Jump to topic:

A Children's Story of Columbus

Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 5:58:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Does anyone know about this book? It was like 10 years ago when I was little but I really want to find it. When I was like in kindergarten there was this one book about the actual story with Columbus that the teacher read to the class. How when he went there the Natives gave him gifts and treated him kindly and then he found out about their gold (picture of him and his friends around chest filled with gold and showing greed in their faces) and then he was a d!ck and forced then into slavery for their resources (Native in chains or cage). I'm asking because I have tried like every combination I can think of and all I get is this book by Adler which sure as h3ll isn't it.
InsertNameHere wrote: "If we evolved from apes then why are apes still around?

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

Anarcho wrote: *facepalm*
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 6:30:20 PM
I'm personally a fan of Columbus's diary entries lol. He talks about how the Natives were ridiculously generous, exceptionally kind, had no prisons, no prisoners, and shared everything never saying no... only to continue on about how they'd make perfect slaves. He killed half the population and enslaved the rest. He sold the most desired girls (around aged 9 and 10) into sexual slavery. His diary confirms, "A hundred castellanoes are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand." The slaved worked til they died, or if they produced under quota, their hands would be cut off and tied around their neck as a threat to the others. He frequently cut off body parts, brought canons, attack dogs, killed Native babies to feed dogs, etc. His son became the first African slave trader in 1505 (after there were no more Natives). Ya know, I'm thinking of starting a petition to make Columbus Day *NOT* a national holiday (FDR made it as such, hehe).
President of DDO
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 6:50:44 PM
At 11/11/2010 6:30:20 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I'm personally a fan of Columbus's diary entries lol. He talks about how the Natives were ridiculously generous, exceptionally kind, had no prisons, no prisoners, and shared everything never saying no... only to continue on about how they'd make perfect slaves. He killed half the population and enslaved the rest. He sold the most desired girls (around aged 9 and 10) into sexual slavery. His diary confirms, "A hundred castellanoes are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand." The slaved worked til they died, or if they produced under quota, their hands would be cut off and tied around their neck as a threat to the others. He frequently cut off body parts, brought canons, attack dogs, killed Native babies to feed dogs, etc. His son became the first African slave trader in 1505 (after there were no more Natives). Ya know, I'm thinking of starting a petition to make Columbus Day *NOT* a national holiday (FDR made it as such, hehe).

At least we evolved past that stage.
Now I am ashamed of the past, but I am proud that some natives (Like my ancestors, which is why I don't get a CDIB card, and get no benefits, but like most of my family I'd rather be cardless then spineless)

I think getting rid of Columbus day is a great idea. I hate the hatred and violence, and the greed. But at least for the most part we have outgrown it.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 6:58:56 PM

Ya know, I'm thinking of starting a petition to make Columbus Day *NOT* a national holiday (FDR made it as such, hehe).

At my high school, we don't celebrate Columbus day and don't even recognize it as a holiday. Since we can't legally have school, they always schedule a "field trip" to some boring museum or the like where attendance is mandatory. They say, "Celebrating the genocide of the Native Americans is not only morally reprehensible but also an insult to those of Native decent. We will not, and hopefully soon no one will, recognize this day as one to be honored. Instead, we feel shame."
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 7:05:52 PM
At 11/11/2010 6:58:56 PM, annhasle wrote:

Ya know, I'm thinking of starting a petition to make Columbus Day *NOT* a national holiday (FDR made it as such, hehe).

At my high school, we don't celebrate Columbus day and don't even recognize it as a holiday. Since we can't legally have school, they always schedule a "field trip" to some boring museum or the like where attendance is mandatory. They say, "Celebrating the genocide of the Native Americans is not only morally reprehensible but also an insult to those of Native decent. We will not, and hopefully soon no one will, recognize this day as one to be honored. Instead, we feel shame."

I wish I remembered when columbus day was. I checked my schools fb page and they had a question up "Its columbus day! What's something you know about columbus?"
(everyone was all "He wasn't the first one here" "He didn't mean to find America" "He called the Natives Indians because he messed up and thought that if he lied enough it would be true")
I think I would have gotten banned tho...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 7:12:27 PM
They say, "Celebrating the genocide of the Native Americans is not only morally reprehensible but also an insult to those of Native decent. We will not, and hopefully soon no one will, recognize this day as one to be honored. Instead, we feel shame."

...Nobody does that. Hell, I seriously doubt that many even 'celebrate' Columbus day. Sure, Columbus may have been a huge douche to the natives, but he also discovered the Western Hemisphere in the name of European nations and his actions paved the way for colonization.

Gotta break a few eggs if you want an omelet; or so the saying goes.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 7:17:22 PM
At 11/11/2010 7:12:27 PM, Korashk wrote:
They say, "Celebrating the genocide of the Native Americans is not only morally reprehensible but also an insult to those of Native decent. We will not, and hopefully soon no one will, recognize this day as one to be honored. Instead, we feel shame."

...Nobody does that. Hell, I seriously doubt that many even 'celebrate' Columbus day. Sure, Columbus may have been a huge douche to the natives, but he also discovered the Western Hemisphere in the name of European nations and his actions paved the way for colonization.

I agree with you. I told the Principal to his face that the day isn't to remember the deaths of the Natives and to stop being so melodramatic. But the administration has a "strong sense of morality"... which also pisses the hell out of me but that's a story for another day.

Does anyone really celebrate Columbus day? No. So why make a big deal about it, anyways? The only way I know it's Columbus day is because the bank is closed and Google changes it's homepage. <shrugs>
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:00:12 PM
At 11/11/2010 7:17:22 PM, annhasle wrote:

Um no, just no.
I agree with you. I told the Principal to his face that the day isn't to remember the deaths of the Natives and to stop being so melodramatic. But the administration has a "strong sense of morality"... which also pisses the hell out of me but that's a story for another day.

Does anyone really celebrate Columbus day? No. So why make a big deal about it, anyways? The only way I know it's Columbus day is because the bank is closed and Google changes it's homepage. <shrugs>

My school teaches nothing of what he did to the indigenous people and glorify him dedicating the day by installing their propaganda that he was this great guy that discovered the greatest country in teh world!!!! Besides that book (which I am still awaiting a title for) nothing else tells the truth.

This is semi-serious btw. It's something that seems strange to me. You'd think that entire species would cease to exist if other ones evolved from them."

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:03:03 PM
At 11/11/2010 8:00:12 PM, Anarcho wrote:

Um no, just no.

My school teaches nothing of what he did to the indigenous people and glorify him dedicating the day by installing their propaganda that he was this great guy that discovered the greatest country in teh world!!!! Besides that book (which I am still awaiting a title for) nothing else tells the truth.

amen. Sorry But I have never even heard of a book, especially childrens, that came close to telling the truth.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:19:03 PM

Um no, just no.

Umm...'just no' what? It seems to me that you're doing the same thing that your school is doing by not acknowledging the positive things that Columbus did.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:24:23 PM
At 11/11/2010 8:19:03 PM, Korashk wrote:

Um no, just no.

Umm...'just no' what? It seems to me that you're doing the same thing that your school is doing by not acknowledging the positive things that Columbus did.

Name one thing he did that was positive without atrocities attached.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:27:09 PM
At 11/11/2010 8:24:23 PM, Anarcho wrote:

Um no, just no.

Died?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:43:44 PM

Um no, just no.

He's a big reason that America exists. If I cure cancer and torture puppies in my spare time it doesn't change the fact that I cured cancer. He didn't victimize natives because he discovered North America. He victimized natives because they had stuff that was and is considered valuable. I'm not saying that victimizing natives was right, I'm saying it doesn't change the fact that he discovered North America and paved the way for colonization.

You're a hypocrite for demeaning your school for doing something that you you do.
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:55:44 PM
At 11/11/2010 8:43:44 PM, Korashk wrote:

Um no, just no.

He's a big reason that America exists. If I cure cancer and torture puppies in my spare time it doesn't change the fact that I cured cancer. He didn't victimize natives because he discovered North America. He victimized natives because they had stuff that was and is considered valuable. I'm not saying that victimizing natives was right, I'm saying it doesn't change the fact that he discovered North America and paved the way for colonization.

You're a hypocrite for demeaning your school for doing something that you you do.

What did he discover again? If I recall the Vikings beat him to it and Native Americans beat them to it.

lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 8:58:18 PM
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 9:10:49 PM
At 11/11/2010 8:55:44 PM, Anarcho wrote:
What did he discover again?

North America for mainland Europe.

If I recall the Vikings beat him to it and Native Americans beat them to it.

Yeah, and the vikings knew about it for about FOUR HUNDRED years without broadcasting the fact that another landmass even existed. Once Columbus got there stuff actually started happening. I won't even address how stupid the part of the quote dealing with Native Americans is.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2010 9:15:06 PM
At 11/11/2010 9:10:49 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 11/11/2010 8:55:44 PM, Anarcho wrote:
What did he discover again?

North America for mainland Europe.

If I recall the Vikings beat him to it and Native Americans beat them to it.

Yeah, and the vikings knew about it for about FOUR HUNDRED years without broadcasting the fact that another landmass even existed. Once Columbus got there stuff actually started happening. I won't even address how stupid the part of the quote dealing with Native Americans is.

http://extragoodshit.phlap.net...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:32:25 AM
I'm saying it doesn't change the fact that he discovered North America and paved the way for colonization.

He didn't discover north america.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 2:15:43 AM

It should be China Viking or Black day . . . (they all went there before Columbus and we also don't know the exact day they did that so lets just use Columbus day)
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 2:30:03 AM
At 11/12/2010 2:20:24 AM, innomen wrote:
Read Howard Zinn if you are eager for lopsided history.

Thats why . . . It should be China, Viking. or Black day . . . (they all went there before Columbus and we also don't know the exact day they did that so lets just use Columbus day)
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 2:32:13 AM
At 11/12/2010 2:30:03 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Thats why . . . It should be China, Viking. or Black day . . . (they all went there before Columbus and we also don't know the exact day they did that so lets just use Columbus day)

Agreed, and besides he changed everything, the others did not.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 4:27:24 AM
At 11/12/2010 2:30:03 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

If you invent something, and don't tell anybody, you don't get or deserve credit. If somebody else happens to invent it later, and then try to get credit, they just beat you. Keeping it hidden kills the entire purpose.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Anarcho
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:10:17 PM
Can it stop being derailed and I get someone to say what they think the book is?

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 12:17:34 PM
At 11/12/2010 12:32:25 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I'm saying it doesn't change the fact that he discovered North America and paved the way for colonization.

He didn't discover north america.

I know that, I phrased it correctly the first time I said it in the thread.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 7:20:05 PM
Not only did the Vikings discover the Americas 500 years before Columbus, but the Native Americans discovered the Americas 14,000 years before that. Where's their holiday? Also, DNA evidence now suggests that Polynesian adventurers sailed dugout canoes across the Pacific and settled in South America long before the Vikings. In other words, Columbus was far from the first to discover it, settle there, and he was far from a hero. He was cruel and barbaric (ironically enough thinking he was the civilized one) as well destructive, manipulative and dishonest. It's foolish to honor him simply because he happened to stumble upon the Americas en route to Asia. That's just as stupid as being proud of your nationality when you accomplished nothing to be proud of. What should Columbus be proud of? Being a mass murderer? Establishing and strengthening the slave trade? Wiping out a kind and gentle population for money? I'm sorry but accidentally stumbling upon something isn't exactly some great feat like, oh, I dunno fighting for civil rights, doing things like Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, etc.
President of DDO
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 7:58:54 PM
At 11/12/2010 7:20:05 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Not only did the Vikings discover the Americas 500 years before Columbus, but the Native Americans discovered the Americas 14,000 years before that. Where's their holiday? Also, DNA evidence now suggests that Polynesian adventurers sailed dugout canoes across the Pacific and settled in South America long before the Vikings. In other words, Columbus was far from the first to discover it, settle there, and he was far from a hero. He was cruel and barbaric (ironically enough thinking he was the civilized one) as well destructive, manipulative and dishonest. It's foolish to honor him simply because he happened to stumble upon the Americas en route to Asia. That's just as stupid as being proud of your nationality when you accomplished nothing to be proud of. What should Columbus be proud of? Being a mass murderer? Establishing and strengthening the slave trade? Wiping out a kind and gentle population for money? I'm sorry but accidentally stumbling upon something isn't exactly some great feat like, oh, I dunno fighting for civil rights, doing things like Nelson Mandela, Gandhi, etc.

Thats what me and inomen said . . .
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 8:01:58 PM
At 11/12/2010 8:00:35 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
L makes a good point. Where's Gandhi day or Mandela day? You never hear about those.

Ask people in South Africa or India.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2010 8:03:37 PM
And Gandhi sucked about as bad as the people he struggled against. Mandela it's a lot more lopsided because the people he was against were a lot worse of course :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.