Jump to topic:

How a SAO Scenario could Happen in 2016

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 1:24:26 AM
Posted: 8 months ago
That is, how a SAO scenario could happen with already existing technology.
Okay, so:

In October 2016 a VR console called the ReagEvren is released. It's this helmet with which you receive surround sound and external noise is blocked out (think those earmuff thingies that people working jobs involving dangerously loud sounds wear). Likewise, it totally covers your eyes so that you can only see whatever appears on the screen.
In this way, 2 out of 5 senses are immersed almost totally in the game. Communication with the outside would be difficult if you were unable to see the outside and hearing would be very difficult.
Next, there'd be a bomb inside of every helmet. Once you activate the device and put the helmet on the bomb would be activated. However, it wouldn't detonate until you removed the helmet, in which it'd explode after one second and would have a large enough blast radius to prevent the wearer from successfully getting away from the helmet.
The console would come with one package game: Spear Aesthetics Online. All players would be connected to the server, and if at any point access to the server was disrupted the disconnected players would be killed by the bombs. Each helmet would need to remain plugged in so that the battery didn't run out. Each helmet would be equipped with a microphone, allowing for players across the world/country to communicate with each other. Since a Neuro-Electronic Interface is not yet a thing and because a person couldn't just run and jump around the room to cause in-game movements, movement within the game would be done through a controller (kind of like an Xbox 360 controller or something).
Thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 1:39:07 AM
I guess it could (emphasis on this) happen, but it wouldn't last very long. Once people realized it literally kills you if you take it off (which would happen pretty fast, I imagine), there'd be tons of lawsuits towards whatever company made it.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2016 3:01:00 AM
At 3/21/2016 1:39:07 AM, Torton wrote:
I guess it could (emphasis on this) happen, but it wouldn't last very long. Once people realized it literally kills you if you take it off (which would happen pretty fast, I imagine), there'd be tons of lawsuits towards whatever company made it.

This also happened in the SAO storyline. This is not relevant, however, because they'd be forced to keep the game going until its conclusion (that is, whenever the X number of people trapped inside the game succeed in beating the final level).
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid