Jump to topic:

Debating is going down the drain...

WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 7:45:59 AM
Posted: 10 months ago
I was struggling to find the appropriate forum for this, however, I stumbled across this:

CEDA, (Cross Examination Debate Association), the largest intercollegiate policy debate association in the United States, is shifting their debate form to something like this

https://www.youtube.com...

It starts around 50:00.. Every second word is ni66er, they rap their debates, if this is what debate is being portrait as I do not want to take part in it anymore.. What kind of 'debate skill' do these people have, and how crap must the other opponents have been if these guys made it to the finals? The topic of the debate was "RESOLVED: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase statutory and/or judicial restrictions on the war powers authority of the President of the United States in one or more of the following areas: targeted killing; indefinite detention; offensive cyber operations; or introducing United States Armed Forces into hostilities.", but they managed to mainly talk about "ni66as are oppressed by the white man" and the "ni66a in the University".

Even when I started in school and was extremely successful, I had counter arguments such as "this offends me", girls crying, "you need to be more open minded" (coming from a Christian trying to convert me.....).

But now it seems like if you are part of a minority or 'oppressed' you seem to win every debate by default.. Are people becoming more and more stupid? 'Oppressed' feminists getting their way, without any reasoning.. Where has the logic gone? Intelligent arguments?? DUH......
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 8:07:12 AM
At first I thought this was just going to be some guy's debate case translated [poorly] into rap, which would be silly, but I wouldn't really have a problem with it. But yeah, as it stands the content of the rap isn't really relevant to the topic.

I also want to say that's one of the most unreasonably long and convoluted titles in formally organized debate I've ever seen, especially since it'd be pretty easy to shorten it. Watch: The U.S. government should increase the restrictions of the war powers of the President.
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2016 9:05:54 AM
At 2/2/2016 8:07:12 AM, Torton wrote:
At first I thought this was just going to be some guy's debate case translated [poorly] into rap, which would be silly, but I wouldn't really have a problem with it. But yeah, as it stands the content of the rap isn't really relevant to the topic.

I also want to say that's one of the most unreasonably long and convoluted titles in formally organized debate I've ever seen, especially since it'd be pretty easy to shorten it. Watch: The U.S. government should increase the restrictions of the war powers of the President.

If they would actually debate what the debate was about, I wouldn't have a problem with it either... But this??? And this is the finals??? Like seriously??

The president of the club made this whole speech as well, as the club was attacked for this, basically calling everyone who attacked them racist..

LOOK AT THIS JOKE.....

Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 9:52:13 PM
At 2/2/2016 7:45:59 AM, WAM wrote:
I was struggling to find the appropriate forum for this, however, I stumbled across this:

CEDA, (Cross Examination Debate Association), the largest intercollegiate policy debate association in the United States, is shifting their debate form to something like this

It starts around 50:00.. Every second word is ni66er, they rap their debates, if this is what debate is being portrait as I do not want to take part in it anymore.. What kind of 'debate skill' do these people have, and how crap must the other opponents have been if these guys made it to the finals? The topic of the debate was "RESOLVED: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase statutory and/or judicial restrictions on the war powers authority of the President of the United States in one or more of the following areas: targeted killing; indefinite detention; offensive cyber operations; or introducing United States Armed Forces into hostilities.", but they managed to mainly talk about "ni66as are oppressed by the white man" and the "ni66a in the University".

Even when I started in school and was extremely successful, I had counter arguments such as "this offends me", girls crying, "you need to be more open minded" (coming from a Christian trying to convert me.....).

But now it seems like if you are part of a minority or 'oppressed' you seem to win every debate by default.. Are people becoming more and more stupid? 'Oppressed' feminists getting their way, without any reasoning.. Where has the logic gone? Intelligent arguments?? DUH......

That was pretty tough to watch. It felt more like an argument over the dinner table than an actual debate.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
brontoraptor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2016 11:44:57 PM
Things haven't been the same since grittyworm got booted. Lol
"What Donald Trump is doing is representing the absolute heartbreak, and anger, and frustration at a government gone mad."

http://youtu.be...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 2:02:53 AM

Omg we should do this on DDO
WAM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2016 7:47:03 AM
At 2/9/2016 2:02:53 AM, Hayd wrote:
Omg we should do this on DDO

How will RFD's be made? Based on who makes the most unrelated argument?

But yeah, let's get some of our 'greatest' members together, they could 'argue' like that all day long..
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 4:44:08 AM
Posted: 9 months ago
Someone already posted about this.

DAFUQ KIND OF DEBATING IS THIS?!?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
CodingSource
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2016 5:34:58 PM
Posted: 9 months ago

The art of debate is not yet dying here in the Philippines. The University of Philippines Los Banos' debates are being executed in public (held in Feb Fairs actually). They talk about economical issues.

Sounds like Briannj17, minddrag, Reformist, airmax1227, and imabench rapping haha!
If computers have no doors or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

I have a 10-0-0 debate record with an ELO ranking of 2,814. From 610th during my first two-week stay, I am now 326th in the Debates Leaderboard: http://www.debate.org...