Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Is there such thing as a good or an evil?

ryanbriggs04
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2015 3:47:56 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Scott Peck used to collect religious jokes and this was one of his favorites. Chatting in Hell were a Catholic priest, a Jewish rabbi, and a New Age minister. Why were they down there? "Back on earth I was a whiskey priest," the Catholic says. "I loved the booze more than anything." The rabbi pipes up, "It was ham sandwiches that did for me. I just couldn't leave them alone." They both turn to the New Age minister and ask why he's in Hell. "This isn't Hell," he replies huffily, "and I'm not the least bit warm."

Peck's serious point was that the problem with the New Age movement and prevailing attitudes today was the denial, not so much of Hell, as of the existence of evil. Peck believed that evil was an ever-present part of life and he marshalled some good evidence for that view. But I think the hardest issue for a thinking person to decide today is whether good and evil really exist at all, as a force outside (as well as within) humanity. For me that is a much harder question, and a more important one, than whether God exists. The question also, I believe, has vital implications for how we live our lives and even for how we run our businesses.
fromantle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2015 2:43:11 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
'Human evil is a natural phenomenon , and some level of predatory violence is innate in us'. Sam Harris famous atheist and neuroscientist.
Like many in the scientific community he believes we carry a large evolutionary baggage i. our genetics.
We could argue the case that since we are our genes and upbringing we are not to blame for our actions. This does not get us off the hook since civilised society expects better things from us.
Sam suggests that without religion well- being may be a good yardstick to judge good actions from bad ones.
It is a very knotty problem.