Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

PLEASE stop using the term "OCD" casually?

Fanny
Posts: 31
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2015 3:20:25 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
Please stop saying "I'm so OCD" at this just because you're clean and tidy, or you like to arrange things a certain way. Yes, a person with OCD may wash their hands constantly, or re lock their doors a few times so no one breaks in. The difference is people with OCD find these obsessions and compulsions distressing and unwelcome, and they cause an IMPAIRMENT in day to day functioning. A person may be late for work all the time because they constantly have the urge to check if they locked the door. Consequently they will lose their job. Symptoms of OCD included unwanted thoughts of you committing a crime or hurting others. This can be distressing to the person experiencing them, and makes you avoid responsibilities. OCD is a mental illness people struggle with. So if you say "I'm OCD", you're saying "I'm mentally ill". So please don't say you're OCD unless you have the condition in a clinical sense.
Midnight1131
Posts: 1,643
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 12:54:47 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/21/2015 3:20:25 PM, Fanny wrote:
Please stop saying "I'm so OCD" at this just because you're clean and tidy, or you like to arrange things a certain way. Yes, a person with OCD may wash their hands constantly, or re lock their doors a few times so no one breaks in. The difference is people with OCD find these obsessions and compulsions distressing and unwelcome, and they cause an IMPAIRMENT in day to day functioning. A person may be late for work all the time because they constantly have the urge to check if they locked the door. Consequently they will lose their job. Symptoms of OCD included unwanted thoughts of you committing a crime or hurting others. This can be distressing to the person experiencing them, and makes you avoid responsibilities. OCD is a mental illness people struggle with. So if you say "I'm OCD", you're saying "I'm mentally ill". So please don't say you're OCD unless you have the condition in a clinical sense.

+1
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2015 7:28:53 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/21/2015 3:20:25 PM, Fanny wrote:
Please stop saying "I'm so OCD" at this just because you're clean and tidy, or you like to arrange things a certain way. Yes, a person with OCD may wash their hands constantly, or re lock their doors a few times so no one breaks in. The difference is people with OCD find these obsessions and compulsions distressing and unwelcome, and they cause an IMPAIRMENT in day to day functioning. A person may be late for work all the time because they constantly have the urge to check if they locked the door. Consequently they will lose their job. Symptoms of OCD included unwanted thoughts of you committing a crime or hurting others. This can be distressing to the person experiencing them, and makes you avoid responsibilities. OCD is a mental illness people struggle with. So if you say "I'm OCD", you're saying "I'm mentally ill". So please don't say you're OCD unless you have the condition in a clinical sense.

too long couldnt read it I must be OCD
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
TheProphett
Posts: 520
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 12:50:05 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/21/2015 3:20:25 PM, Fanny wrote:
Please stop saying "I'm so OCD" at this just because you're clean and tidy, or you like to arrange things a certain way. Yes, a person with OCD may wash their hands constantly, or re lock their doors a few times so no one breaks in. The difference is people with OCD find these obsessions and compulsions distressing and unwelcome, and they cause an IMPAIRMENT in day to day functioning. A person may be late for work all the time because they constantly have the urge to check if they locked the door. Consequently they will lose their job. Symptoms of OCD included unwanted thoughts of you committing a crime or hurting others. This can be distressing to the person experiencing them, and makes you avoid responsibilities. OCD is a mental illness people struggle with. So if you say "I'm OCD", you're saying "I'm mentally ill". So please don't say you're OCD unless you have the condition in a clinical sense.

Your underlining is not evenly spaced, I suggest you fix it.
Topics I would like to debate: https://docs.google.com...

Epic Quotes:

She's a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater - Austin Powers


Economic Forum Revival Co-Leader

If you are interested in starting a political journal for the site, please contact me.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?
spacetime
Posts: 449
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:24:34 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Yes.
Call me King Pootie Tang.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 8:28:47 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 8:24:34 PM, spacetime wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Yes.

Fair enough. You may do as you please, but do understand why some people will be upset when doing so.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:52:12 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Not unless I'm with a large group of people who believe it's wrong to use the word. Otherwise yes.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:54:14 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 11:52:12 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Not unless I'm with a large group of people who believe it's wrong to use the word. Otherwise yes.

I simply say the same thing to you. Don't be surprised that some people are offended by this casual usage.
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:55:01 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 11:52:12 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Not unless I'm with a large group of people who believe it's wrong to use the word. Otherwise yes.

How about "gay". That's so "gay?". Do you use that?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2015 11:56:27 PM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 11:55:01 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:52:12 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Not unless I'm with a large group of people who believe it's wrong to use the word. Otherwise yes.

How about "gay". That's so "gay?". Do you use that?

Not really.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:02:14 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/29/2015 11:56:27 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:55:01 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:52:12 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Not unless I'm with a large group of people who believe it's wrong to use the word. Otherwise yes.

How about "gay". That's so "gay?". Do you use that?

Not really.

Why? Why not?
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:02:50 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/28/2015 12:54:47 AM, Midnight1131 wrote:
At 12/21/2015 3:20:25 PM, Fanny wrote:
Please stop saying "I'm so OCD" at this just because you're clean and tidy, or you like to arrange things a certain way. Yes, a person with OCD may wash their hands constantly, or re lock their doors a few times so no one breaks in. The difference is people with OCD find these obsessions and compulsions distressing and unwelcome, and they cause an IMPAIRMENT in day to day functioning. A person may be late for work all the time because they constantly have the urge to check if they locked the door. Consequently they will lose their job. Symptoms of OCD included unwanted thoughts of you committing a crime or hurting others. This can be distressing to the person experiencing them, and makes you avoid responsibilities. OCD is a mental illness people struggle with. So if you say "I'm OCD", you're saying "I'm mentally ill". So please don't say you're OCD unless you have the condition in a clinical sense.

+1
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:03:37 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:02:14 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:56:27 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:55:01 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:52:12 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Not unless I'm with a large group of people who believe it's wrong to use the word. Otherwise yes.

How about "gay". That's so "gay?". Do you use that?

Not really.

Why? Why not?

I've just never used it before? Why would I care what terms I use for exaggeration?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:07:29 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:03:37 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:02:14 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:56:27 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:55:01 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 11:52:12 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/29/2015 8:22:06 PM, TBR wrote:
At 12/29/2015 12:55:22 AM, Smithereens wrote:
We use 'OCD' casually as a form of exaggeration. When I come home from a big day, I could say "Oh I'm dead." Or when someone is sick you might jokingly 'avoid them like the plague.' It's all a normal part of language.

Do you use retarded casually?

Not unless I'm with a large group of people who believe it's wrong to use the word. Otherwise yes.

How about "gay". That's so "gay?". Do you use that?

Not really.

Why? Why not?

I've just never used it before? Why would I care what terms I use for exaggeration?

You don't have to. There is no reason to not be a jerk, but when someone says you are being a jerk, its not like you are unaware of why they would say that, right?

You don't have to feel terrible about being a jerk. I am often a jerk. It can be a choice like much else.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:12:12 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:07:29 AM, TBR wrote:
You don't have to. There is no reason to not be a jerk, but when someone says you are being a jerk, its not like you are unaware of why they would say that, right?

You don't have to feel terrible about being a jerk. I am often a jerk. It can be a choice like much else.

I don't know what country you come from, But in Australia every second word is a fvcking swear word. Nobody think cvnts that swear are jerks or some fvcked up sh1t like that, but I go out of my way to keep it clean on the forums. I don't use 'gay' or 'retarded' because those words are really soft and would be more expected from a 5 year old.

I also understand when someone gets offended by them, hence why I don't use certain words around certain people; or if they should know better, I tell them to not read too deeply into it.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:15:02 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:12:12 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:07:29 AM, TBR wrote:
You don't have to. There is no reason to not be a jerk, but when someone says you are being a jerk, its not like you are unaware of why they would say that, right?

You don't have to feel terrible about being a jerk. I am often a jerk. It can be a choice like much else.

I don't know what country you come from, But in Australia every second word is a fvcking swear word. Nobody think cvnts that swear are jerks or some fvcked up sh1t like that, but I go out of my way to keep it clean on the forums. I don't use 'gay' or 'retarded' because those words are really soft and would be more expected from a 5 year old.

I also understand when someone gets offended by them, hence why I don't use certain words around certain people; or if they should know better, I tell them to not read too deeply into it.

I have no issue with swearing. Now, many people are unhappy with terms like retarded, gay, and in this case OCD. I have no problem with not using these words, so I don't. As I said, if you choose to use them, and you upset someone (intentionally or not) you can't say you had no idea. You simply have to accept that you knew and didn't care.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:24:31 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:15:02 AM, TBR wrote:
I have no issue with swearing. Now, many people are unhappy with terms like retarded, gay, and in this case OCD. I have no problem with not using these words, so I don't. As I said, if you choose to use them, and you upset someone (intentionally or not) you can't say you had no idea. You simply have to accept that you knew and didn't care.

This misrepresents my argument. I replied to the OP to say that what she took offense to was not a willful malicious attempt to upset her, but instead a normal facet of language. And this is true, so I don't see what you're arguing against.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:28:48 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:24:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:15:02 AM, TBR wrote:
I have no issue with swearing. Now, many people are unhappy with terms like retarded, gay, and in this case OCD. I have no problem with not using these words, so I don't. As I said, if you choose to use them, and you upset someone (intentionally or not) you can't say you had no idea. You simply have to accept that you knew and didn't care.

This misrepresents my argument. I replied to the OP to say that what she took offense to was not a willful malicious attempt to upset her, but instead a normal facet of language. And this is true, so I don't see what you're arguing against.

She is telling you, people with the condition dislike the "Just my OCD kicking in. giggle giggle". Are you missing that? What to you not understand? That sort of minimizing of an actual problem for many people is insulting.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:32:18 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:28:48 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:24:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:15:02 AM, TBR wrote:
I have no issue with swearing. Now, many people are unhappy with terms like retarded, gay, and in this case OCD. I have no problem with not using these words, so I don't. As I said, if you choose to use them, and you upset someone (intentionally or not) you can't say you had no idea. You simply have to accept that you knew and didn't care.

This misrepresents my argument. I replied to the OP to say that what she took offense to was not a willful malicious attempt to upset her, but instead a normal facet of language. And this is true, so I don't see what you're arguing against.

She is telling you, people with the condition dislike the "Just my OCD kicking in. giggle giggle". Are you missing that? What to you not understand? That sort of minimizing of an actual problem for many people is insulting.

I perfectly understand what she is saying. However it's the logical equivalent of taking offense at the table manners of polynesians. It is not true that people with OCD categorically take offense at any mention to OCD, it is a minority that take offense. Telling the majority to change their ways to suit them when they aren't biologically compelled to take offense is what is offensive.

You presumably don't go telling gays to not hold hands in public because you are straight, and I don't go around telling people not to use the word OCD because I am OCD. The offense taken is not grounded and not compelling.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:32:18 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:28:48 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:24:31 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:15:02 AM, TBR wrote:
I have no issue with swearing. Now, many people are unhappy with terms like retarded, gay, and in this case OCD. I have no problem with not using these words, so I don't. As I said, if you choose to use them, and you upset someone (intentionally or not) you can't say you had no idea. You simply have to accept that you knew and didn't care.

This misrepresents my argument. I replied to the OP to say that what she took offense to was not a willful malicious attempt to upset her, but instead a normal facet of language. And this is true, so I don't see what you're arguing against.

She is telling you, people with the condition dislike the "Just my OCD kicking in. giggle giggle". Are you missing that? What to you not understand? That sort of minimizing of an actual problem for many people is insulting.

I perfectly understand what she is saying. However it's the logical equivalent of taking offense at the table manners of polynesians. It is not true that people with OCD categorically take offense at any mention to OCD, it is a minority that take offense. Telling the majority to change their ways to suit them when they aren't biologically compelled to take offense is what is offensive.

You presumably don't go telling gays to not hold hands in public because you are straight, and I don't go around telling people not to use the word OCD because I am OCD. The offense taken is not grounded and not compelling.

You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".

I have no idea where you are going with the gay people holding hands. What I can say is, you have at least one, the OP, who dislikes it, and another, me, that finds it annoying at best.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:42:23 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".
Yes we do know this. People who take offense to casual use of a word that they are insecure about are exclusively neurotic personality types. This personality type is a small minority of any given population.

I have no idea where you are going with the gay people holding hands. What I can say is, you have at least one, the OP, who dislikes it, and another, me, that finds it annoying at best.
When I say gays, I compare the situation like this:
The OP is an OCD who believes that people without OCD should not flippantly use the word OCD, as that should only be okay for OCD's themselves.
Person A is a straight person who believes that people who aren't straight should not hold hands in public, as that should only be okay for straight couples themselves.

The principle is identical. Taking offense to something that the majority find perfectly normal on the account of your own personal choices (re: she isn't biologically compelled to take offense) is homophobic, or in this case just plain offensive.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:43:56 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
It was my orginal argument that when the OP said that saying OCD was effectively saying "you're mentally ill." She was bluntly incorrect, as nobody means 'you're mentally ill' when they say 'I/he/she/they is/are OCD.'
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:46:48 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:42:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".
Yes we do know this. People who take offense to casual use of a word that they are insecure about are exclusively neurotic personality types. This personality type is a small minority of any given population.
I see. I have no problem just calling you a jerk at this point.


I have no idea where you are going with the gay people holding hands. What I can say is, you have at least one, the OP, who dislikes it, and another, me, that finds it annoying at best.
When I say gays, I compare the situation like this:
The OP is an OCD who believes that people without OCD should not flippantly use the word OCD, as that should only be okay for OCD's themselves.
Person A is a straight person who believes that people who aren't straight should not hold hands in public, as that should only be okay for straight couples themselves.

The principle is identical. Taking offense to something that the majority find perfectly normal on the account of your own personal choices (re: she isn't biologically compelled to take offense) is homophobic, or in this case just plain offensive.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:47:56 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:46:48 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:42:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".
Yes we do know this. People who take offense to casual use of a word that they are insecure about are exclusively neurotic personality types. This personality type is a small minority of any given population.
I see. I have no problem just calling you a jerk at this point.
I use the clinical sense of the words, not whatever implications that you drew that I may be unaware of.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:51:31 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:47:56 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:46:48 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:42:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".
Yes we do know this. People who take offense to casual use of a word that they are insecure about are exclusively neurotic personality types. This personality type is a small minority of any given population.
I see. I have no problem just calling you a jerk at this point.
I use the clinical sense of the words, not whatever implications that you drew that I may be unaware of.

Yea, I think it is clear to me. You are a jerk. Good to know.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 12:57:49 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:51:31 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:47:56 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:46:48 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:42:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".
Yes we do know this. People who take offense to casual use of a word that they are insecure about are exclusively neurotic personality types. This personality type is a small minority of any given population.
I see. I have no problem just calling you a jerk at this point.
I use the clinical sense of the words, not whatever implications that you drew that I may be unaware of.

Yea, I think it is clear to me. You are a jerk. Good to know.

Is that just what you say when you are unable to refute something reasonable? There's nothing jerk worthy there.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Posts: 9,991
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 1:09:41 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 12:57:49 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:51:31 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:47:56 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:46:48 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:42:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".
Yes we do know this. People who take offense to casual use of a word that they are insecure about are exclusively neurotic personality types. This personality type is a small minority of any given population.
I see. I have no problem just calling you a jerk at this point.
I use the clinical sense of the words, not whatever implications that you drew that I may be unaware of.

Yea, I think it is clear to me. You are a jerk. Good to know.

Is that just what you say when you are unable to refute something reasonable? There's nothing jerk worthy there.

Yea, no. It is what I say when someone is a jerk.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2015 1:11:01 AM
Posted: 11 months ago
At 12/30/2015 1:09:41 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:57:49 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:51:31 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:47:56 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:46:48 AM, TBR wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:42:23 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 12/30/2015 12:36:31 AM, TBR wrote:
You can't know it is the minority that take offense. You may be able to say some don't, but I doubt you can find a good source to say "most".
Yes we do know this. People who take offense to casual use of a word that they are insecure about are exclusively neurotic personality types. This personality type is a small minority of any given population.
I see. I have no problem just calling you a jerk at this point.
I use the clinical sense of the words, not whatever implications that you drew that I may be unaware of.

Yea, I think it is clear to me. You are a jerk. Good to know.

Is that just what you say when you are unable to refute something reasonable? There's nothing jerk worthy there.

Yea, no. It is what I say when someone is a jerk.

I'll remember to avoid refuting your arguments too thoroughly in future then. Wouldn't want to be a jerk!
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...