Jump to topic:

is this right?

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 12:15:09 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
If a son was hit by his father everytime he said or did something stupid but...

When the son grows up he starts beating his dad up every day because he is old and can't defend himself anymore out of revenge. Is this beating of the father justified?

I am just saying do parents ever think about this possible outcome after hitting their child? Some people say disciplining a child is ok, but is it ok if the child grows up and beats his dad up?
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 1:35:22 AM
Both of them are dumb as a brick and their actions are unjustified.

And beating children never created anything positive.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 3:52:42 AM
As a parent I am dead against corporal punishment or smacking, which I think is totally unnecessary.

As for myself, I have a vague desire to track down my mum's ex who beat me and my brothers when we were kids and give him a good kicking. I don't think it would be a particularly moral or "right" thing to do however.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 4:55:14 AM
At 9/17/2010 12:15:09 AM, Loserboi wrote:

When the son grows up he starts beating his dad up every day because he is old and can't defend himself anymore out of revenge. Is this beating of the father justified?

I am just saying do parents ever think about this possible outcome after hitting their child? Some people say disciplining a child is ok, but is it ok if the child grows up and beats his dad up?

If that does happen then you have not disciplined your child, you probably abused him.

A properly raised person will understand that they were punished for their own benefit.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 6:39:53 AM
At 9/17/2010 12:15:09 AM, Loserboi wrote:

Violence is almost never right. However I would not hold him legally against it if it was chiluse that no one prevented.

As for myself I am against such methods of discipline. In fact I don't think there are very many times that uld intervene. I think I'd treat my kids like mom did when I was two.
For example you have the stove on and the kid looks like they want to toit and they get the look on their face kids get when they are about to do something new, tell them its hot and will hurt them. Inevetably they WILL touch it, but from that they learn the naal consiquience of touching things when they are hot, and also learn that I don't lie to them. If they steal something, let them spend one night in jail/juvie or whatever. They do something like that for that purpose just not sure what. If they want to eat so many sweets that they get sick, let them get sick.

All the above are better ways to teach kids what they should do then to keep them from it or whatever. Especially the last one. I did that at Christmas once. I almost never ate chocolate/sweets again.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 7:10:02 AM
well.. my father's beaten me when he's thought i've acted out of line for as long as i can remember lol.. 'twas great craic altogether :) nah, but seriously.. most of the time i thought it was understandable and even justified.. now when i say that he beat me i mean a boot up the hole for acting the bollox and things like that.. but there were occasions when i didn't feel i had deserved it and things got a bit out of hand lol.. usually ended up with poor mammy in tears and a trip to a&e. but i've always had a fairly good relationship with my father.. he was always fair.. and he never held a grudge after i'd fought back.. and i've fought back dirty due to knowingly being at a disadvantage lol.. he broke my nose once.. i've broke his several times lol.. only recently enough i shot him in the face with a powerhose literally shaving him.. (brian seemed fairly disgusted with that, but in fairness.. to myself.. he came at me first lol).. the thing is though, i feel my situation is rather unusual.. in that we were beating each other out of love, probably unlike what feverish was talking about.. i'd say it made me a better person and seems to have done the same with him.. i've two younger brothers who he's yet to touch.. the bastard.. but i suppose i gave them beatings enough for the two of us :)
signature
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 7:30:00 AM
At 9/17/2010 7:10:02 AM, badger wrote:
well.. my father's beaten me when he's thought i've acted out of line for as long as i can remember lol.. 'twas great craic altogether :) nah, but seriously.. most of the time i thought it was understandable and even justified.. now when i say that he beat me i mean a boot up the hole for acting the bollox and things like that.. but there were occasions when i didn't feel i had deserved it and things got a bit out of hand lol.. usually ended up with poor mammy in tears and a trip to a&e. but i've always had a fairly good relationship with my father.. he was always fair.. and he never held a grudge after i'd fought back.. and i've fought back dirty due to knowingly being at a disadvantage lol.. he broke my nose once.. i've broke his several times lol.. only recently enough i shot him in the face with a powerhose literally shaving him.. (brian seemed fairly disgusted with that, but in fairness.. to myself.. he came at me first lol).. the thing is though, i feel my situation is rather unusual.. in that we were beating each other out of love, probably unlike what feverish was talking about.. i'd say it made me a better person and seems to have done the same with him.. i've two younger brothers who he's yet to touch.. the bastard.. but i suppose i gave them beatings enough for the two of us :)

Unusual to say the least from where I come from.
I "fight" back enough to keep from being hit and I'm just a horribly bad kid that needs shipped of to a children's shelter. I wish I could have had that kind of a relationship. Hell I can't even verbally oppose when I don't think I deserve it.
Lol I was like 10 and I used my wrist to block the belt and it swung back and hit her. She blames me for a big bruise she got all on her arm from that.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:11:59 AM
At 9/17/2010 1:35:22 AM, FREEDO wrote:

obedient kids; positive.

I of course assume this a mild form of disciple (restrained amount of force from hand to butt; a belt, ect..). I admit their are lines that shouldn't be crossed. like the people that dip their kids feet in scolding hot water. messed up that is.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:16:51 AM
At 9/17/2010 9:11:59 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 9/17/2010 1:35:22 AM, FREEDO wrote:

obedient kids; positive.

Not always. I'd prefer for my kids to know what naturally happens if they do something I disprove of, rather than just obey and not learn. Might actually help them in life. Especially if they don'te to deal with abstract concepts their whole life about what would happen. I wouldn't make my kid clean their rot I wouldn't feel sorry if they lost something.

I of course assume this a mild form of disciple (restrained amount of force from hand to butt; a belt, ect..). I admit their are lines that shouldn't be crossed. like the people that dip their kids feet in scolding hot water. messed up that is.

Natural discipline teaches best. Others are okay sometimes, over thop are just wrong and need to be stopped.