Jump to topic:

Where would you be if...

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:12:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
... you lacked the principles you currently have? Basically, if you didn't live by philosophy X, what kind of person would you be? Example: supposing I wasn't an Objectivist, I think that my metaphysics would remain the same - maybe epistemology. I'd be an ethical nihilist, I wouldn't give a damn about politics, and esthetics... Well, I've never liked that anyway.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:19:07 PM
I'd be a nihilistic prostitute. I'd also kill small children because I hate them and they annoy me. Not sure if thats what you meant, but thats how I would be if I didn't hold my truths and morality. I also would have killed my mom, stepdad, and a whole school of people a couple years back.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:30:17 PM
At 9/17/2010 9:19:07 PM, lovelife wrote:
I'd be a nihilistic prostitute. I'd also kill small children because I hate them and they annoy me. Not sure if thats what you meant, but thats how I would be if I didn't hold my truths and morality. I also would have killed my mom, stepdad, and a whole school of people a couple years back.

Hmm, so why don't you? I have yet to hear you justify your ethical views.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:42:53 PM
At 9/17/2010 9:12:16 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
... you lacked the principles you currently have? Basically, if you didn't live by philosophy X, what kind of person would you be? Example: supposing I wasn't an Objectivist, I think that my metaphysics would remain the same - maybe epistemology. I'd be an ethical nihilist, I wouldn't give a damn about politics, and esthetics... Well, I've never liked that anyway.

uh... lost? i can't say any alternatives make much sense to me lol.... if they did i would probably hold different principles :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:47:27 PM
At 9/17/2010 9:30:17 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 9/17/2010 9:19:07 PM, lovelife wrote:

Hmm, so why don't you? I have yet to hear you justify your ethical views.

Just the way I veiw life and feel. I'm not sure what brought the change, but that was exactly me 2 years ago.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:49:58 PM
Might be that I realized that although there is no objective point infe, you only get one and best make the most of it. The rest comes from trying to make the most of it.
At that point I figured if I grew up I'd have likee to be a hitman.
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2010 9:50:04 PM
At 9/17/2010 9:42:53 PM, belle wrote:

uh... lost? i can't say any alternatives make much sense to me lol.... if they did i would probably hold different principles :P
This.
If I lacked the principles I currently have...
If major willpower is a principle, I'd be six feet under w/o it.
And if suicide was not an option, I'd be in a mental hospital.
I miss the old members.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 1:29:46 AM
I couldn't answer this question with any accuracy, because I am who I am because of the principals I currently adhere to. If I didn't have them I would have some other, Let's call it X, set of principals that would dictate my person. X principals could be any other than those I currently have and they would dictate my person.

I don't really understand the motivation for the question, or the point of asking it.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 2:06:18 AM
At 9/18/2010 1:29:46 AM, Korashk wrote:
I couldn't answer this question with any accuracy, because I am who I am because of the principals I currently adhere to. If I didn't have them I would have some other, Let's call it X, set of principals that would dictate my person. X principals could be any other than those I currently have and they would dictate my person.

I don't really understand the motivation for the question, or the point of asking it.

Precisely.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 2:14:06 AM
At 9/17/2010 9:42:53 PM, belle wrote:

Kind of like Belle. There's been a lot of trial and tremendously huge errors that have shaped my current way of being. I tossed out stuff that might have been fun, but long term really damaging. Like what atheism said, i would be most likely not alive if i didn't straighten up my act (so to speak) and re-evaluate my priorities and values.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 2:18:38 AM

If I lacked my current principles, I would be subservient to authority, I would live an inhibited life, I would lack any care for philosophy, and would probably live in fear.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 7:47:41 AM
I don't have academic ethical position, though I do have a strong sense of what is right and wrong. By my own standards I am pretty moral, if it were not for that I'd probably be a success.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 7:54:15 AM
At 9/18/2010 2:18:38 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If I lacked my current principles, I would be subservient to authority, I would live an inhibited life, I would lack any care for philosophy, and would probably live in fear.

So, no difference?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 7:57:17 AM
At 9/18/2010 7:54:15 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 9/18/2010 2:18:38 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

So, no difference?

arsey. but i lol'd
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2010 8:30:43 AM
At 9/18/2010 7:47:41 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I don't have academic ethical position, though I do have a strong sense of what is right and wrong. By my own standards I am pretty moral, if it were not for that I'd probably be a success.

Such a misunderstood word.