britkit_francis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 7:56:30 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Scenario specifics:
You work for the government.
Come back to house to find guy near your computer with some sort of device plugged in to your PC.
You figure that he is trying to steal your data and also add a virus to the government system.
The guy turns, looks at you, types something in, removes the component and tries to scram.

This guy could also be mental or determined and won't listen to reason.

What would you do? (Argue why your way is better than mine.)
I would attack and figure out what that was all about.
Es lohnt sich, auf einen Volkswagen zu warten
Volkswagen
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 8:18:43 PM
At 9/25/2015 7:56:30 PM, britkit_francis wrote:
Scenario specifics:
Come back to house to find guy near your computer with some sort of device plugged in to your PC.
You figure that he is trying to steal your data and also add a virus to the government system.
The guy turns, looks at you, types something in, removes the component and tries to scram.

Hold him at gunpoint and demand to know what he's doing. Tell him that you'll kill him if he doesn't answer truthfully. If he refuses to talk, shoot him in the leg to let him know that you are serious. Take out your iPhone and record the confession. Do not record the part about threatening to kill him. Call the authorities, give them the tape, and deny it whenever he claims that the confession was at gunpoint.
If after threatening him he tries to run, shoot him in the leg to stop him from running and to show him that you are serious. If he charges you, shoot him in the head immediately.
If you have no gun on you and there's no fairly easily accessible gun in your home, call the police immediately. If you have a gun in a closet or something, grab it before confronting him.
Be sure to quickly remove the device from your PC if possible. Do not destroy it as it may later serve as evidence.
If the man threatens you and neither of you have a gun, assess whether or not you can take this guy. Charge him if you're clearly stronger and run away if he's stronger (be sure to call the police after you get away). If the man threatens you and he has a gun and you don't, then tell him that you've already called the police, regardless of whether or not you actually did. If he calls your bluff, you're screwed. If you both have guns, shoot first and make absolutely certain that he's dead. If you both have guns and he runs away, pursue only enough to make sure that he exits your property. Then call the police.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
britkit_francis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 10:51:50 PM
At 9/25/2015 8:18:43 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 9/25/2015 7:56:30 PM, britkit_francis wrote:
Scenario specifics:

Hold him at gunpoint and demand to know what he's doing. Tell him that you'll kill him if he doesn't answer truthfully. If he refuses to talk, shoot him in the leg to let him know that you are serious. Take out your iPhone and record the confession. Do not record the part about threatening to kill him. Call the authorities, give them the tape, and deny it whenever he claims that the confession was at gunpoint.
If after threatening him he tries to run, shoot him in the leg to stop him from running and to show him that you are serious. If he charges you, shoot him in the head immediately.
If you have no gun on you and there's no fairly easily accessible gun in your home, call the police immediately. If you have a gun in a closet or something, grab it before confronting him.
Be sure to quickly remove the device from your PC if possible. Do not destroy it as it may later serve as evidence.
If the man threatens you and neither of you have a gun, assess whether or not you can take this guy. Charge him if you're clearly stronger and run away if he's stronger (be sure to call the police after you get away). If the man threatens you and he has a gun and you don't, then tell him that you've already called the police, regardless of whether or not you actually did. If he calls your bluff, you're screwed. If you both have guns, shoot first and make absolutely certain that he's dead. If you both have guns and he runs away, pursue only enough to make sure that he exits your property. Then call the police.

This sounds like something from an action book. Good response. :)
Es lohnt sich, auf einen Volkswagen zu warten
Volkswagen