Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Don't judge a book by its cover

brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:34:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was thinking of buying my friends at Debate.Org a book each for Christmas / Yuletide / Hanukkah / Eid ul-Adha / Pancha Ganapati / Mid-Winter Holiday this year and I thought of a suitable publication but then I remembered that you should never judge a book by its cover and realised that all may not be what it seems.

Therefore, I chose an alternative title for everybody as follows:

I was going to buy badger: Beer and Cider in Ireland: The Complete Guide by Iorwerth Griffiths, seán o'keeffe, and ros murphy;
but then I thought it was probably not what it seems and instead bought:
Girls' Best Book of Knitting, Sewing, and Embroidery by Virginie Desmoulins

I was going to buy CJL: The "Sound of Music" Companion: From Stage to Screen and Back Again by Really Useful Group;
but then I thought it was probably not what it seems and instead bought:
The Natural Art of Seduction: Secrets of Success With Women by Richard La Ruina

I was going to buy DATCMOTO:
Scripture Workbook: For Personal Bible Study and Teaching the Bible by Gary F. Zeolla;
but then I thought it was probably not what it seems and instead bought:
The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking

I was going to buy Koopin: either Secret Recipe: Why KFC is Still Cookin' After 50 Years by Pete Harman;
but then I thought they were probably not what they seemed and instead bought:
Cooking with PETA: Great Vegan Recipes for a Compassionate Kitchen by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

I was going to buy lovelife: Stories About Cats and the Lives They Touch by Peggy Shaefer;
but then I thought it was probably not what it seems and instead bought:
The Gun Owner's Handbook: A Complete Guide to Maintaining and Repairing Your Firearms--in the Field or at Your Workbench by Larry Lyons

I was going to buy Mirza: Conversion to Islam in the Balkans: Kisve Bahas - Petitions and Ottoman Social Life, 1670-1730 (Ottoman Empire and Its Heritage) by A. Minkov;
but then I thought it was probably not what it seems and instead bought:
Charcuterie and French Pork Cookery by Jane Grigson

I was going to buy Vi Veri: Revisioning the Political: Feminist Reconstructions of Traditional Concepts in Western Political Theory (Feminist Theory & Politics) by Nancy J. Hirschmann and Christine DiStefano;
but then I thought it was probably not what it seems and instead bought:
The Joy of Sexism by Sid the Sexist

I was going to buy Zeitgeist:
Tax Avoidance – a Practical Guide for UK Residents by Samuel Blankson;
but then I thought it was probably not what it seems and instead bought:
Multicultural Citizenship: A Liberal Theory of Minority Rights (Oxford Political Theory) by Will Kymlicka

However, I need some ideas for other members including: TheLwerd, Panda; Roy Latham; Ragnar Rahl; Feverish; Cerebral Narcissist, Frenchmoose, Ann Hasle, Palin Fan, Banker, INH and all the other members on my friends list.

Can you help?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:41:57 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
for frenchmoose, you might be tempted to think to buy him Cheetos, but using your 'it might not be what it seems' method of gift selection, you should get him a Nintendo Wii as we all know his feelings about the game system http://www.debate.org...
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:06:54 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 10:58:26 AM, lovelife wrote:
Why don't I like firearms?

I just can't imagine it: but then again, you are an American so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised?

My first thought was a book about hunting and trapping animals - maybe that would have been better?
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:15:17 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 11:06:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/10/2010 10:58:26 AM, lovelife wrote:
Why don't I like firearms?

Maybe because you're a pacifist?

I made a page on FB titled "Pacifists for Gun-Rights"
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 11:29:06 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was going to get Askbob "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith, but then I thought it might be better to try "How to Make Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie.

I was going to get Cerebral_Narcissist "High Glitz: The Extravagant World of Child Beauty Pageants" by Susan Anderson, but went with "The Book of Hobbies or a Guide to Happiness" by Charles William Taussig.

I was going to get I-am-a-Panda "Teen Angst? Naaah" by Ned Vizzini just for the f*ck of it, but I decided on something more appropriate - "Solutions to Getting and Maintaining and Erection" by Timothy E. Wilhelm.

I was going to get Roy Latham "Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin, but then realized I didn't want to give that stupid wench any more money so I chose "Profit Over People" by Noam Chomsky.

I was going to get Brian Eggleston "Why Won't Jesus Bring the Pork Chops" by George Carlin, but then I realized I could just lend him my copy and get him "Being a Man in a Woman's World" by Dennis Neder.

I was going to get Lwerd "This is Your Country on Drugs" by Ryan Glim, but then I realized she already had it so I chose "PMS: Premenstrual Syndrome Self-Help Book" by Susan M. Lark.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 12:18:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 11:15:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 11/10/2010 11:06:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/10/2010 10:58:26 AM, lovelife wrote:
Why don't I like firearms?

Maybe because you're a pacifist?

I made a page on FB titled "Pacifists for Gun-Rights"

Now we need "vegan steak grilling tips."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 1:17:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 11:29:06 AM, theLwerd wrote:

I was going to get Cerebral_Narcissist "High Glitz: The Extravagant World of Child Beauty Pageants" by Susan Anderson,

I see what you did there.

but went with "The Book of Hobbies or a Guide to Happiness" by Charles William Taussig.


Hey I have hobbies.

I was thinking Lolita personally.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 6:04:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/10/2010 11:06:05 AM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/10/2010 10:58:26 AM, lovelife wrote:
Why don't I like firearms?

Maybe because you're a pacifist?

I'm for self defense not instigating. I support the 2nd amendment because as EVERY teacher I EVER had has told me criminals will still get guns and then your screwed. One teacher said it wouldn't do much cause they'd just get a bow and arrows, or a (koopinesque) knife, and with guns your able to defend yourself; not so much with anything else. I think I'd use plastic bullets tho, don't see why normal people shouldn't be allowed normal guns tho. end rant/

@ brain, yeah I'm American, and this is the only thing I'm aware of that I disagree with Canada about, lmao (but rather agree with America, and not just America, but the republicans)
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 8:08:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was going to get Insertnamehere an annotated copy of the Quran but then I realized it was a little late so I bought her Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.

I was going to get Feverish a copy of The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein but it sold out so I got him The God That Failed by six former communists.

I was gonna buy Annhasle Might Makes Right by Ragnar Redbeard (no relation) but its relation to nihilism seemed too minor for her tastes so I got her Country Music: The Masters by Marty Stuart. I also slipped some naked pictures of me and a sandpaper dildo in the package.

I was gonna buy Palinfan/Reaganfan Sarah Palin: The Real Deal by G. Robert James but then I read a bad review so I got him Irrational Security: The Politics of Defense from Reagan to Obama by Daniel Wirls.

I was gonna buy Banker Unholy war: terror in the name of Islam by John L. Esposito, but then I realized he's basically illiterate so I got him some pancake mix because he doesn't have any pancake mix.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Anacharsis
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2010 9:03:14 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was going to get everyone a copy of Hacking Exposed Web Applications, but realized that could lead to some bad things. So, I got everyone a copy of Maimonides' Guide of the Perplexed instead.