Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Should a rape victim be allowed an abortion?

beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2015 10:32:36 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Personally I am in favour of abortion at any stage In pregnancy. No one should be forced by law to give birth to an unwanted child. Many people however disagree with this view. Some even claim that a rape victim should not be allowed an abortion. If you are one of those people how do you justify your views?
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2015 8:06:07 PM
At 9/25/2015 10:32:36 PM, beng100 wrote:
Personally I am in favour of abortion at any stage In pregnancy. No one should be forced by law to give birth to an unwanted child. Many people however disagree with this view. Some even claim that a rape victim should not be allowed an abortion. If you are one of those people how do you justify your views?

I'm pro abortion, but late term abortion is ridiculous and should be illegal. If you don't want the child then abort it early, before it's developed.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 3:24:35 AM

Just because sh!t happens doesn't mean you get a carte blanche to do whatever you want. The child is not guilty of the sins of the father, yet the child is the one being given a death sentence.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 6:43:43 AM
At 9/30/2015 3:24:35 AM, Geogeer wrote:

Just because sh!t happens doesn't mean you get a carte blanche to do whatever you want. The child is not guilty of the sins of the father, yet the child is the one being given a death sentence.

Dont you think the rape victim would be traimatised by having to carry the rapists baby, constantly reminding her of the event? What about the damage it would cause her life? This child would then most likely end up in a care home as neither mother or father would want it. It is completely pointless and cruell.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:10:17 AM
At 9/30/2015 6:43:43 AM, beng100 wrote:

Dont you think the rape victim would be traimatised by having to carry the rapists baby, constantly reminding her of the event? What about the damage it would cause her life? This child would then most likely end up in a care home as neither mother or father would want it. It is completely pointless and cruell.

So let's assume that a former prisoner of a concentration camp lived next to a German man, and his accent constantly reminded her of the concentration camp. She should just be allowed to go next door and kill him?

However in direct answer to your question question. There has only been one study done on women who got pregnant from rape. You know what the women wanted after being raped? They wanted compassion and understanding from those around them. They wanted to be reaffirmed by their loved ones, they wanted to know that they didn't deserve this and that people would be there for them in this time of need.

Some got that support. Others were urged to get an abortion. Normally this is because the people in their lives wanted the inconvenience to go away and just pretend it never happened. Abortion seems easy, but it is easier for the people around the woman rather than being easier for the woman. The experience of rape doesn't disappear from getting an abortion.

So in the study the majority of women carried the child to term. Those who didn't get an abortion recovered better from the rape than those who did. The women who carried the child to term regained mental strength because they proved that they were better than the rapist. He took something good and turned it to evil. They took something evil and turned it to good. They proved to themselves that they were worthy and that they were not deserving of what happened to them.

On the other hand the women who had abortions noted that the abortion put them once again in a position of powerlessness. Once again they were on their backs with another person in control and inserting objects into this region of their body.

As for a crappy life, don't you ever say that. 2 of the best friends I've ever had were adopted. They have enriched my life and you spit on them with your condescending attitude. I know both of them have a wound inside them from being given up for adoption. Yet both of them have loving families, are well adjusted and are happier being alive than not.

https://www.youtube.com...
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:19:20 AM

Actually, having the child itself is seldom the issue. The main issue is that the rapist, having parental rights, remains a part of the victim's life.

Personally, I think it's hypocritical that we kill rape-babies but not rapists. 'Her body, her choice' - the rapist violated both on purpose, whereas the baby was conceived through no fault of his/her own.
birdlandmemories
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 7:30:44 AM

I have no idea how anyone could have a justifiable reason to deny a rape victim an abortion. You perfectly stated that no one should be forced to have an unwanted child.
Ashton
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2015 1:52:52 PM
At 9/30/2015 7:19:20 AM, SM2 wrote:

Actually, having the child itself is seldom the issue. The main issue is that the rapist, having parental rights, remains a part of the victim's life.

Personally, I think it's hypocritical that we kill rape-babies but not rapists. 'Her body, her choice' - the rapist violated both on purpose, whereas the baby was conceived through no fault of his/her own.

I agree some cases of rape justify the death penalty. I believe rapists are evil people. Unfortunately the child has 50% of the fathers genetics. This means the child is likely to inherit some of the fathers characteristics. Many women would be traumatized by seeing physical similarities to their attacker. How do you explain to a child how they were conceived? It's fair to say religious fundamentalists would reject this child in their society. They go on about saving its life but once born reject it as illegitimate Bastard child.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 4:09:58 AM
At 9/30/2015 1:52:52 PM, beng100 wrote:

Many women would be traumatized by seeing physical similarities to their attacker.

Then give the child up for adoption.

How do you explain to a child how they were conceived?

A) Tell them the truth.

or B) Lie.

It's fair to say religious fundamentalists would reject this child in their society. They go on about saving its life but once born reject it as illegitimate Bastard child.

Who cares what fundamentalists think? They're fvckwits.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 7:01:13 AM
At 10/1/2015 4:09:58 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 9/30/2015 1:52:52 PM, beng100 wrote:

Many women would be traumatized by seeing physical similarities to their attacker.

Then give the child up for adoption.

How do you explain to a child how they were conceived?

A) Tell them the truth.

or B) Lie.

It's fair to say religious fundamentalists would reject this child in their society. They go on about saving its life but once born reject it as illegitimate Bastard child.

Who cares what fundamentalists think? They're fvckwits.

Whats the point of someone ensuring pregnancy for nine months if they don't want the child? Maybe the care system is a lot better where you live, but I live in the UK where unfortunately it's abysmal. There is a very poor standard of care. Children are poorly looked after. This is despite a mammoth cost of "200, 000 per child. Peedos and pumps wait outside care homes often in vehicles to tempt the kids with presents and pretend to be boyfriends when really they are rapists. Care homes are generally understaffed and mental health issues are common and generally poorly treated. Your probably thinking what is this idiot on about claiming "200, 000 is a lot of money to rear a kid. I agree it is not. But unbelievably despite the poor levels of care this is the cost per child per year!
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 9:05:32 AM
At 10/1/2015 7:01:13 AM, beng100 wrote:

Whats the point of someone ensuring pregnancy for nine months if they don't want the child? Maybe the care system is a lot better where you live, but I live in the UK where unfortunately it's abysmal. There is a very poor standard of care. Children are poorly looked after. This is despite a mammoth cost of "200, 000 per child. Peedos and pumps wait outside care homes often in vehicles to tempt the kids with presents and pretend to be boyfriends when really they are rapists. Care homes are generally understaffed and mental health issues are common and generally poorly treated. Your probably thinking what is this idiot on about claiming "200, 000 is a lot of money to rear a kid. I agree it is not. But unbelievably despite the poor levels of care this is the cost per child per year!

Problem: Adoption system is shiit.

Your solution: Abort the buggers.

Why don't we just overhaul the system instead?
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 9:51:39 AM
At 10/1/2015 9:05:32 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/1/2015 7:01:13 AM, beng100 wrote:

Problem: Adoption system is shiit.

Your solution: Abort the buggers.

Why don't we just overhaul the system instead?

Yes the system needs major improvements. Still why punish a rape victim by forcing a pregnancy? If she wants the kid offer support and help but if she wants to abort it then abort it.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 10:14:32 AM
At 10/1/2015 9:51:39 AM, beng100 wrote:

Yes the system needs major improvements. Still why punish a rape victim by forcing a pregnancy? If she wants the kid offer support and help but if she wants to abort it then abort it.

What about the child's interests? That's a living thing that you're wiping out. Does lessening the mother's trauma really justify the death of an innocent?

Yes, being raped is horrible, but it's not a license to do whatever you want.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2015 12:15:57 PM
At 10/1/2015 10:14:32 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/1/2015 9:51:39 AM, beng100 wrote:

What about the child's interests? That's a living thing that you're wiping out. Does lessening the mother's trauma really justify the death of an innocent?

Yes, being raped is horrible, but it's not a license to do whatever you want.

Personally i value a foetuses life as similar to an animals. Low level of intelligence. An adult human is a much more significant creature. You obviously don't really care about rape if you think that. Pregnancy is horrificly unfair.
SM2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 4:49:09 AM
At 10/1/2015 12:15:57 PM, beng100 wrote:

You obviously don't really care about rape if you think that.

That is a personal attack, and is completely false. Shame on you.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2015 1:06:33 PM
At 10/2/2015 4:49:09 AM, SM2 wrote:
At 10/1/2015 12:15:57 PM, beng100 wrote:

You obviously don't really care about rape if you think that.

That is a personal attack, and is completely false. Shame on you.

I stand by that view. Anybody who does not allow a rape victim a choice regarding an undesired pregnancy does not understand the situation. It's up to them nobody should force them to do anything.
Atheist-Independent
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2015 12:26:13 AM
I understand the concern for late-term abortions, but I think that they are largely unfounded. An abortion is more equivalent to removing a kidney for transplant than it is to a brutal murder.
SweetMeat1776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 1:57:39 AM
I believe that abortion, in the entirety of its nature, should be illegal. Despite whether the pregnancy is intentional, unintentional, or even a result of sexual assault, I stand behind this statement. I understand the controversial perspectives that will ensue in response to the above mentioned claim; however, I will attempt to build a logical argument for my case. I am not pro-life for religious reasons; I am not pro-life for moral reasons; I am pro-life for logical and rational reasons.
My purpose here is not to make a generalized argument for pro-life; I would like to dive a little bit deeper, and argue against abortion, specifically for rape victims. To preface, I would like to disclose that I am a male in my mid-twenties. So I am quite aware of the rebuttals that may follow: "You"ve never had to deal with sexual assault," "It"s a woman"s choice," "You can"t even have an opinion on this matter." And to that I must say, that you are in many ways correct. There"s a high likelihood that I will not be sexual assaulted in my lifetime, and there is an extremely high likelihood that I will never be pregnant in my lifetime. But, I do have an opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion; so here it is.
I believe abortion, in general, is a heinous and illogical action, performed by selfish and irresponsible individuals. However, abortions performed on rape victims, cannot be lumped into this "selfish and irresponsible" categorization; simply, because they did not choose for this situation to happen. They were victims of an also heinous and illogical action. But the answer to rape, isn"t abortion. Rape victims suffer more than enough mental and physiological suffering. To proceed with an abortion shortly after a sexual assault, only adds more distress to the victims. A study of the medical records of 56,741 California Medicaid patients revealed that women who had abortions were 160 percent more likely than delivering women to be hospitalized for psychiatric treatment in the first 90 days following abortion or delivery. In a study of post-abortion patients only 8 weeks after their abortion, researchers found that 44% complained of nervous disorders, 36% had experienced sleep disturbances, 31% had regrets about their decision, and 11% had been prescribed psychotropic medicine by their family doctor. The psychological side-effects are real, and they are harmful. Not to mention the physical hardships encountered after an abortion.

A study of the entire population of women in Denmark published in 2012 had two key findings. The first found that the risk of death following abortion remains higher in each of the first ten years following the abortion. The second found that the risk of death increases with each abortion, 45% after one abortion, 114% after two abortions, and 192 percent after three or more abortions. Cancer risks are also extremely concerning as well. Women with a history of one abortion face a 2.3 times higher risk of having cervical cancer, compared to women with no history of abortion.
The statistics go on, and on. Abortion is an operation with high-risk side effects, and extreme results (i.e. termination of a fetal embryo). Deciding to abort is making a definitive choice, with non-reversible implications; unlike foster homes or adoption. And I"ve heard the argument countless times "the baby just reminds the mother of the sexual assault: it is the product of a terrible act." Yes, it may remind the mother of an awful moment. But the baby shouldn"t pay the price.

Would love to hear some feedback!