Jump to topic:

Change Our Specie Name

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 8:16:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Our species should change its name, since homo sapiens means wise man (knowing man) and humans are for the most part dumb a-holes shouldn't we change our species name? I want your opinions.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 9:49:36 AM
Compared to all other species who have ever lived, humans are not dumb at all. We are the most intelligent specie to exist on Earth to date (barring some huge archaeological finding).
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:18:28 PM
At 9/19/2010 9:49:36 AM, JBlake wrote:
Compared to all other species who have ever lived, humans are not dumb at all. We are the most intelligent specie to exist on Earth to date (barring some huge archaeological finding).

That said, it is not saying much.
I miss the old members.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:22:47 PM
At 9/19/2010 4:18:28 PM, Atheism wrote:

That said, it is not saying much.

The fact that we don't possess knowledge of every aspect of the universe in no way means that we're dumb.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:22:48 PM

We're highly adaptive and somewhat intelligent, but not certainly not wise. I don't think we should change the species name, but the OP has a point.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:24:13 PM
At 9/19/2010 4:22:48 PM, tvellalott wrote:

We're highly adaptive and somewhat intelligent, but not certainly not wise. I don't think we should change the species name, but the OP has a point.

Define "wise".
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:27:38 PM
At 9/19/2010 4:24:13 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Define "wise".

1. Having the ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; sagacious
2. Exhibiting common sense; prudent
3. Having great learning; erudite.

I'd say a huge, huge majority of humans are none of these things.

Muh threads
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:33:43 PM
At 9/19/2010 4:27:38 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Define "wise".

1. Having the ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; sagacious

I tend to define a species by what it can do--not by that to which the majority of its members resign themselves. :P
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:51:18 PM
At 9/19/2010 4:33:43 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Define "wise".

I tend to define a species by what it can do--not by that to which the majority of its members resign themselves. :P

So you would define all domesticated dogs as child maulers?

Muh threads
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 4:57:25 PM

Define "wise".

But the majority of humans do have these characteristics... You have to compare the humanity as a whole to the other species of the world. There is no comparison - we are by far the wisest, even with your definition.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2010 5:09:43 PM
At 9/19/2010 4:57:25 PM, JBlake wrote:
But the majority of humans do have these characteristics... You have to compare the humanity as a whole to the other species of the world. There is no comparison - we are by far the wisest, even with your definition.

The problem is that we are far too industrious and it seems to be leading inevitably towards self destruction. That doesn't seem to be indicitive of wisdom.
If human beings had never came along, the Earth would likely be a paradise.

Muh threads
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2010 7:20:08 AM
At 9/19/2010 5:09:43 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 9/19/2010 4:57:25 PM, JBlake wrote:

The problem is that we are far too industrious and it seems to be leading inevitably towards self destruction. That doesn't seem to be indicitive of wisdom.
If human beings had never came along, the Earth would likely be a paradise.

yeah maybe, but then where is the fun in that?