Jump to topic:

Vampire the Masquerade RPG

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 1:12:55 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have been mulling over the idea of starting a game based loosely on Vampire the Masquerade on this forum. For those who don't know VTM was a rather enjoyable RPG that for a brief time really captured the essence of the modern vampire one part Bram Stoker, one part Anne Rice. A creature terrible, monstrous and at the same time very human, and very tortured. (Of course now instead of awesome beings cursed to drink the blood of the living we have whiney emo's cursed to date waif-like teenage girls, but lets ignore those).

Anyway, no rules knowledge will be required. Prospective players will get a simple guide as to how to make a character. Gameplay will be conducted via narrative and description. The characters will begin as humans, only to find themselves suddenly thrust into the world of the undead without explanation. The game will focus on the issues of survival, learning more of the nature of vampiric existence, coming to terms with such existence, the presevation of your humanity... or conversely the full acceptance of your vampiric state. In short, violence, blood and ignorance.

Experienced players are to be advised that this setting is merely inspired by VTM, requests to play specific clans will be ignored. In addition game will not really begin until I have at least made a start on my two still pending debate challenges.

No more than six players.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 1:19:38 AM
Forgot to add, prospective players should also state what time period they would like to begin in. I will oversimplify the choices to.

1: Post Roman.
2: Middle ages.
3: Renaisance.
4: Industrial Revolution.
5: Victorian.
6: Pre Great War.
7: During Great War.
8: Interwar years.
9: Second World War.
10: Sometime post war.
11: Modern Day.

Game will mostly likely be set in Britain, or at least with predominately British characters. But that may change without notice.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 1:34:56 AM
At 10/9/2010 1:31:09 AM, Puck wrote:
Post Roman where? :P

Britain most likely, though Rome itself would be cool.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:24:27 AM
At 10/9/2010 9:26:16 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Put me down. Will it be like Ragnars RPG?

In a sense yes. What period?
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:32:55 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:24:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Well, given the storyline revolves around the undead, I'm drawn towards Victorian, or Middle Ages.

When you say Victorian, what type of tech. would we be talking about? What type of weaponry?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:43:10 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:32:55 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/9/2010 11:24:27 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Well, given the storyline revolves around the undead, I'm drawn towards Victorian, or Middle Ages.

When you say Victorian, what type of tech. would we be talking about? What type of weaponry?

Well you have guns, trains, no planes, gaslights... it's the era of a picture of Dorian Gray, Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:44:35 AM
1: Panda (Victorian/Medieval).
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:47:26 AM
this during or after my RPG?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:50:47 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:47:26 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I was thinking during, but if its easier I could delay the start.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 4:55:17 PM
At 10/9/2010 11:50:47 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It's up to you, it is simply the case that:

if during, I cannot play
if after i can. :P
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:19:59 PM
At 10/9/2010 4:55:17 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

if during, I cannot play

Well I'd like to have you in there, so I'll say after. If it's not too impertinent to ask how long do you think your campaign will last?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2010 11:25:18 PM
2: Puck (Victorian)
3: Ragnar?
4: twsurber (postwar)
5: Bellum (Modern)
6:
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 1:26:54 PM
All I need is a time period vote from Ragnar, maybe another player. Shortly after that I can send out character creation stuff.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 2:06:08 PM
What the hey, sign me up.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2010 11:47:35 PM
At 10/11/2010 2:06:08 PM, Korashk wrote:
What the hey, sign me up.

Time period vote?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 12:07:03 AM
2: Puck (Victorian)
3: Ragnar?
4: twsurber (postwar)
5: Bellum (Modern)
6: Korashk?

If Ragnar and Korashk have no specific vote I might go for victorian, its a good period.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 12:09:28 AM
At 10/9/2010 11:19:59 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

if during, I cannot play

Well I'd like to have you in there, so I'll say after. If it's not too impertinent to ask how long do you think your campaign will last?

You have more power over that than I do really. Ya know you've got a king to kill, just got to take a boatride to get there. You know he's ruled by a dragon. The hierarchy doesn't go far beyond that. ^_^
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 12:09:59 AM
and yeah I don't care about internal game time period :P
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 12:17:47 AM
At 10/12/2010 12:09:28 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 10/9/2010 11:19:59 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

if during, I cannot play

You have more power over that than I do really. Ya know you've got a king to kill, just got to take a boatride to get there. You know he's ruled by a dragon. The hierarchy doesn't go far beyond that. ^_^

Hmmm well I am in no rush!

PS: Might set the vampire game in the USA, not sure.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 6:32:01 PM
Assuming VtM is roughly a cooperative game, I should probably wait to stat up my character till I've seen what sorts of characters it'll have to synergize with.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2010 6:33:49 PM
At 10/12/2010 6:32:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Assuming VtM is roughly a cooperative game, I should probably wait to stat up my character till I've seen what sorts of characters it'll have to synergize with.

You could do that, to be honest though there is a good chance everyone will fill some sort of niche.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2010 12:42:44 AM
I believe we have three completed characters thus far, with a range of abilities between them. So people are pretty much free to let their concept dictate what sort of character they have.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2010 9:44:30 AM
Without spoiling peoples 'mystery' we thus far have.

A doctor.
A private investigator.
An ex-army adventurer.
Some sort of undefined rogue.