Jump to topic:

Rape Victims Should Not Be Allowed Abortions

SweetMeat1776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2015 3:18:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
I believe that abortion, in the entirety of its nature, should be illegal. Despite whether the pregnancy is intentional, unintentional, or even a result of sexual assault, I stand behind this statement. I understand the controversial perspectives that will ensue in response to the above mentioned claim; however, I will attempt to build a logical argument for my case. I am not pro-life for religious reasons; I am not pro-life for moral reasons; I am pro-life for logical and rational reasons.

My purpose here is not to make a generalized argument for pro-life; I would like to dive a little bit deeper, and argue against abortion, specifically for rape victims. To preface, I would like to disclose that I am a male in my mid-twenties. So I am quite aware of the rebuttals that may follow: "You"ve never had to deal with sexual assault," "It"s a woman"s choice," "You can"t even have an opinion on this matter." And to that I must say, that you are in many ways correct. There"s a high likelihood that I will not be sexual assaulted in my lifetime, and there is an extremely high likelihood that I will never be pregnant in my lifetime. But, I do have an opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion; so here it is.

I believe abortion, in general, is a heinous and illogical action, performed by selfish and irresponsible individuals. However, abortions performed on rape victims, cannot be lumped into this "selfish and irresponsible" categorization; simply, because they did not choose for this situation to happen. They were victims of an also heinous and illogical action. But the answer to rape, isn"t abortion. Rape victims suffer more than enough mental and physiological suffering. To proceed with an abortion shortly after a sexual assault, only adds more distress to the victims. A study of the medical records of 56,741 California Medicaid patients revealed that women who had abortions were 160 percent more likely than delivering women to be hospitalized for psychiatric treatment in the first 90 days following abortion or delivery. In a study of post-abortion patients only 8 weeks after their abortion, researchers found that 44% complained of nervous disorders, 36% had experienced sleep disturbances, 31% had regrets about their decision, and 11% had been prescribed psychotropic medicine by their family doctor. The psychological side-effects are real, and they are harmful. Not to mention the physical hardships encountered after an abortion.

A study of the entire population of women in Denmark published in 2012 had two key findings. The first found that the risk of death following abortion remains higher in each of the first ten years following the abortion. The second found that the risk of death increases with each abortion, 45% after one abortion, 114% after two abortions, and 192 percent after three or more abortions. Cancer risks are also extremely concerning as well. Women with a history of one abortion face a 2.3 times higher risk of having cervical cancer, compared to women with no history of abortion.

The statistics go on, and on. Abortion is an operation with high-risk side effects, and extreme results (i.e. termination of a fetal embryo). Deciding to abort is making a definitive choice, with non-reversible implications; unlike foster homes or adoption. And I"ve heard the argument countless times "the baby just reminds the mother of the sexual assault: it is the product of a terrible act." Yes, it may remind the mother of an awful moment. But the baby shouldn"t pay the price.

Would love to hear some feedback!
BluePaul96
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 3:48:57 PM
I'm glad that your opinion on the topic of abortion is the exact opinion that sets a fire inside of me. I'll give you a logical rebuttal after I get out what I really want to say to you. It's not a ridiculous argument to say that you know NOTHING of what it could be like to be in a situation where you are pregnant as a result of rape. Where your situation makes it so you wouldn't in any way shape or form be able to provide a healthy and financially stable environment for your baby to grow up.
I especially like where you say "I believe abortion, in general, is a heinous and illogical action, performed by selfish and irresponsible individuals." Yeah because terminating your pregnancy in a situation where the mothers life is at risk, and there is a strong possibility that the baby will come out disfigured or disabled and likely put up for adoption if the mother dies is irresponsible. The most ignorant thing you could do when preaching pro-life is dumping every possible abortion scenario in the same boat. There are ABSOLUTELY situations where the termination of a pregnancy is the morally viable alternative. Forget rich 16 year old white girls getting an abortion for their mistakes. I didn't look past you saying the same doesn't apply to rape victims. But for you do say that "Rape is always irresponsible" as an opening for this statement does no justice to what you're saying.

I don't see the big point you're trying to make with all the statistics you're throwing out there. You make it seem like its a wide known fact that all women who resort to abortion take pleasure in killing their unborn child. That they have experience euphoria from their blood lust after they do so. A lot of women who have abortions are in desperate situations, of COURSE they're going to have regrets about their decisions. There is absolutely no doubt about it, I would be bewildered if they went on merrily with their lives after ending the possibility of their child's lives. No one thinks this, I don't know what the point was to point this out.

Do you really think it is better to put these unwanted children up for adoption as opposed to aborting them? This little blue planet is RIFE with human life, it exists ubiquitously throughout the world. We barely have enough resources to take care of ourselves. If what you believe does come into fruition, and everyone puts their children up for adoption we'll have millions of orphans with no homes. It would be increasingly likely for orphans to live horrible, financially unstable lives. They will likely end up in homes where they are subject to physical, sexual, and emotional abuse. The positive effect of abortion being legal is that there aren't so many unwanted children being put up for adoption. We don't have the resources to take care of all these unwanted children, plain and simple. If you really practiced what you preach you would get the snip snip done on your family jewels and adopt children with your spouse.

Let's get into the morality of abortion itself. It absolutely is the woman's right. Until this child has a personality of its own and is not physiologically grafted to the mothers body. It is literally a part of the mother's body. Also aborting the child provides stem cells. Stem cell research could provide a way that terminated pregnancies, members of society who have provided nothing, can save the lives of functioning members of society who have proven their worth. Unless you're a Christ nut and believe that these fetuses have souls there is nothing morally wrong with terminating them. I read somewhere that the ending of a life can only be considered murder when an entity has a desire to live, and has a desire not to die. And that when we develop artificial intelligence when this artificial entity meets these guidelines, the intentional terminating of their consciousness is murder. Many vegetarians take this into account and eat clams and mussels because they have no desire to live. The unborn fetus has no desire to live and therefore whether it dies or not, it is indifferent to both options.

Also the making illegal of abortion would have the opposite effect that you're seeking. The prohibition of anything has proven time and time again to not work. I forget what state it was and what the video was called, but props to Vice for this information. I believe it is in like Alaska or something, alcohol is illegal. Yet percent-wise, there are so many more people dying of alcohol poisoning, so much more alcohol consumption than places elsewhere. Making abortion illegal will result in these women who unfortunately do not want children resorting to primitive and underground methods to terminate their pregnancy. We'll see a lot more children being born with disabilities and disfigurements, and a lot of more women dying from these new unsafe methods of having an abortion. At least with what we have now, women are provided a safe and sanitary environment in which they can have an abortion.

If a woman is raped, this child is a burden put on her by someone else. Based on the fact that the fetus is indifferent to whether or not it lives or dies, the fact that the stem cells from it can save the lives of others, the fact that this child might be a burden on society, the fact that this child will be a detriment to the woman's life financially, the fact that this child will be an emotional burden on the mother because of the means of it's conception. It is ABSOLUTELY okay for rape victims to have an abortion if that is what they wish.

I see absolutely no parts of your argument left that I haven't smashed to pieces. So that's my rant. And if you've read this far thank you, I appreciate it. Looking forward to your response.

-Paul Wilson
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2015 11:23:29 PM
At 10/15/2015 3:18:47 PM, SweetMeat1776 wrote:
I believe that abortion, in the entirety of its nature, should be illegal. Despite whether the pregnancy is intentional, unintentional, or even a result of sexual assault, I stand behind this statement. I understand the controversial perspectives that will ensue in response to the above mentioned claim; however, I will attempt to build a logical argument for my case. I am not pro-life for religious reasons; I am not pro-life for moral reasons; I am pro-life for logical and rational reasons.

My purpose here is not to make a generalized argument for pro-life; I would like to dive a little bit deeper, and argue against abortion, specifically for rape victims. To preface, I would like to disclose that I am a male in my mid-twenties. So I am quite aware of the rebuttals that may follow: "You"ve never had to deal with sexual assault," "It"s a woman"s choice," "You can"t even have an opinion on this matter." And to that I must say, that you are in many ways correct. There"s a high likelihood that I will not be sexual assaulted in my lifetime, and there is an extremely high likelihood that I will never be pregnant in my lifetime. But, I do have an opinion, and I am entitled to my opinion; so here it is.

I believe abortion, in general, is a heinous and illogical action, performed by selfish and irresponsible individuals. However, abortions performed on rape victims, cannot be lumped into this "selfish and irresponsible" categorization; simply, because they did not choose for this situation to happen. They were victims of an also heinous and illogical action. But the answer to rape, isn"t abortion. Rape victims suffer more than enough mental and physiological suffering. To proceed with an abortion shortly after a sexual assault, only adds more distress to the victims. A study of the medical records of 56,741 California Medicaid patients revealed that women who had abortions were 160 percent more likely than delivering women to be hospitalized for psychiatric treatment in the first 90 days following abortion or delivery. In a study of post-abortion patients only 8 weeks after their abortion, researchers found that 44% complained of nervous disorders, 36% had experienced sleep disturbances, 31% had regrets about their decision, and 11% had been prescribed psychotropic medicine by their family doctor. The psychological side-effects are real, and they are harmful. Not to mention the physical hardships encountered after an abortion.

A study of the entire population of women in Denmark published in 2012 had two key findings. The first found that the risk of death following abortion remains higher in each of the first ten years following the abortion. The second found that the risk of death increases with each abortion, 45% after one abortion, 114% after two abortions, and 192 percent after three or more abortions. Cancer risks are also extremely concerning as well. Women with a history of one abortion face a 2.3 times higher risk of having cervical cancer, compared to women with no history of abortion.

The statistics go on, and on. Abortion is an operation with high-risk side effects, and extreme results (i.e. termination of a fetal embryo). Deciding to abort is making a definitive choice, with non-reversible implications; unlike foster homes or adoption. And I"ve heard the argument countless times "the baby just reminds the mother of the sexual assault: it is the product of a terrible act." Yes, it may remind the mother of an awful moment. But the baby shouldn"t pay the price.

You're completely correct, though I think the moral argument is stronger. Some of the same statistics could apply to smoking.
beng100
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2015 10:29:01 PM

I completely disagree with your opinion. Why not allow a woman to decide if she wants to have a abortion or carry a baby forced onto her by an evil attacker? Possibly interrupting her career, potentially impacting her family. What if she is married? Why should that couple have to rear up the rapists child not their own? Ultimately an early stage foetus is a very low intelligence being that is of no value and has lower intelligence than a sheep or a cow. They are regularly killed and slaughtered, which I have no problem with so why should I give a foetus a right to life purely due to being a human?

Until the individual is significantly developed there is no reason to give it extensive rights. The priority should be the mother. She should decide if she wants to give birth to and rear a child. Adoption is a terrible option. Unless a child has a loving parent it will be subject to the horrors of the care home system and will in a majority of cases be bought up in an environment rife with sexual and physical abuse, crime and neglect. It's also worth noting it costs 200000 pounds a year in the UK to keep a child in care. Why carry an unwanted baby for 9 months anyway?

It is in my view entirely unreasonable for anybody to deny a rape victim an abortion. Their body their choice. The government has no right to deny this right and with respect neither does any individual. It is especially inconsiderate for a man to take up this viewpoint. Imagine the impact the enforced pregnancy would have on a woman. Imagine a 14 year old girl? A 28 year old mother of 2? A 35 year old career businesswoman? In every case it could ruin lives. Imagine the comments a woman receives about a pregnancy. Imagine explaining you were raped and you are being forced by the government to carry something forced upon you by an evil attacker? The pregnancy and the child would be horrible reminders of the attack.

It should also be considered the child has 50% of its fathers DNA. Potentially giving it some of its fathers traits. Personality, appearance etc. Could be negative in various ways. Also how does this child cope with the fact their existence was due to their mother being raped? Imagine the stigma and abuse they would face. The rape victim should not be punished for the actions of the rapists.
Rinn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 2:36:16 AM

Weeeeeellll, tbh, It doesn't really matter what you think. Opinions, believes, and religion, or what ever, need to be kept out of other peoples lives. You dont live their lives. They dont live yours. You dont want an abortion? Fine. Dont have one. That does NOT mean, however, that you get to decide for other women what they can or can not do.
I am in no way at all saying that I agreeing that abortion is right(But that is only my OPINON) Im simply saying, opinons do not matter when it comes to other humans choices. They have a right to choose what they do. Its not our choice, and when it comes down to it, it really does not matter if its illegal or not, it WILL still happen. Illegal abortions on the blackmarket, or with a coat hanger, it doesnt matter, the only difference at ALL would be the fact of wether or not its SAFE for the woman.

I respect the womans rights more that an unborn fetus. I value the life of a woman more than something that isnt even human yet. Sue me.
Rinn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 2:39:37 AM
At 10/20/2015 3:48:57 PM, BluePaul96 wrote:
I'm glad that your opinion on the topic of abortion is the exact opinion that sets a fire inside of me. I'll give you a logical rebuttal after I get out what I really want to say to you. It's not a ridiculous argument to say that you know NOTHING of what it could be like to be in a situation where you are pregnant as a result of rape. Where your situation makes it so you wouldn't in any way shape or form be able to provide a healthy and financially stable environment for your baby to grow up.
I especially like where you say "I believe abortion, in general, is a heinous and illogical action, performed by selfish and irresponsible individuals." Yeah because terminating your pregnancy in a situation where the mothers life is at risk, and there is a strong possibility that the baby will come out disfigured or disabled and likely put up for adoption if the mother dies is irresponsible. The most ignorant thing you could do when preaching pro-life is dumping every possible abortion scenario in the same boat. There are ABSOLUTELY situations where the termination of a pregnancy is the morally viable alternative. Forget rich 16 year old white girls getting an abortion for their mistakes. I didn't look past you saying the same doesn't apply to rape victims. But for you do say that "Rape is always irresponsible" as an opening for this statement does no justice to what you're saying.

I don't see the big point you're trying to make with all the statistics you're throwing out there. You make it seem like its a wide known fact that all women who resort to abortion take pleasure in killing their unborn child. That they have experience euphoria from their blood lust after they do so. A lot of women who have abortions are in desperate situations, of COURSE they're going to have regrets about their decisions. There is absolutely no doubt about it, I would be bewildered if they went on merrily with their lives after ending the possibility of their child's lives. No one thinks this, I don't know what the point was to point this out.

Do you really think it is better to put these unwanted children up for adoption as opposed to aborting them? This little blue planet is RIFE with human life, it exists ubiquitously throughout the world. We barely have enough resources to take care of ourselves. If what you believe does come into fruition, and everyone puts their children up for adoption we'll have millions of orphans with no homes. It would be increasingly likely for orphans to live horrible, financially unstable lives. They will likely end up in homes where they are subject to physical, sexual, and emotional abuse. The positive effect of abortion being legal is that there aren't so many unwanted children being put up for adoption. We don't have the resources to take care of all these unwanted children, plain and simple. If you really practiced what you preach you would get the snip snip done on your family jewels and adopt children with your spouse.

Let's get into the morality of abortion itself. It absolutely is the woman's right. Until this child has a personality of its own and is not physiologically grafted to the mothers body. It is literally a part of the mother's body. Also aborting the child provides stem cells. Stem cell research could provide a way that terminated pregnancies, members of society who have provided nothing, can save the lives of functioning members of society who have proven their worth. Unless you're a Christ nut and believe that these fetuses have souls there is nothing morally wrong with terminating them. I read somewhere that the ending of a life can only be considered murder when an entity has a desire to live, and has a desire not to die. And that when we develop artificial intelligence when this artificial entity meets these guidelines, the intentional terminating of their consciousness is murder. Many vegetarians take this into account and eat clams and mussels because they have no desire to live. The unborn fetus has no desire to live and therefore whether it dies or not, it is indifferent to both options.

Also the making illegal of abortion would have the opposite effect that you're seeking. The prohibition of anything has proven time and time again to not work. I forget what state it was and what the video was called, but props to Vice for this information. I believe it is in like Alaska or something, alcohol is illegal. Yet percent-wise, there are so many more people dying of alcohol poisoning, so much more alcohol consumption than places elsewhere. Making abortion illegal will result in these women who unfortunately do not want children resorting to primitive and underground methods to terminate their pregnancy. We'll see a lot more children being born with disabilities and disfigurements, and a lot of more women dying from these new unsafe methods of having an abortion. At least with what we have now, women are provided a safe and sanitary environment in which they can have an abortion.

If a woman is raped, this child is a burden put on her by someone else. Based on the fact that the fetus is indifferent to whether or not it lives or dies, the fact that the stem cells from it can save the lives of others, the fact that this child might be a burden on society, the fact that this child will be a detriment to the woman's life financially, the fact that this child will be an emotional burden on the mother because of the means of it's conception. It is ABSOLUTELY okay for rape victims to have an abortion if that is what they wish.

I see absolutely no parts of your argument left that I haven't smashed to pieces. So that's my rant. And if you've read this far thank you, I appreciate it. Looking forward to your response.

-Paul Wilson

This.
This.
This this this this
thisthisthisthis THIS
I give you an applaud, my friend, for being awesome. Good job ;)
(And NO, this is not sarcastic)
Rinn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2015 2:48:05 AM
Thogugh, even threwout what Ive said, if I were a rap victim, I WOULD get an abortion. There is NO WAY any dumbass can control what I do. I dont want my life to be ruined because of an evil horny bastard.
If you think a rape victim should have no choice but to go threw with it, then you are just as bad as the rapeist. Thinking that the woman shouldnt have a choice. Its ignorant, and stupid as - well Id say it, but apparently "Profanities are not allowed in the forums." -_-
Anyways, with that said, stop being ignorant. As I have stated MANY time before, opinions do NOT get a say in what a person can to with their life. If it did, then Id have you go get raped for a few hours/days, be mentaly and emotionaly scared, then be told what to do by other people, and ultamantly be FORCED to cary out the pregnancy, 9 months of pain, and HOURS and HOURS of agony to you, to ruin you emotionaly, mentaly, AND physically. Mostly emotionaly. And be forced to put yourself in someone elses shoes for once.. But my opinons do not mater AT ALL in your life. I cant control you.
And YOU can NOT control other people.
End. Of. Argument.
Because your argument is 100% invalid. (And guess what? Thats MY opinon! Other people might be stupid enough to agree with you, but THAT is my point! Opinions. Do.Not.MATTER.