what is your take on...

gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2010 10:28:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
crackers?

So here's the list i've compiled about why i should NOT burst crackers this diwali (a Hindu festival), against my will, i might add.
http://answers.yahoo.com...

POLLUTION: self explanatory
CRACKERS ARE EXPENSIVE: the most basic cracker equals the cost of a top or shirt or whatever.
CHILD LABOUR: crackers are manufactured by village children, and are paid unsatisfactorily.

But this has been going around my mind for quite a time. They are expensive, but father's got a promotion, so we may celebrate, and child labour: well, what exactly will 1 person not buying crackers achieve? i mean, practically, its a loss for everyone. And pollution, its just 1 day, why not celebrate?

What do you think? What is your stand on the issue?
wush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 12:17:53 AM
fire crackers are quite cool
child labour-sure one person can not make a difference alone but you are not the only person who will decide not to use crackers and it all adds up. and you can lead by example, one of the reasons many people use these firecrackers is not just because they are entertaining but because it has become a social custom. If one person decides to break the trend then its more likely that other will not use firecrackers
as for pollution, i guess its ok as long as you clean up afterwards and most of the residue would be paper which is ok i guess.
BE HAPPY!! =D
you are beautiful, don't let anyone tell you you're not
you're 100X more beautiful when you smile, not that you need it
gerrandesquire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 1:55:06 AM
At 10/15/2010 12:17:53 AM, wush wrote:
fire crackers are quite cool

That they are.

child labour-sure one person can not make a difference alone but you are not the only person who will decide not to use crackers and it all adds up. and you can lead by example, one of the reasons many people use these firecrackers is not just because they are entertaining but because it has become a social custom. If one person decides to break the trend then its more likely that other will not use firecrackers.

yeah, but what does refusing to burst crackers actually achieve? I mean, its just wasting the efforts of the children. Isn't it? Strengthening the laws will help, i suppose...

as for pollution, i guess its ok as long as you clean up afterwards and most of the residue would be paper which is ok i guess.

I was more concerned about the air pollution. The residue is cleaned up by the sweepers specially paid by the government for the occasion. Though if you think about it, If people stopped burning crackers, the extra income will go down, and employment will, too. So if we look at it from his angle, we are actually helping a lot of people by bursting crackers.
isn't it?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2010 2:04:47 AM
Almost everything you buy is made with the blood of someone or harms the planet in some way. Coco cola uses death squads, shell hires mercenaries. You probably have half a dozen things made with child labour in your room right now.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.