Jump to topic:

Scholarly papers

SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 6:35:06 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
I have seen some YouTubers (thunderf00t and king crocoduck for example) use a site where you can look at how many peer-reviewed papers someone has written, how many times their work has been cited, etc. The thing is, neither of them said what the site it called. I am interested in checking the site out, but I do not know what it is. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be?
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 10:30:49 AM
Just btw, this 'tenseless cosmological argument' you claim as your own has been around for quite a while. David Hume's case against the causal principle for example. Often proponents of this argument will call it the objection from 'B-Theory of time.' or something similar. If you want a counter argument to your choice of wording, here's one:

P1. Relative to the observer, all states of existence of the universe occur in discrete 'events.'
P2. There exists a state of the universe relative to the observer that caused all other states.
D1. This event is a primary causation event.
C1: The universe was caused in a singular discrete event, relative to the observer.

At any rate, the argument is prima-facie suspect. We use temporal logic as a system that provides formal verification for things that exist, such as it's application in computer science. Objecting to a system as empirically grounded as this puts your beliefs at odds with science.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 2:29:54 PM
At 12/16/2015 6:35:06 AM, SNP1 wrote:
I have seen some YouTubers (thunderf00t and king crocoduck for example) use a site where you can look at how many peer-reviewed papers someone has written, how many times their work has been cited, etc. The thing is, neither of them said what the site it called. I am interested in checking the site out, but I do not know what it is. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be?

This whole publish or parish paradigm needs to stop. It's why we have so much useless crap out there, instead of focusing on actually making contributions to the scientific community
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 5:00:25 PM
At 12/16/2015 10:30:49 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Just btw, this 'tenseless cosmological argument' you claim as your own has been around for quite a while. David Hume's case against the causal principle for example. Often proponents of this argument will call it the objection from 'B-Theory of time.' or something similar. If you want a counter argument to your choice of wording, here's one:

P1. Relative to the observer, all states of existence of the universe occur in discrete 'events.'
P2. There exists a state of the universe relative to the observer that caused all other states.
C1: The universe was caused in a singular discrete event, relative to the observer.

At any rate, the argument is prima-facie suspect. We use temporal logic as a system that provides formal verification for things that exist, such as it's application in computer science. Objecting to a system as empirically grounded as this puts your beliefs at odds with science.

Actually, science does not require for tensed facts to exist (mine is slightly different than those that have been around for a while).
In fact, science doesn't even require for a flow of time to be actual.

How science works is by looking at the state of affairs at t=1 and t=2 and determining how they could be related. This does not require tensed facts, and is in fact sometimes used as an argument for the B-Theory of Time.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2015 9:15:41 PM
At 12/16/2015 5:00:25 PM, SNP1 wrote:
At 12/16/2015 10:30:49 AM, Smithereens wrote:

Actually, science does not require for tensed facts to exist (mine is slightly different than those that have been around for a while).
In fact, science doesn't even require for a flow of time to be actual.

How science works is by looking at the state of affairs at t=1 and t=2 and determining how they could be related. This does not require tensed facts, and is in fact sometimes used as an argument for the B-Theory of Time.

I wasn't talking about science. I was talking about temporal logic. Temporal logic is an extremely effective method of inquiry. The predictions made under this system follow axioms that create valid and consistent conclusions. Without this system we wouldn't really be the advanced civilisation we are today, given we use this for most computing related logic problems. To say this system is invalid is like attributing all our scientific progression to a god or something. And yes, this system is invalid under your definition of time.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...