Total Posts:33|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Random Pet Peeves in Writing

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
Here are some of those things that most drive me crazy when reading other people's writing:

Fewer vs. Less


Fewer = things you can count (there are fewer bugs because I can count individual bugs)

Less = things you cannot count (there is less water because I cannot count individual water)

You can also keep this straight by noting that less almost always takes the singular, whereas fewer usually takes the plural (are vs. is).

=========================

Adieu vs. Ado

Adieu = goodbye (pronounce ah-di-ur)

Ado = fuss (pronounced ah-doo)

The expression is, "without further ado," it is not "without further adieu."

=========================

Plural Possessives


To make a plural, such as "dogs," possessive, do not say dogs's or dog's. The correct form is "dogs'" with the apostrophe after the "s".

However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

=========================

I may add more as the come to me, but feel free to add your own to this list.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 12:23:03 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Here are some of those things that most drive me crazy when reading other people's writing:

Fewer vs. Less


Fewer = things you can count (there are fewer bugs because I can count individual bugs)

Less = things you cannot count (there is less water because I cannot count individual water)

You can also keep this straight by noting that less almost always takes the singular, whereas fewer usually takes the plural (are vs. is).

=========================

Adieu vs. Ado

Adieu = goodbye (pronounce ah-di-ur)

Ado = fuss (pronounced ah-doo)

The expression is, "without further ado," it is not "without further adieu."

=========================

Plural Possessives


To make a plural, such as "dogs," possessive, do not say dogs's or dog's. The correct form is "dogs'" with the apostrophe after the "s".

However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This second one is disputed and lacking consensus.

=========================

I may add more as the come to me, but feel free to add your own to this list.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 12:31:07 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:

The expression is, "without further ado," it is not "without further adieu."

Comma splices
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 1:58:15 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:23:03 AM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Plural Possessives


To make a plural, such as "dogs," possessive, do not say dogs's or dog's. The correct form is "dogs'" with the apostrophe after the "s".

However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This second one is disputed and lacking consensus.

The singular?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 1:58:36 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:32:46 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Sorry

Lol, it's okay.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Vaarka
Posts: 7,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 2:13:59 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I have many.....manymanymanymany pet peeves when it comes to writing, though I'll try to shorten it a bit.

Now, if we're just talking about writing a sentence, I can't stand abbreviations like "ur" or "4got" or something. If it's for a joke, like "ur mum" or something (between me and friends maybe), then I don't have a problem. It's when people casually type like this that I want to kill them. If they don't do it often, I can tolerate it. If they always type like that (like my 13 year old forsaken me used to), then I want to smash a brick over their head.

If we're talking about like someone writing a story on the internet, here's what I can't stand: rushed plot, rushed chapters, poor grammar, and dumb logic. I cannot stand it when I open a page to some story where I start at chapter one, and it takes me a minute or two to finish the chapter, and in that single, tiny chapter, character does this, character does that, protagonist encounters this, character dies, move to pawn four. Then, by the time I'm at chapter 4 less than ten minutes later, this protagonist, who was so sad that their lover died in chapter 2, meets some random person in the end of chapter 3 and they're already kissing or something dumb. Or when the plot could've been really good, and had a strong start, but then it's rushed and bunched into two small chapters and ends with "then [character] woke up and realized it was all a dream....or was it?" and that's it. I cannot stand this kind of writing. When it's funny, or meant to be this way, then I'm fine with it (like Hayd's current story). When it's short and dumb, I don't like it.

All in all, I've read stories where the freaking prologue at the beginning of the story had more plot, more detail, more character development, and more words than the entire story this other guy wrote in a couple hours because he was bored.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 2:58:31 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 2:13:59 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Now, if we're just talking about writing a sentence, I can't stand abbreviations like "ur" or "4got" or something. If it's for a joke, like "ur mum" or something (between me and friends maybe), then I don't have a problem. It's when people casually type like this that I want to kill them.

I suggest a therapist.
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 3:49:00 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Here are some of those things that most drive me crazy when reading other people's writing:

Fewer vs. Less


Fewer = things you can count (there are fewer bugs because I can count individual bugs)

Less = things you cannot count (there is less water because I cannot count individual water)

You can also keep this straight by noting that less almost always takes the singular, whereas fewer usually takes the plural (are vs. is).

=========================

Adieu vs. Ado

Adieu = goodbye (pronounce ah-di-ur)

Ado = fuss (pronounced ah-doo)

The expression is, "without further ado," it is not "without further adieu."

=========================

Plural Possessives


To make a plural, such as "dogs," possessive, do not say dogs's or dog's. The correct form is "dogs'" with the apostrophe after the "s".

However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

=========================

I may add more as the come to me, but feel free to add your own to this list.

Whether it's "!?" or "?!"
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,757
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2016 9:52:34 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 2:58:31 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/27/2016 2:13:59 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Now, if we're just talking about writing a sentence, I can't stand abbreviations like "ur" or "4got" or something. If it's for a joke, like "ur mum" or something (between me and friends maybe), then I don't have a problem. It's when people casually type like this that I want to kill them.

I suggest a therapist.

lmao
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:16:43 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 3:49:00 AM, PetersSmith wrote:
Whether it's "!?" or "?!"

It depends. I've found it's more coherent to place the actual, correct punctuation mark first. For example, if it's literally a question, put the question mark first: Are you serious?!

Really, it's quite rare to find a sentence in which it is necessary to put the exclamation mark before the question mark. Otherwise, it is most appropriate to put the correct punctuation mark first, despite the incredulous manner in which it may be asked.
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Posts: 4,306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:23:40 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:

It bothers me when people misuse effect/affect...

Effect: Use this when it's a noun (The effect of Donald Trump's campaign has been unprecedented).

Affect: Use this when it's a verb (Donald Trump's campaign has had a significant effect on what is viewed as permissible for individuals running for the office of presidency).

==========================================================================

It also bothers me when people blatantly misuse variations of to/too/two, their/they're/there, and your/you're, etc. It's SO simple, yet many people seem to struggle with it. I can't fathom why.

I may add some later, but this is what instantaneously comes to mind...
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 12:00:55 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This isn't necessarily true.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Deb-8-A-Bull
Posts: 2,181
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 1:14:25 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
Graffiti

Graffiti you can't make out and you and your mates stand there going well that's a letter R there. It says strife , no that's a letter K not F it's strike. Then your other mate goes it looks like Stolan. Like the word stolen. And you like your a idiot , there is no N in it. Then his like yeah look see how it goes up there and the A and the N are connected. Then you see it and think, that dose look like stolan. Then you think what's stolan. Then you think that might be his tag name . Then you think , well that's stupid.then you wonder how long that is going to be there for. The price of the paint. And wonder if the artist thinks 10 bucks for that there, is it really worth it. When would he of done that.
Vaarka
Posts: 7,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:12:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 2:58:31 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 1/27/2016 2:13:59 AM, Vaarka wrote:

Now, if we're just talking about writing a sentence, I can't stand abbreviations like "ur" or "4got" or something. If it's for a joke, like "ur mum" or something (between me and friends maybe), then I don't have a problem. It's when people casually type like this that I want to kill them.

I suggest a therapist.

*6 day late response*

I remember I used to play on some small server, and in order to leave the first area, you had to take a test, and a mod had to grade it and pass the newcomer. This one player logs on when none of the mods are available (it was just me and some other user named _Oddster). He immediately starts typing this way. I can't remember all of what he said at first, but once he found out he had to take a test before he could fully join, he went full retard.

"I wrk 4 mjng and I ging 2 dlte ur srvr!"

Now, of course, my obvious and immediate response to this sudden outburst of anger was, "I'm sorry?". The player replies with a similar text, to which I ask again, "I'm sorry, what?". This continues for about 3 minutes or so until I finally figure out that this guy is claiming to work for the company and will shut down the server, simply because of our test. Now, at this, I tried to calm him down, which led to multiple indecipherable messages. Finally, after convincing him to take the test, he comes back 30 seconds later and claims to have finished (which I knew was a lie, considering it would probably take him at least a few minutes. However, _Oddster convinces me to not counter it and call him a lier. Finally, a mod comes on, but he's in a hurry. I message the mod: "Can you please check this kid's quiz?". He happily agrees to, only to (surprise) find out the kid hadn't taken it. The kid says "pls I cnt fnd it I only 9". The mod (props to ep1c) convinces the kid to take it, but the mod has to leave before the kid finishes. He tells us he's finished, but sees the mod is gone. He then threatens us with the most threatening thing I've ever seen(sarcasm):

"Ths srvr bad i dlte it frevr! say gdby 2 ur srvr! Itl b ded by tmrw!"

To which me, shaking my head, replied "I have no idea what you just said."

He repeats the same message, and I just reply with a simple "k". _Oddster replies "Make sure to leave a nice gravestone for us please."

I never saw that kid again, but the unintelligence shown by him still haunts me to this day.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:16:33 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Here are some of those things that most drive me crazy when reading other people's writing:
Haha, I share you're pet peeves to (except the one which, as Endark pointed out, is controversial).

(^those errors were very much intended.)

Fewer vs. Less


Fewer = things you can count (there are fewer bugs because I can count individual bugs)
There is an exception to this: when the noun is singular (one less assignment).
Less = things you cannot count (there is less water because I cannot count individual water)

You can also keep this straight by noting that less almost always takes the singular, whereas fewer usually takes the plural (are vs. is).

=========================

Adieu vs. Ado

Adieu = goodbye (pronounce ah-di-ur)

Ado = fuss (pronounced ah-doo)

The expression is, "without further ado," it is not "without further adieu."

=========================

Plural Possessives


To make a plural, such as "dogs," possessive, do not say dogs's or dog's. The correct form is "dogs'" with the apostrophe after the "s".

However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

=========================

I may add more as the come to me, but feel free to add your own to this list.

My biggest pet peeves are hypercorrections, in particular the erroneous use of 'whom'. This really annoys me:
The person whom helped me pass the exam is nice.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:18:42 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 2:12:13 PM, Vaarka wrote:

thaht wus en gud st0rie!!!1!
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
Valkrin
Posts: 2,046
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:21:13 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
On a more serious note, most of my peeves come from people who incorrectly use a phrase or word. I can understand some comma splices and whatnot, maybe a spelling error, but saying things such as "I could care less" or incorrectly using "effect" or "affect", really bugs me. Just general stuff like that shows to me that they don't know the proper words for the proper scenario.
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." - Vaarka
Vaarka
Posts: 7,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:21:36 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 2:18:42 PM, Valkrin wrote:
At 2/2/2016 2:12:13 PM, Vaarka wrote:

thaht wus en gud st0rie!!!1!

kys
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Vaarka
Posts: 7,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 2:23:16 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 2:21:13 PM, Valkrin wrote:
On a more serious note, most of my peeves come from people who incorrectly use a phrase or word. I can understand some comma splices and whatnot, maybe a spelling error, but saying things such as "I could care less" or incorrectly using "effect" or "affect", really bugs me. Just general stuff like that shows to me that they don't know the proper words for the proper scenario.

Normally, I'd agree with this, but it doesn't effect me much, so I could care less.

How does it feel you smart-brained bastard?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 3:26:32 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 2:21:13 PM, Valkrin wrote:
On a more serious note, most of my peeves come from people who incorrectly use a phrase or word. I can understand some comma splices and whatnot, maybe a spelling error, but saying things such as "I could care less" or incorrectly using "effect" or "affect", really bugs me. Just general stuff like that shows to me that they don't know the proper words for the proper scenario.

I agree that poor word choice can be pain-inducing at times, but usually because it causes confusion. Bad spelling and punctuation are worse, IMO. (BTW, 'affect' and 'effect' is a spelling error...)

Frankly, I could care less about 'I could care less'. It's very common for a the sarcastic use of a lexical item to be popularised, sometimes replacing the original use completely (two examples I can think of are eggregious and hot sh!t). 'I could care less' is another, except the lexeme's form, rather than its meaning, was altered.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:02:01 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 2:12:13 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I never saw that kid again, but the unintelligence shown by him still haunts me to this day.

Unfortunately, I'm not a therapist :(
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:14:39 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 12:00:55 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This isn't necessarily true.

Technically, it is not wholly incorrect to do the latter. The problem is that--in spoken speech--it can be extremely hard to distinguish "Jesus'" from the non-possessive "Jesus."

So, were I to say, "Jesus' writing" it could appear to be 2 different things: (1) Jesus's writing or (2) Jesus is (or while he is) writing. It's ambiguous. Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see.

That is why "Jesus's" is better or recommended in comparison to "Jesus'."
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:15:52 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 4:14:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/2/2016 12:00:55 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This isn't necessarily true.

Technically, it is not wholly incorrect to do the latter. The problem is that--in spoken speech--it can be extremely hard to distinguish "Jesus'" from the non-possessive "Jesus."

So, were I to say, "Jesus' writing" it could appear to be 2 different things: (1) Jesus's writing or (2) Jesus is (or while he is) writing. It's ambiguous. Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see.

That is why "Jesus's" is better or recommended in comparison to "Jesus'."

In speech, one can pronounce it as "Jesus's." But the title is "random pet peeves in writing." Spelling and pronunciation are different.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:18:43 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 4:15:52 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/2/2016 4:14:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/2/2016 12:00:55 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This isn't necessarily true.

Technically, it is not wholly incorrect to do the latter. The problem is that--in spoken speech--it can be extremely hard to distinguish "Jesus'" from the non-possessive "Jesus."

So, were I to say, "Jesus' writing" it could appear to be 2 different things: (1) Jesus's writing or (2) Jesus is (or while he is) writing. It's ambiguous. Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see.

That is why "Jesus's" is better or recommended in comparison to "Jesus'."

In speech, one can pronounce it as "Jesus's." But the title is "random pet peeves in writing." Spelling and pronunciation are different.

This implies that there is no relationship between how we speak and write. Our speech directly impacts what we perceive as correct writing. Our grammar conventions are shaped by speech, after all.

Moreover, the "Jesus'" form again has clarity issues in writing. You glossed over what I wrote here: " Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see." It can also be mistaken as an error or a typo. The apostrophe "s" is the clearest way of communicating the information.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:22:05 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 4:18:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/2/2016 4:15:52 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/2/2016 4:14:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/2/2016 12:00:55 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This isn't necessarily true.

Technically, it is not wholly incorrect to do the latter. The problem is that--in spoken speech--it can be extremely hard to distinguish "Jesus'" from the non-possessive "Jesus."

So, were I to say, "Jesus' writing" it could appear to be 2 different things: (1) Jesus's writing or (2) Jesus is (or while he is) writing. It's ambiguous. Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see.

That is why "Jesus's" is better or recommended in comparison to "Jesus'."

In speech, one can pronounce it as "Jesus's." But the title is "random pet peeves in writing." Spelling and pronunciation are different.

This implies that there is no relationship between how we speak and write. Our speech directly impacts what we perceive as correct writing. Our grammar conventions are shaped by speech, after all.

Moreover, the "Jesus'" form again has clarity issues in writing. You glossed over what I wrote here: " Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see." It can also be mistaken as an error or a typo. The apostrophe "s" is the clearest way of communicating the information.

tbh I prefer the one without the apostrophe "s" because that's how I've been taught it since kindergarten.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:45:51 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 4:22:05 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/2/2016 4:18:43 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/2/2016 4:15:52 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 2/2/2016 4:14:39 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 2/2/2016 12:00:55 PM, tejretics wrote:
At 1/27/2016 12:05:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:
However, for singular nouns ending in "s," this is not the case. It is "Jesus's" not "Jesus'."

This isn't necessarily true.

Technically, it is not wholly incorrect to do the latter. The problem is that--in spoken speech--it can be extremely hard to distinguish "Jesus'" from the non-possessive "Jesus."

So, were I to say, "Jesus' writing" it could appear to be 2 different things: (1) Jesus's writing or (2) Jesus is (or while he is) writing. It's ambiguous. Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see.

That is why "Jesus's" is better or recommended in comparison to "Jesus'."

In speech, one can pronounce it as "Jesus's." But the title is "random pet peeves in writing." Spelling and pronunciation are different.

This implies that there is no relationship between how we speak and write. Our speech directly impacts what we perceive as correct writing. Our grammar conventions are shaped by speech, after all.

Moreover, the "Jesus'" form again has clarity issues in writing. You glossed over what I wrote here: " Even in written speech, that apostrophe can be hard to see." It can also be mistaken as an error or a typo. The apostrophe "s" is the clearest way of communicating the information.

tbh I prefer the one without the apostrophe "s" because that's how I've been taught it since kindergarten.

Eh.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Posts: 146
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 4:52:17 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I was listening to a Tom Clancy book in the car. Jack Ryan, being the investigative, mystery type, asks a lot of questions. Clancy, is very formal in his use of proper names in dialog.

It became horribly funny and annoying.

," Jack asked.

," Jack asked.

," Jack asked.

," Jack asked.

," Jack asked.

," Jack asked.

," Jackassed.
," Jackassed.
," Jackassed.
," Jackassed.
," Jackassed.
," Jackassed.
," Jackassed.
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 5:37:37 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
I find this amusing since people will always make mistakes.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Vaarka
Posts: 7,566
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 6:25:44 PM
Posted: 10 months ago
At 2/2/2016 4:02:01 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 2/2/2016 2:12:13 PM, Vaarka wrote:

I never saw that kid again, but the unintelligence shown by him still haunts me to this day.

Unfortunately, I'm not a therapist :(

I don't need a therapist, just a hug.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya