Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Debate Club

WAM
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 3:25:28 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
For quite some time I have been considering founding a Debate group at my University (if interest is present), meeting regularly on a non-committed, free basis to debate, exchange ideas, discuss, things like that.

As I was very successful in Student debates, I know about the actual debating structure needed quite well, as well as about organisation, as I do that for my sporting club, however, does anyone have any tips or precautions for me? How could I attract members? I know basics of advertisement, after all, I do study Business (though not marketing or anything related). Any experiences?

Kind Regards, WAM
Hayd
Posts: 4,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2016 11:06:12 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 3:25:28 PM, WAM wrote:
For quite some time I have been considering founding a Debate group at my University (if interest is present), meeting regularly on a non-committed, free basis to debate, exchange ideas, discuss, things like that.

As I was very successful in Student debates, I know about the actual debating structure needed quite well, as well as about organisation, as I do that for my sporting club, however, does anyone have any tips or precautions for me? How could I attract members? I know basics of advertisement, after all, I do study Business (though not marketing or anything related). Any experiences?

Kind Regards, WAM

I started a debate club at my school, but as I was the only one really debating, the others just watching, once I made the soccer team and had to go to practices everyday afterschool, it fell apart. I would ask intelligent people you know, kids in your classes that seem intelligent and raise their hands a lot. Put up posters in the hallways and such.
WAM
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2016 6:32:27 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/19/2016 11:06:12 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 4/19/2016 3:25:28 PM, WAM wrote:
For quite some time I have been considering founding a Debate group at my University (if interest is present), meeting regularly on a non-committed, free basis to debate, exchange ideas, discuss, things like that.

As I was very successful in Student debates, I know about the actual debating structure needed quite well, as well as about organisation, as I do that for my sporting club, however, does anyone have any tips or precautions for me? How could I attract members? I know basics of advertisement, after all, I do study Business (though not marketing or anything related). Any experiences?

Kind Regards, WAM

I started a debate club at my school, but as I was the only one really debating, the others just watching, once I made the soccer team and had to go to practices everyday afterschool, it fell apart. I would ask intelligent people you know, kids in your classes that seem intelligent and raise their hands a lot. Put up posters in the hallways and such.

I had the same Ideas. But, as with your case, I think that participation will be the hardest to achieve. Shouldn't be impossible. One of the problems I have is that he University I go to has a lack of really intelligent people, as the University is just about the worst in the state, ratings wise, and as such, the majority of intelligent people wouldn't go there. Of course there are some, just not so many. I know one guy who would be perfect, but he wants to change University (out of obvious reasons). I have made some posters which I will hang out. Well, I'll see if I have any success..
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 4:21:43 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
We have a debate team at my school but it's absolute trash so I don't bother going to it. I've went once and it proves to me why you should never go to a club managed by a feminist with an English degree. Complete and utter crap.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
WAM
Posts: 139
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2016 5:26:30 PM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/21/2016 4:21:43 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
We have a debate team at my school but it's absolute trash so I don't bother going to it. I've went once and it proves to me why you should never go to a club managed by a feminist with an English degree. Complete and utter crap.

I would assume that a feminist with any kind of degree would be sufficient. The fact alone that they are feminist is already kind of the problem here (talking about the 'feminism' we see today, not the actual definition, against which I don't have any kind of problem)

But at least she would have won every debate. She must have always been correct. And if the evidence was against her, must have been the patriarchy.

However, I don't think I will have a problem with that kind of stuff. When I did debate back in school it was quite common that I made girls cry, because I didn't care about political correctness and absolutely wrecking their arguments.

Also, I'm surprised you still go to 'school'. Or did you use the term 'school' loosely here and mean College/University?
bballcrook21
Posts: 4,468
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2016 12:00:45 AM
Posted: 7 months ago
At 4/21/2016 5:26:30 PM, WAM wrote:
At 4/21/2016 4:21:43 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
We have a debate team at my school but it's absolute trash so I don't bother going to it. I've went once and it proves to me why you should never go to a club managed by a feminist with an English degree. Complete and utter crap.

I would assume that a feminist with any kind of degree would be sufficient. The fact alone that they are feminist is already kind of the problem here (talking about the 'feminism' we see today, not the actual definition, against which I don't have any kind of problem)

But at least she would have won every debate. She must have always been correct. And if the evidence was against her, must have been the patriarchy.

However, I don't think I will have a problem with that kind of stuff. When I did debate back in school it was quite common that I made girls cry, because I didn't care about political correctness and absolutely wrecking their arguments.

Also, I'm surprised you still go to 'school'. Or did you use the term 'school' loosely here and mean College/University?

No, I'm in high school. The age it says on ddo is 9 years off.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.