefully you all keel over with outdated stupidity.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 10:37:14 AM
At 9/5/2015 4:34:28 AM, Serato wrote:
Well I could say some things, but I never cared much for watching The Three Stooges. And with Moe, Larry and Curly sitting above me, well I suppose it's best to sit quiet and watch you three morons beat yourself senseless until hopefully you all keel over with outdated stupidity.

I'm guessing you have no experience in the field of mental health. Or not nearly as much as the man I have cited.
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 12:01:28 PM
At 9/5/2015 10:37:14 AM, Mobutu wrote:

I'm guessing you have no experience in the field of mental health. Or not nearly as much as the man I have cited.

That's a huge assumption based on my one post that didn't really say anything relevant to the topic. I'm unaware of the many you cited because it's likely I skimmed the post too fast since whatever was said is garbage.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 3:55:00 PM

He is entitled to pursue his thesis, however, most of the professional community has moved past his objections. The consensus views are not inline with his.

The guy is in his late 80's and was most active in the 1970's. That he is not keeping abreast of his colleagues and changes in the field is not worth bickering over.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:18:43 PM
At 9/5/2015 12:01:28 PM, Serato wrote:

That's a huge assumption based on my one post that didn't really say anything relevant to the topic. I'm unaware of the many you cited because it's likely I skimmed the post too fast since whatever was said is garbage.

You can't deny things because they're inconvenient.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:19:42 PM
At 9/5/2015 3:55:00 PM, TBR wrote:

He is entitled to pursue his thesis, however, most of the professional community has moved past his objections. The consensus views are not inline with his.

The guy is in his late 80's and was most active in the 1970's. That he is not keeping abreast of his colleagues and changes in the field is not worth bickering over.

That's just because of the gay agenda supressing science for the fulfilment of their agenda directed by Zionists.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:25:09 PM
That's just because of the gay agenda supressing science for the fulfilment of their agenda directed by Zionists.

I see. its the communist zionists banking (plus homo) conspiracy. Please share photos of your corkboard diagram showing all the insidious connections with Rothschild at the center.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:25:52 PM
At 9/5/2015 4:25:09 PM, TBR wrote:

I see. its the communist zionists banking (plus homo) conspiracy. Please share photos of your corkboard diagram showing all the insidious connections with Rothschild at the center.

The Zionist part was a joke but there certainly is a gay agenda.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:34:23 PM
At 9/5/2015 4:25:52 PM, Mobutu wrote:

I see. I'm sure this agenda is published for review somewhere, right? There is a organizing body with a board of directors?
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:37:51 PM
At 9/5/2015 4:34:23 PM, TBR wrote:
At 9/5/2015 4:25:52 PM, Mobutu wrote:

I see. I'm sure this agenda is published for review somewhere, right? There is a organizing body with a board of directors?

It's more a decentralized group of individual who combine to militantly fight for LGBT issues and to have the right to destroy Christianity which intersects into the Liberal agenda who while their leaders have not been pin pointed it is obvious that it is very active in the west.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:41:50 PM

It's more a decentralized group of individual who combine to militantly fight for LGBT issues and to have the right to destroy Christianity which intersects into the Liberal agenda who while their leaders have not been pin pointed it is obvious that it is very active in the west.

That sounds wonderful. Thanks for the lead. I hope they let me join.

I think I will start my search for entrance by wearing assless chaps and a "God Sucks" tee. Bet that will get there attention.
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:42:32 PM
At 9/5/2015 4:41:50 PM, TBR wrote:

That sounds wonderful. Thanks for the lead. I hope they let me join.

I think I will start my search for entrance by wearing assless chaps and a "God Sucks" tee. Bet that will get there attention.

Great to see you hate every religious person on Earth.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 4:52:31 PM

Well, the DSM does classify it as a mental disorder where it's called "gender identity disorder" or "gender dysphoria".
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 5:07:29 PM

No. Not all.

I had a real thing going with Ted Haggard. It was pure love.

And, how can I hate The Reverend Horton Heat
Mobutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 6:53:45 PM
At 9/5/2015 5:07:29 PM, TBR wrote:

No. Not all.

I had a real thing going with Ted Haggard. It was pure love.

And, how can I hate The Reverend Horton Heat

Supporting the Liberal agenda means you think that all religious people are evil savages who need to be civilized like the native religions of Sudan had to be civilized by the Muslims.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 7:11:14 PM
Supporting the Liberal agenda means you think that all religious people are evil savages who need to be civilized like the native religions of Sudan had to be civilized by the Muslims.

I have never heard our strategy so eloquent stated. Did you sneak into the special meeting held last week at our private San Francisco capital?
Serato
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 7:27:12 PM
At 9/5/2015 4:18:43 PM, Mobutu wrote:
At 9/5/2015 12:01:28 PM, Serato wrote:

You can't deny things because they're inconvenient.

I'm not sure what that statement means. But moving forward, it's good practice to post a summarization of a link or video when expecting its content to be the focus of the thread. This site is by far appears to be the worst violator with respects to the common decency of providing a basic narration. When no description is added with a link, then it's a thread not worth my time. So what I'm saying is I have no clue as to what I'm supposed to be denying.
FundamentalGuy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2015 9:37:19 PM
There's no need to focus a discussion on the article in the OP post, or even simply the statement provided in the heading. I personally don't see that much value in the article, but that's not the point. There's plenty of sources to cite and thoughts that can be brought to the table on this topic to make it a good discussion thread. Forums have that flexibility. I'm quite interested in discussing the nature of transgenderism.

Note that transvestites are people who like to dress as the opposite sex but do not necessarily have gender identity issues. In the case of transgender people, their personal sense of identity does not correspond with the sex they were born as. Whilst transsexuals share the definition of transgender, that term is used more often in the context of sex changes. Clearing that up for the user who didn't seem to understand the difference.

Anyway here's some thoughts. I'm not going to justify or elaborate on everything, so I'll be implying a bit. I'm not really trying to provide a case for contention like in a debate, but i'm just throwing some of my ideas out there if anybody wants to discuss them, which I'm happy to do so.

Right, so, the state of being transgender is recognised as a mental condition, called gender dysphoria, although its "treated" by assisting patients in becoming their identified gender. There's no known cure for it and so people are encouraged to accept transgender people without prejudice. The brainwashing of political correctness does annoy me, though, but I guess so many people are thickheaded about their beliefs and convincing them that these people are "normal" is more effective than understanding that they are ill-minded people and expecting people to work with that without discrimination. It obviously causes many transgender people to be quite deluded, something I've noticed for ages in so many. It'd be ideal if we found a cure, but I suppose there's no major issue in accepting transgenderism as "perfectly normal" in people's minds. If there's no cure then it's better to help those people live as comfortable a life as possible. It's a shame really that those people tend to live such painful lives. Traditional values so often get in the way of a moral and accepting society.

I personally dislike dishonesty being fed to the public body through political correctness, but that's just me. The way I see it, a rational outlook should take precedence, but having a decent sense of empathy and modern moral values is also important to work with people. The majority of people find it very hard to find a working balance with their emotions and rationality that allows them to see things as clearly as possible.

I've wondered whether gender dysphoria is an extreme of homosexuality, and thus then it would make sense to see homosexuals as being mentally ill. Obviously mental illness has many different forms and effects, so I'd like to discuss such a point without people getting personally offended by the idea. Really, it just ruins a potential discussion on something when people question politically correct outlooks and others take some high ground and express how insulting those people are being. It's annoying how they infer that from questioning something like "homosexuality is not a mental disorder", that you're prejudiced against those groups of people personally. I know I, and many others I'm sure, are just trying to discuss the topic and gain a more realistic understanding. It doesn't have to imply that by questioning that point on homosexuality, for example, that those people are looking for an excuse to view them in a lesser light. It amazes me how some people cannot conceive of the possibility that people can be capable of perceiving homosexuals as mentally ill and treating them with the same full acceptance that many gay rights advocates would treat homosexuals. That's just one example within this context, I mean it to apply to anybody questioning a politically correct outlook merely for the sake of a better understanding on certain aspects of human nature.

It does bother me a little that I felt the need to explain my "not bad"intentions there, but from all my experience of using forums or even talking to random people in real life, tons of people still get butt-hurt easily when you question their core beliefs. Better say all that than have some people derail the thread by attacking me for my views and thoughts. This is a sensitive topic about a sensitive community, and from my limited time here I honestly can't say I expect the vast majority of the user-base to be reasonable and open minded people. I've seen fair number of troll debates and different types of idiots on this site so far actually. It's just an open internet community, after all, and debates attract all type of people, so it's not like my expectations feel betrayed or anything. The quicker people are on the same ground as me, the less pointless arguments will occur and the better we can discuss stuff.

Of course, there will be people who will just skim through my post and miss key information that, theoretically, should stop them from questioning my attitude or intentions. In fact, there are people even capable of reading it all and still thinking that I'm being a prejudiced jackass. Maybe it might seem like I'm emphasizing this a bit too much, and maybe the users who would have viewed and decided to reply to my post, should it been in a straight-to-the-point format, with unperturbed and reasonable replies. But I know they're out there, and at the end of the day there's a wall of text here that has allowed for many more points of contention and discussion anyway. A thread should be allowed to naturally evolve, in my opinion, as long as people behave appropriately and don't lose control of the thread so as to just leave it in a big unproductive mess.

So yeah, there's some stuff to think about. A final thought on the topic I want to put out there, is that maybe homosexuality and transgenderism is nature's way of encouraging same sex relationships to avoid overpopulation. After all, we shouldn't assume evolution is a retarded process unable to process the times from our conscious outlook on the different dynamics of life. I think it's interesting how you can take the initial question of the OP post and explore hypotheses based on ideas formed about the nature of the forces in play; to take the topic even deeper. In my opinion, if managed properly, that that is better than multiple very focused threads that spend too long trying to prove a single point and remain oblivious to the consensuses formed in the related threads.

Anyway, I'm still half-expecting some hostility to this post, probably not so much about questioning politically correct outlooks now, though, but for all my ideas I've put in here and for writing it all like this. But hey, I'm making an effort to get good discussions going.

So yeah, there's my "two cents". Lol.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 5:36:06 AM
At 9/5/2015 9:37:19 PM, FundamentalGuy wrote:
It does bother me a little that I felt the need to explain my "not bad"intentions there, but from all my experience of using forums or even talking to random people in real life, tons of people still get butt-hurt easily when you question their core beliefs. Better say all that than have some people derail the thread by attacking me for my views and thoughts. This is a sensitive topic about a sensitive community, and from my limited time here I honestly can't say I expect the vast majority of the user-base to be reasonable and open minded people. I've seen fair number of troll debates and different types of idiots on this site so far actually. It's just an open internet community, after all, and debates attract all type of people, so it's not like my expectations feel betrayed or anything. The quicker people are on the same ground as me, the less pointless arguments will occur and the better we can discuss stuff.

I think that classifying homosexuality as a 'mental disordes' is kind of pointless, not necessarily immoral or bigoted or anything. I mean, if you define 'disordered' as 'abnormal', then yeah, they are, but why use that definition to begin with? There's really no point in pathologizing things for simply being uncommon, and I don't see much of a difference between saying that homosexuality is mental disorder and saying that being redheaded is a physical disorder. Both cause no objective harm, both can result in negative social reactions which are psychologically damaging down the road, and both are uncommon. To me, those sort of traits don't establish something as a pathology to be stomped out, they highlight societal issues to be addressed when it comes to a reaction to that condition.

I can see the point with transgenderism, as there is a course of corrective surgery available to rectify the situation for the person in question. But that isn't true when it comes to homosexuality; the course of action turns out to be: do nothing. I think that the people who scream bigot, while no doubt annoying to you when you harbor no such ill will, are just functioning off of experience: since the stance that homosexuality is a mental disorder isn't very well supported outside of worldviews which typically view homosexuality in a hostile manner, the view becomes associated with those hostile views and tarnished by said association.

Of course, there will be people who will just skim through my post and miss key information that, theoretically, should stop them from questioning my attitude or intentions. In fact, there are people even capable of reading it all and still thinking that I'm being a prejudiced jackass. Maybe it might seem like I'm emphasizing this a bit too much, and maybe the users who would have viewed and decided to reply to my post, should it been in a straight-to-the-point format, with unperturbed and reasonable replies. But I know they're out there, and at the end of the day there's a wall of text here that has allowed for many more points of contention and discussion anyway. A thread should be allowed to naturally evolve, in my opinion, as long as people behave appropriately and don't lose control of the thread so as to just leave it in a big unproductive mess.

So yeah, there's some stuff to think about. A final thought on the topic I want to put out there, is that maybe homosexuality and transgenderism is nature's way of encouraging same sex relationships to avoid overpopulation. After all, we shouldn't assume evolution is a retarded process unable to process the times from our conscious outlook on the different dynamics of life. I think it's interesting how you can take the initial question of the OP post and explore hypotheses based on ideas formed about the nature of the forces in play; to take the topic even deeper. In my opinion, if managed properly, that that is better than multiple very focused threads that spend too long trying to prove a single point and remain oblivious to the consensuses formed in the related threads.

I think that it's much more likely that it is so ubiquitous in nature because nature tends to be polygamous when it comes to mating. This way, instead of all of the men in the social groups killing each other in order to be at the top of the pyramid and earn mating privileges, they can pair off and contribute to the welfare of their social group in other ways, thus preserving resources and giving those social groups which practiced homosexuality a competitive advantage over those which did not. As we moved into monogamy, that function lost its utility, but society moves much faster than evolution does and people were still born with homosexual urges. Now, in the West, society is once again finding niches for gay people, and it probably is associated with female liberation. Not all the women are pairing off any more, plus add rampant divorce and you have the functional equivalent of polygamy on a societal level.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 1:55:06 PM

Interesting point. What isent in dispute is whether people choose to be transgender. They do not. Some people can manage to supress their feelings and live relatitely happy lives but some people are unable to live life 'stuck in the wrong body' and have to live as the opposite sex. This then usually leads to a sex change operation. In my opinion the most likely problem is in the early stages of foetal development something goes wrong where the brain and the body don't match up properly. It's either that or transexuality used to play some role in early human behaviour and evolution still hasent totally removed it from the population. It's harsh to call it a disorder but I can see where your coming from as someone who has a sex change is then unable to have children, so clearly the condition hinders the human species reproduction rates. I think trans people deserve respect though as this is something that is not their fault at all and it has no effects on other people whatsoever.
Hawlucha
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 2:22:15 PM
Considering Vincent van Gogh was famous for hacking off his ear presumably because he had Meinere's disease and was also theorized to be bipolar it made perfect sense as to why he would self-mutilate (the reasons behind his mutilation, not that mutilation in general makes any sense for a sane person.)

Be it an ear, an eye, tooth, limb, etc, it doesn't matter, it's still a sign of psychosis for someone to hack off a part of their own body. If someone wants to mutilate their own genitals in order to "transcend" to the opposite sex then you're not really well in the noggin no matter how much you try to convince others you're right or assume "my body, my choice" is enough grounds to do so. The well-being of the individual surpasses the desire of what to do with one's body. Just ask the drug-addicts who chose to ignore the warnings regarding substances and are now in the streets begging for spare change to buy and smoke some crack or maybe ended up hospitalized, imprisoned, or dead.

Transsexualism and transgenderism are psycho-genetic issues that need to be addressed ASAP.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2015 5:01:24 PM
His views are guided completely by religion. I thought it was prudent to note that.

Also: https://www.youtube.com...
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King