Jump to topic:

Deaf Or Blind . . .

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:29:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Which would you rather be deaf or blind . . . ?

I would rather be deaf . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:30:23 PM
That's nice. Given the question doesn't say that I have to be either, I would choose to be neither. I'd be much better off being neither deaf nor blind.
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:33:33 PM
Being deaf or blind is too saddening, but I think that being blind is much worse. You cannot see anything. You cannot see how you grow, how your children grow, how things change, etc. That is too bad. Being deaf makes it possible to see things and function properly in many ways.

One thing I am keen to find out is how born-blind people dream or imagine things. It is fascinating.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 5:58:14 PM
At 11/27/2010 5:33:33 PM, Mirza wrote:

One thing I am keen to find out is how born-blind people dream or imagine things. It is fascinating.

I believe that they do not have visual dreams or a minds eye.

PS: Yea I vote deaf.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 6:00:41 PM
At 11/27/2010 5:58:14 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

One of my best friends growing up was deaf AND blind, and from what she told me that is correct - they do not have visual dreams or really dreams at all. She had to take sedatives to sleep like most deaf and blind have to,

I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 6:02:08 PM

Correct, that is what we know for now, but imagination is advanced, and I think that they might think of something visual, but we do not know yet.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 6:11:44 PM
At 11/27/2010 6:00:41 PM, annhasle wrote:

One of my best friends growing up was deaf AND blind, and from what she told me that is correct - they do not have visual dreams or really dreams at all. She had to take sedatives to sleep like most deaf and blind have to,

This is going to sound retarded but how do you have a friendship with someone who is both deaf and blind? In what way can you get meaningful communication?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 6:44:20 PM
At 11/27/2010 6:30:31 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Deaf, though no music (let alone sound at all) would obviously be... mind blowing.

Lack of music would suck, but I would choose deaf over blind as well.

Imagine being blind, deaf, and mute.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 6:52:36 PM
At 11/27/2010 6:11:44 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

This is going to sound retarded but how do you have a friendship with someone who is both deaf and blind? In what way can you get meaningful communication?

By sign language! She would hold out her palm, and I would carefully sign on top of it (in a modified form used for the blind and deaf). It was actually an amazing friendship. I would explain what I saw around me and tell her about my classes while she'd explain what she learned and ask questions. She taught me a lot about perspective. Remember, I had an autistic sister at the time so the friendship wasn't as abnormal to me - I was used to the longer explanations, the constant questions but also the complete genuineness of emotion. Simply put, it was incredible to learn from both Rose and Evelyn.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 7:01:00 PM
At 11/27/2010 6:52:36 PM, annhasle wrote:

By sign language! She would hold out her palm, and I would carefully sign on top of it (in a modified form used for the blind and deaf). It was actually an amazing friendship. I would explain what I saw around me and tell her about my classes while she'd explain what she learned and ask questions. She taught me a lot about perspective. Remember, I had an autistic sister at the time so the friendship wasn't as abnormal to me - I was used to the longer explanations, the constant questions but also the complete genuineness of emotion. Simply put, it was incredible to learn from both Rose and Evelyn.

It's stupid of me but I just could not work out how you could begin to establish a common ground for communication with someone who is deaf-blind. Thats how skewed my perception is. Sounds pretty amazing, her world view must have been totally different, almost as if you were people from totally different worlds.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 7:05:05 PM
At 11/27/2010 7:01:00 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

It's stupid of me but I just could not work out how you could begin to establish a common ground for communication with someone who is deaf-blind. Thats how skewed my perception is. Sounds pretty amazing, her world view must have been totally different, almost as if you were people from totally different worlds.

It's hard to explain what the relationship was like. It felt like I was her eyes and she was my student. But at the same time, she taught me too. She had no concept of war, violence, anguish, etc. She was always happy, inquisitive and caring. She moved to France last year on a scholarship for music; she's absolutely amazing at the piano. I'm supposed to visit her this summer and I can't wait, I haven't seen her for 3 years.
studentathletechristian8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 7:25:01 PM
At 11/27/2010 7:05:05 PM, annhasle wrote:

It's hard to explain what the relationship was like. It felt like I was her eyes and she was my student. But at the same time, she taught me too. She had no concept of war, violence, anguish, etc. She was always happy, inquisitive and caring. She moved to France last year on a scholarship for music; she's absolutely amazing at the piano. I'm supposed to visit her this summer and I can't wait, I haven't seen her for 3 years.

Sucks that she cant hear what she plays.

However, it makes sense. The parts of the brain responsible for visual and auditory senses (occipital and temporal lobes, partially) are now concentrated much more keenly on taste, smell, and especially touch (piano).
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 7:29:04 PM
At 11/27/2010 7:25:01 PM, studentathletechristian8 wrote:
At 11/27/2010 7:05:05 PM, annhasle wrote:

Sucks that she cant hear what she plays.

However, it makes sense. The parts of the brain responsible for visual and auditory senses (occipital and temporal lobes, partially) are now concentrated much more keenly on taste, smell, and especially touch (piano).

Exactly. We used to duel on pianos all the time. She always won since I have the gracefulness of a bull, but it was still fun. ^_^
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 7:33:05 PM
Deaf

Not being able to drive would suck, as well as not being able to tell how hot a girl was. The blind have such low standards...

Also, cochlear implants are easier to get than whatever the visual ones are called.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 8:40:02 PM
Assuming I'm supposed to choose one or the other, I would choose deaf. At least as a deaf person I could still watch movies and use the internet without a problem. I would miss music though. :(
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 8:41:55 PM

That is amazing. I also had a disabled friend while growing up although she was mentally impaired rather than physically impaired.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 8:53:51 PM
At 11/27/2010 8:41:55 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

That is amazing. I also had a disabled friend while growing up although she was mentally impaired rather than physically impaired.

It's definitely a friendship and experience I'll always think fondly of. It's incredible to see what the disabled bring to friendships. Rose (my deaf and blind friend) and Evelyn (my autistic sister) were so similar - they were genuine people. I'm sure you realized with your mentally impaired friend as well, that they teach you a new perspective, y'know? I remember Rose reading a book about war and being completely confused as to why anyone fought. It was a completely different outlook. And trying to explain war to her... Yikes.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 8:59:00 PM
At 11/27/2010 8:53:51 PM, annhasle wrote:

It's definitely a friendship and experience I'll always think fondly of. It's incredible to see what the disabled bring to friendships. Rose (my deaf and blind friend) and Evelyn (my autistic sister) were so similar - they were genuine people. I'm sure you realized with your mentally impaired friend as well, that they teach you a new perspective, y'know? I remember Rose reading a book about war and being completely confused as to why anyone fought. It was a completely different outlook. And trying to explain war to her... Yikes.

Yep, it's an interesting experience for sure. I have experienced these kinds of friendships so I always get really worked up when people ridicule and single out disabled people. They're not really any different from us. In fact, the friendship I had actually showed me to just enjoy some of the simpler things in life.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:01:31 PM
At 11/27/2010 7:33:05 PM, bluesteel wrote:
Deaf

Not being able to drive would suck, as well as not being able to tell how hot a girl was. The blind have such low standards...

Also, cochlear implants are easier to get than whatever the visual ones are called.

You aren't allowed to legally drive if you're deaf either, I'm fairly sure.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:05:38 PM
At 11/27/2010 9:01:31 PM, Korashk wrote:
Deaf

Awww man, I'm already being discriminated against. Who cares if I can't hear stupid people honking at me?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:10:16 PM
At 11/27/2010 8:59:00 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 11/27/2010 8:53:51 PM, annhasle wrote:

Yep, it's an interesting experience for sure. I have experienced these kinds of friendships so I always get really worked up when people ridicule and single out disabled people. They're not really any different from us. In fact, the friendship I had actually showed me to just enjoy some of the simpler things in life.

I agree. Well, I can't stand discrimination of really any kind since I find the entire premise for discrimination to be completely illogical and frustrating as hell. But, whenever I see anyone making fun of (especially bullying) someone deaf, blind, autistic, or impaired by Down syndrome, I will actually become violent. Just last month an autistic girl in 9th grade at my school was raped by a 11th grade boy, and when I found out -... Before he was caught by the police, I ran into him at a park near the school (this is after I found out what he did) and I punched him in the face. Hard. I got charged with assault but it was worth it. Luckily they dropped the charges.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:12:32 PM
At 11/27/2010 9:10:16 PM, annhasle wrote:

I agree. Well, I can't stand discrimination of really any kind since I find the entire premise for discrimination to be completely illogical and frustrating as hell. But, whenever I see anyone making fun of (especially bullying) someone deaf, blind, autistic, or impaired by Down syndrome, I will actually become violent. Just last month an autistic girl in 9th grade at my school was raped by a 11th grade boy, and when I found out -... Before he was caught by the police, I ran into him at a park near the school (this is after I found out what he did) and I punched him in the face. Hard. I got charged with assault but it was worth it. Luckily they dropped the charges.

Those are exactly the kind of people who don't deserve to be alive. That's a pretty scummy thing to do, taking advantage of somebody simply because they're disabled.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:16:20 PM
At 11/27/2010 9:05:38 PM, bluesteel wrote:
At 11/27/2010 9:01:31 PM, Korashk wrote:
Deaf

Awww man, I'm already being discriminated against. Who cares if I can't hear stupid people honking at me?

I think it has more to do with not being able to recognize non line-of-sight hazards and delayed reactions to emergency vehicles because you can't hear them coming.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:16:56 PM
Being deaf or blind is too saddening, but I think that being blind is much worse. You cannot see anything. You cannot see how you grow, how your children grow, how things change, etc. That is too bad. Being deaf makes it possible to see things and function properly in many ways.

how do born-deaf people think? in sign language?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:18:10 PM
At 11/27/2010 9:16:56 PM, badger wrote:

how do born-deaf people think? in sign language?

or am i the only one who hears voices?
signature
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:18:11 PM
At 11/27/2010 9:12:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Those are exactly the kind of people who don't deserve to be alive. That's a pretty scummy thing to do, taking advantage of somebody simply because they're disabled.

The school found out that I was a Suicide Prevention Educator so, when she became suicidal, they allowed me to switch one of my classes to become her Student Assistant. Every day I talk with her and help her get through it but to see the damage he caused and the trauma he put her through just because he can't get a conscious girl to come within 3 ft of his d!ck, it makes me want to punch him again. <sigh> I mean, with my line of "work", I see enough traumatized teenagers but disabled teenagers seem so much more... innocent, y'know?
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2010 9:21:11 PM
At 11/27/2010 9:18:11 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 11/27/2010 9:12:32 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

The school found out that I was a Suicide Prevention Educator so, when she became suicidal, they allowed me to switch one of my classes to become her Student Assistant. Every day I talk with her and help her get through it but to see the damage he caused and the trauma he put her through just because he can't get a conscious girl to come within 3 ft of his d!ck, it makes me want to punch him again. <sigh> I mean, with my line of "work", I see enough traumatized teenagers but disabled teenagers seem so much more... innocent, y'know?

I can definitely relate to the whole suicidal thing, having been there myself, but it must be so much more traumatizing when it's a disabled person going through it. What a depressing job you have there. :(