Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 2:25:30 PM
Posted: 8 months ago
hank you Kasmic for this debate

=Framework=

I will establish that the BOP be shared, since I will provide a counter plan

Personal Liberty

When Pro proposes a national ban on cigarettes, he essentially is limiting the freedom Americans have. Whether or not smoking is moral, Americans have the choice to choose whether they want to smoke or not. This principle is the Harm Principle, which is what I propose. The Harm Principle proposed by John Stuart Mill states that "That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others." Since the act of cigarette smoking does not directly harm others, it would be unjust to ban it solely on the basis that it is considered immoral or wrong by some members in society. The Principle makes

Harmful effects on jobs and the economy

Since cigarette smoking consists of Tobacco, the Tobacco industry will be affected over a national ban. The Tobacco industry generated 15.26 billion dollars for the U.S federal government. Statista expects for revenue to increase in the upcoming years, and the U.S would be losing out potential revenue. Not only does the this effect tax revenues, but people working in the Tobacco industry will also be affected, since 800,000 people will lose their jobs. With a ban, these people will suddenly have no job to look for, and this obviously bad, since less spending means, less taxes for the government, and less economic growth. The government will lose taxes in both ways, with a national ban.

A ban would likely not suceed in reducing smoking

The problem with a national ban as Pro has proposed is that there is no gurantee that it prevent people from smoking. As history shows, the Prohibition banned alcohol entirely, yet the booze buisness was more alive than ever, with criminals like Al Capone making billions from it. With the failing drug war in the U.S, there isn't any reason why cigarettes wouldn't be dealed illegally, just like other drugs such as marajuana, cocaine etc.

A rise in gangs

Just like how gangs are making their profit of selling drugs, the banning of cigarettes will likely cause more gangs to pop out, because they now can make profit by selling cigarettes.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 2:37:05 PM
What?
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 3:50:54 PM
At 3/28/2016 3:49:56 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 3/28/2016 2:37:05 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
What?

http://www.debate.org...

Ah, I see. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2016 4:41:54 PM
At 3/28/2016 2:37:05 PM, ColeTrain wrote:
What?

I couldn't post for some reason. So I just posted it here.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k